What's the average cost to build a house per sqm in Mabprachan Pattaya

I know every build is different, but what would you say is average cost of 200m=300m single storey house over in the Dark Side.

We (I'm from Scotland Wife Lopburi), are not looking at a cheap build or an overly expensive build.

So thoughts on average per Square metre

10k per m2

15k per m2

20k per m2

• Haha 1

I would say your correct 10k per square metre. Especially in the current  climate. If you want more expensive materials or tiles then discuss that with the builder. and pay the difference. Many people are back up country and desperate work building work. 

2 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

I just received a quote to build 144 sq meter at 2.5 million. That is  17.000 sq. meter for a house with out the tiles, electrical plugs andswithces, bathroom fixturs included. Instead we decided to buy a completely finished furnished house, with mature gardens for 20,000 sq. meter land included. In this climate we found it much cheaper to buy instead of building. Good Luck on your Choice

1 font Veiw.jpg

3-bedroom-house-for-sale-in-hua-hin-prachuap-khiri-khan.jpg

i am with you on this one, if the op will not be in country to supervise the build i would go with buying something already built, from my and friends experiences, building without be on scene 16/7 is asking for trouble.

as to price use the roof as a meterage size to determine price at 14/15,000thb psm

Depends on the level of finish but for a decent finish I would say 10 to 15k is about right for a  2 story house. 15 to 20k for a single story wouldn't be far off due to larger foundation pad and roof area . Note do not fit the old aluminum style windows fit UPVC. They cost more but you will regret it if you don't. These prices should allow for UPVC windows and a good level of roof insulation.  As stated its often cheaper to buy a new finished house and you can see what your getting. Do you already own the land.

3 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

I just received a quote to build 144 sq meter at 2.5 million. That is  17.000 sq. meter for a house with out the tiles, electrical plugs andswithces, bathroom fixturs included. Instead we decided to buy a completely finished furnished house, with mature gardens for 20,000 sq. meter land included. In this climate we found it much cheaper to buy instead of building. Good Luck on your Choice

1 font Veiw.jpg

3-bedroom-house-for-sale-in-hua-hin-prachuap-khiri-khan.jpg

That's 432.000 baht difference , you can get nice tiles electrical plugs and switches for that money and even have some left for furniture . It's not enough to put furniture thru your whole house but for a little more that problem will be fixed and then you will have a brand spanking new house and everything in it brand new as well . Ok everybody their own choice ofcourse but for me the house above would be my choice . 

47 minutes ago, andygrr said:

windows fit UPVC

I agree but I'm disappointed with the security feature for the upvc windows. 

With the brown aluminium style you can fit the horrendous bars but this is out of the question for upvc. 

In Australia you can fit the steel mesh security screens, I have not seen this option in Thailand. 

50 minutes ago, andygrr said:

Depends on the level of finish but for a decent finish I would say 10 to 15k is about right for a  2 story house. 15 to 20k for a single story wouldn't be far off due to larger foundation pad and roof area . Note do not fit the old aluminum style windows fit UPVC. They cost more but you will regret it if you don't. These prices should allow for UPVC windows and a good level of roof insulation.  As stated its often cheaper to buy a new finished house and you can see what your getting. Do you already own the land.

We are in the process of buying the land, its 2,300m it already has 2 small property’s on it so we can stay in them for now and get a feel for what we want later, knowing my wife she’ll be happy staying in the existing buildings. But I want something a bit more.

But that leads me back to the Head over heart, the heart will want 4-5 bed new build, where the head will say 3 beds are enough.

Important Note.

My wife said we shouldn’t make the bedrooms too nice or the children will never leave.

my budget will be say 3-4m for the build, and them another 2 for Pimping it out, windows are super important, i want plenty of light

Another bonus of buying a house built a few years ago will also mean that any initial problems with things like leaking roofs, dodgy plumbing, electrical problems will have been rectified by other owners / occupiers. These problems can be many and costly to rectify.

I had a good friend had a new ( massive ) house built, he spent a lot of money, over 12 million Baht on it, the build was completed during the dry season, at the 1st heavy rain the roof leaked and a fair bit of the internal ceilings collapsed.

Only posted for info for you to consider.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 4:37 AM, bolt said:

So thoughts on average per Square metre

10k per m2

15k per m2

20k per m2

It's like a rubber band, depending of the quality you expect, the building materials, and the finish.

You says that your are "not looking at a cheap build or an overly expensive build", then the area of 25k baht per square meter might be an average figure to count with, i.e. 5 million baht for 200 square meters, and 7.5 million baht for 300 square meters.

I build my house 11-12 years ago, not low end, neither high end, and it costed me 25k baht per square meter all inclusive (building costs, not land included) for a 3-story house. The minimum wage has gone up with another 40-50 percent, so that labor cost is higher now, whilst many materials follows market price, like for example World market price for steel. By that time the going calculation for a reasonable construction was from 15k baht per square meter and up, depending of materials and finish; my next door neighbor build a bit more up-end - for example sandstone tiled floors and teak wood doors - which ended up in the level of 50k baht per square meter for a 2-story house.

There might be a noticeable difference in money, but no visually noticeable, by for example choosing double walls from aerated concrete instead og single brick walls made from the cheapest blocks - aerated bricks costs 4-5 times as much - but you will in longer term save a lot in aircon-power; a bit like if you want to buy now with a discount, or pay it for ever-terms with an interest.

You can for example also save a lot on cheap roof materials - which means something when you build 200-300 square meters in one level - but your roof might begin leaking after a few years, and might need replaced after 10 or so years, so the it might be more costly to save on roof now, than to place 50 percent extra investment up there and get a roof that will last for 20+ years, made of galvanized steel with proper water tight tiles constructed by professionals, without any cement of the roof that cracks after a fews years with potential water damage as the result.

For finishing the trick is to find materials - i.e. floor tiles, decoration tiles, hardware etc. - that gives a little high end appearance, but actually are affordable to buy; i.e. you can find nice floor tiles for around 400 baht per square meter, which might look as great as tiles that costs double as much, or more...:thumbsup:

There are a number of good threads in ASEAN NOW forum about building a house in Thailand, where you can find lots of inspiration, good advices and often also price indications...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's like a rubber band, depending of the quality you expect, the building materials, and the finish.

You says that your are "not looking at a cheap build or an overly expensive build", then the area of 25k baht per square meter might be an average figure to count with, i.e. 5 million baht for 200 square meters, and 7.5 million baht for 300 square meters.

I build my house 11-12 years ago, not low end, neither high end, and it costed me 25k baht per square meter all inclusive (building costs, not land included) for a 3-story house. The minimum wage has gone up with another 40-50 percent, so that labor cost is higher now, whilst many materials follows market price, like for example World market price for steel. By that time the going calculation for a reasonable construction was from 15k baht per square meter and up, depending of materials and finish; my next door neighbor build a bit more up-end - for example sandstone tiled floors and teak wood doors - which ended up in the level of 50k baht per square meter for a 2-story house.

There might be a noticeable difference in money, but no visually noticeable, by for example choosing double walls from aerated concrete instead og single brick walls made from the cheapest blocks - aerated bricks costs 4-5 times as much - but you will in longer term save a lot in aircon-power; a bit like if you want to buy now with a discount, or pay it for ever-terms with an interest.

You can for example also save a lot on cheap roof materials - which means something when you build 200-300 square meters in one level - but your roof might begin leaking after a few years, and might need replaced after 10 or so years, so the it might be more costly to save on roof now, than to place 50 percent extra investment up there and get a roof that will last for 20+ years, made of galvanized steel with proper water tight tiles constructed by professionals, without any cement of the roof that cracks after a fews years with potential water damage as the result.

For finishing the trick is to find materials - i.e. floor tiles, decoration tiles, hardware etc. - that gives a little high end appearance, but actually are affordable to buy; i.e. you can find nice floor tiles for around 400 baht per square meter, which might look as great as tiles that costs double as much, or more...:thumbsup:

There are a number of good threads in ASEAN NOW forum about building a house in Thailand, where you can find lots of inspiration, good advices and often also price indications...????

thanks some great points 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Another bonus of buying a house built a few years ago will also mean that any initial problems with things like leaking roofs, dodgy plumbing, electrical problems will have been rectified by other owners / occupiers. These problems can be many and costly to rectify.

I had a good friend had a new ( massive ) house built, he spent a lot of money, over 12 million Baht on it, the build was completed during the dry season, at the 1st heavy rain the roof leaked and a fair bit of the internal ceilings collapsed.

Only posted for info for you to consider.

thanks for your post.

Unless the previous house matches what you want, then you may end up buying a house that doesn’t suit your needs.

We have a general idea what we want, and this will be the second house in Thailand so we have an idea what doesn’t work well also.

Checking the integrity to the roof tiles should have been dealt with by a robust QA-QC process, for example spraying the roof with X amount of water until you’re satisfied its sealed properly.

So many fine points to follow up on I agree

• Like 1

Do not look to build in the Mabrachan area.

the Land costs are high in comparison to other locations close by this one.

If you are going for your own build, do not do so without being on site Daily.

I can tell you from experience, that if you are not, you are potentially heading for a World of hurt.

• Like 1

I have a question about the build price. What exactly is included in the  average quotes per Square meter.  The house I posed at 17,000 per sq. did not include walls, tiles and trims, toilets showers, kitchen and appliances, Garden gate, pvc windows, window curtains, screens ect. ect ect. My build qute came in at 2.5m and I estimated another 1.5m for mediam grade fitings, wall, driveway.

Are people quoting per sq. m. prices with  full house with standard contractor grade fittings, (example do the prices include fitted bathrooms, kitchens) or is it the normal non standardized confusion here, (as in most cases) when you are getting quotes for a build. Peoples experience with what was include in the initial quotes received would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

While it is tempting to built a great big double-storey house with 4 or 5 bedrooms, your wife is right. The bedrooms could soon fill up with relatives and friends. Just go for the minimum number of bedrooms you really need. When relatives come they can all pile into the living room or wherever for a night or two.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Do not look to build in the Mabrachan area.

the Land costs are high in comparison to other locations close by this one.

If you are going for your own build, do not do so without being on site Daily.

I can tell you from experience, that if you are not, you are potentially heading for a World of hurt.

You’re telling me not to do this and not to do that, I take you had an bad experience.

I want this area, my wife will follow me. the size is 2,300m2 and I'm a keen golfer who plays at Siam 2 - 3 times per week. my wife wants to Farm all day every day

I plan to have an expat project manager, and I believe this will remove the strain of having your other half as translator, I believe that’s the biggest mistake in LOS.

We plan to take a back seat, and speak to the PM every 2-5 days on certain things.

Dr. Dave I totally agree with your specs for getting a price on a new build Basic Shell Only .

Still I am wondering if the prices we are hearing from other members is for basic shell or more.  From members own experience I would like to know what the initial price from various builders included.

1 hour ago, bolt said:

You’re telling me not to do this and not to do that, I take you had an bad experience.

I want this area, my wife will follow me. the size is 2,300m2 and I'm a keen golfer who plays at Siam 2 - 3 times per week. my wife wants to Farm all day every day

I plan to have an expat project manager, and I believe this will remove the strain of having your other half as translator, I believe that’s the biggest mistake in LOS.

We plan to take a back seat, and speak to the PM every 2-5 days on certain things.

If you are planning to use the Services of a Project Manager, then all the various issues I pointed out to you as potential pitfalls will be taken care of.

Good Luck with the build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

Dr. Dave I totally agree with your specs for getting a price on a new build Basic Shell Only .

Still I am wondering if the prices we are hearing from other members is for basic shell or more.  From members own experience I would like to know what the initial price from various builders included.

I’m guessing the finishing part will be 25-40% of the total costs, people will Pimp out the final build because the Heart Normally Rules the Head.

My Total budget will be based on initial Build, then a further 50% of that to finish up furnish Pimp it out etc.  

So say 3m build, 1.5m finish, so I “THINK” single Storey 250m2 = 4.5m so approx. 18km2

10 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

We built a small 2 bed 1 bath 68 m2 house for family about 12 years ago in the northern provinces. In this case, we got a quote for the labor, and then purchased all of the materials ourselves.  Labor was fixed at 1,800 per m2 (126,000), and the cost of materials for the basic shell came to 224,000.  (I kept detailed records of all the materials we bought). Finish was to a typical Thai standard (not something I would want for myself), and added only about 75,000 to the cost of the shell.

If considering getting a quote for the basic shell, you'll need to be very specific in terms of what you expect the basic shell to include.

Consider:

Structural: footings, tile-ready cement floor, all exterior walls, all interior walls, windows (to your spec), exterior doors (to your spec), steel roof framing, roof materials (to your spec), soffits, ceiling insulation and gypsum, perimeter concrete. All walls rendered. Interior and exterior paint (if desired).

Rough-ins: recessed electrical boxes, plastic conduit and wiring for all outlets and switches. Consumer box with circuit breakers, wire drops for recessed lighting, shower heaters, appliances and air conditioners, mains wiring and connection. Water and drain lines for all sinks, toilets and showers, septic system. Connection to water source. Electric and water meters. Water tank, pump and filtration rough-ins (if needed)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrDave said:

If considering getting a quote for the basic shell, you'll need to be very specific in terms of what you expect the basic shell to include.

Consider:

Structural: footings, tile-ready cement floor, all exterior walls, all interior walls, windows (to your spec), exterior doors (to your spec), steel roof framing, roof materials (to your spec), soffits, ceiling insulation and gypsum, perimeter concrete. All walls rendered. Interior and exterior paint (if desired).

Rough-ins: recessed electrical boxes, plastic conduit and wiring for all outlets and switches. Consumer box with circuit breakers, wire drops for recessed lighting, shower heaters, appliances and air conditioners, mains wiring and connection. Water and drain lines for all sinks, toilets and showers, septic system. Connection to water source. Electric and water meters. Water tank, pump and filtration rough-ins (if needed)

Dr thanks for the fantastic insight, if you're not specific then they have every right to say "you didn't ask for this. you have to pay more" I would do exactly the same.

I think the Basic Shell should include ALL underground utilities, and any future expansion works that you may not finish in the 1st phase. we're going solar with battery’s, so that needs to be added to the Basic Shell list

my list keeps getting added to, and the future Project manager needs to be aligned with me before he starts

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1