Pheu Thai confident it will win next election no matter which ballot system is used

snoop1130

Thai-election1.jpg

Thailand’s opposition Pheu Thai party is not concerned whether the constitutional amendments will be approved by the Senate, as the party expects to win the next election, said opposition chief whip Sutin Klangsang today (Wednesday), ahead of the vote whether to accept the popular two-ballot system proposition on Friday.

The amendment to revert to the old two-ballot system, with one for 400 constitutional MPs and the other for 100 party-list MPs, instead of the current proportional representation system, is due to be voted on in the joint sitting of the House and the Senate this Friday.

The amendments bill needs at least 84 senators to vote in favour for its passage through the third reading.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-confident-it-will-win-next-election-no-matter-which-ballot-system-is-used/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Always assuming it doesn't get nobbled  beforehand.

That would be the expected move - ridding any real threatening opposition by the elitist classes. 

Historic precedent. 

And so it goes. 

It's totally absurd. They might win the popular vote, of course, but why the junta would... vote to go back to the previous system ?

With their current system, they totally control the senate ! Hence, any prime minister nomination.

It's not a bug... it's a feature !

????

• Like 1

Well, whatever the system used, we can bet there will be last minutes bans and rule changes in order to make sure the green/yellow network wins. Even if PTP wins, there will be still the appointed Senate, the Strategic Committee, etc....

16 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, whatever the system used, we can bet there will be last minutes bans and rule changes in order to make sure the green/yellow network wins. Even if PTP wins, there will be still the appointed Senate, the Strategic Committee, etc....

Remembering who controls everything.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Opposition have no chance without the Senate votes. As a majority of the 250 Senators were hand picked ex Army/Police Generals pretty obvious who they will be voting for....

"Premier for Life" is beginning to sound quite fashionable.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s opposition Pheu Thai party is not concerned whether the constitutional amendments will be approved by the Senate, as the party expects to win the next election,

They must know something we don't. 

• Thanks 1

Now... a little overly confident there, Pheu Thai, aren't we? After all:

North Korea: No matter which ballot system is used, Kim Jong-un will ALWAYS win.

P.R. of China: No matter which ballot system is used, the CCP ALWAYS comes out on top.

Turkmenistan: No matter which ballot system is used. Gurbangyuly Berdimuhamedov ALWAYS is the champ.

Belarus: No matter which ballot system is used, Alexander Lukashenko makes sure to ALWAYS prevail.

Thailand: No matter which ballot system is used, Uncle Too et al know a few tricks in order to...

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

Of course they will win Takky will pay everyone to vote for him again.

I'm not happy with this current Govt as they have well overstayed their welcome, but if the country goes back to Pheu Thai controlled by Takky then it will be even worse off than it is now IMHO.

I've been here almost 20 years and remember all the nastiness that came along with Pheu Thai.

I hope there is a 3rd option.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Of course they will win Takky will pay everyone to vote for him again.

I'm not happy with this current Govt as they have well overstayed their welcome, but if the country goes back to Pheu Thai controlled by Takky then it will be even worse off than it is now IMHO.

I've been here almost 20 years and remember all the nastiness that came along with Pheu Thai.

I hope there is a 3rd option.

Yes the "nastiness" that resulted in Pheu Thai being elected by a landslide and prior to that likewise with TRT.

What I class as "nastiness" is a bunch of armed thugs led by Suthep stopping citizens from voting and forcing the democratically elected Yingluk to flee the country leaving the door open for this current junta.

If it was "nastiness" under Pheu Thai then I say bring it on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I keep saying it; the only way this bunch of Gangsters is going to be removed is by millions on the streets and a General Strike, a few thousand Students plus a few stragglers will never shift them.

And remains the same over generations - 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, RichardColeman said:

Generals should concentrate on military and police matter - not running countries. Mind you once they have filled their pockets and emptied the coffers enough they may step aside for a few years.

Actually, military and policing systems needn't be that dominate throughout a Buddhist culture.

But.....that's another edition to be explored.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, RichardColeman said:

Generals should concentrate on military and police matter - not running countries. Mind you once they have filled their pockets and emptied the coffers enough they may step aside for a few years.

How might've you come to such a conclusion? 

If what you've mentioned above is true, they would've stepped aside a generation [or two] ago. 

The unsavoury financial benefits are an incentive, but what it really gets down to is the power and control that shapes their destiny. 

.....and the principle reason for their existence - protection of traditional institutions. All of which, have gone to seed. 

So....the game has become rather moot.