Looking for original (real) Chang

Boarn

22 minutes ago, Puccini said:

On my part, I am trying to remember the name of the beer, discontinued eons ago for lack of demand, with a rather long name, six or more letters starting with A, I believe.

I remember a cheap beer in Thailand starting with an A about 10-15 years ago, you talking about Archa?

35423.jpeg

Edited by bbko

Launched in 1995, the original Chang was approx 6.4% in a brown bottle. Was a wonderful, strong, bitter brew. Had a local nickname of "Demon Brew". ????

In 2015 ThaiBev ruined it by rebranding it as Chang Classic...the crappy swill available now, in the green bottle, and approx 5-5.5% alcohol. ????

• Like 1

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

Launched in 1995, the original Chang was approx 6.4% in a brown bottle. Was a wonderful, strong, bitter brew. Had a local nickname of "Demon Brew". ????

In 2015 ThaiBev ruined it by rebranding it as Chang Classic...the crappy swill available now, in the green bottle, and approx 5-5.5% alcohol. ????

Wasn't the alcohol content also unregulated ?

Meaning that it was a minimum of 6.4 % , sometimes going into double figures if you managed to get a good one . 

That is why they bought out Chang export , otherwise Chang would have been liable if someone abroad bought a strong Chang and consumed more alcohol than stated 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wasn't the alcohol content also unregulated ?

Meaning that it was a minimum of 6.4 % , sometimes going into double figures if you managed to get a good one . 

That is why they bought out Chang export , otherwise Chang would have been liable if someone abroad bought a strong Chang and consumed more alcohol than stated 

Not sure about that. But if so, perhaps the reason for the nickname "Demon Brew"! 

13 minutes ago, marin said:

Amarit, long gone over 20 years ago I think..

They said it disappeared from the market in the 70's so couldn't be Amarit. That was still available in all the bars in the 90's. You can still find it but it is brewed for the export market.

9 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Thank you. Yes, Amarit is the brand I was trying to remember.

It was never much but in the old days about the only alternative to Singha - never seemed to be marketed well and sold to San Mig in 2003 for only 97 million.  Believe they changed the taste but never tried it.  

Edited by lopburi3

If you did find some of the original Chang it wouldn't be worth drinking any more.  Beer does not age well.  The exception being some of the really dark, strong stouts.

I Believe Chang was 6.9% when it first came out.  But the alcohol content has been reduced several times to where it is now the same as the other regular commercial beers.

Edited by rwill

11 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

yeah seen only Chang Lite in shops. perhaps large Tesco Lotus or Central Mall Food Hall would have Chang Original ? LEO fan myself…..

I must confess that over the last year of so, I have become disappointed in Singha and Chang and feel that they are rather tasteless, however I have discovere Lao and thoroughly enjoy a bottle or so each week.