Almost half a million Thais have heart disease

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Yesterday September 29th was World Heart Day.

Heart expert Dr Chayut Chiwaphreuk of the Pahaythai Nawamin Heart Center was center stage on the auspicious occasion and gave out the stats in Thailand.

And Daily News called it a shock.

Right now 430,000 Thais are having treatment for heart and heart related conditions.

Two Thais are dying every hour amounting to 20,000 deaths a year.

The doctor stressed the importance of exercise and proper rest saying that people should seek regular heart check-ups to reduce their risk.  

asean_now_BB.jpg

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The prevalence of fried foods here is a big culprit. And even worse is the quality of the oil. When you eat fried foods with an oil that has a high flash point like sunflower, olive or rice bran (which is just a few baht per liter more than the junk oils like soybean, cottonseed, etc.), you improve your chances of avoiding serious disease. Of course this is possible at home. I have even spoken to my in-laws about spending an extra 10 baht a liter for rice bran oil, which tastes good, and is widely available. Not possible when eating out. 

20200923_kitakawa_pic1.jpg

I've always been told from dietitians that olive oil should be avoided for frying, while it's excellent in cold food, for example in salads.

The dietitians I know all says that palm oil and coconut oil are the best for frying, both are available here at affordable prices, however the coconut oil is two-three times as expensive as palm oil, but seems to have a number of health benefits, so might be well worth the money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Palm oil can be absolutely deadly for frying. Multiple sources for that. See below. Olive oil is amazing for frying. It is all about the flash point. Rice bran oil tastes good, and is cheap here. Both are very healthy choices. 

Research has shown that extra-virgin olive oil has a relatively high smoke point of 376°F (191°C), and is safe to use for most cooking methods, including frying.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266258

Rice Bran Oil is truly “The World’s Healthiest” edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free.  It [s not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more.  Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious.  Use it to fry, saute in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil.  Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting. Rice bran oil is vastly superior to traditional cooking oils and can be considered a nutraceutical (food as medicine) oil that is perfect for all your healthy cooking needs.  Rice Bran Oil is quickly becoming a favorite in commercial frying to replace hydrogenated oils that contain trans fat.  This is due to rice bran oils health, flavor and performance benefits.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/information/ricebranoil.htm

Although all palm oil is high in saturated fat, oxidized palm oil presents even greater health risks. The oxidization occurs during processing for culinary use, generating toxins that adversely affect the heart, liver, kidneys and lungs. Raw, unprocessed palm oil isn't associated with these effects when fresh; however, studies link a boost in atherosclerosis development in as little as six months when reheating palm oil to cook foods.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/palm-oil-health-hazards-7375.html

Totally different from what I hear and find in published studies, but science and experts often seems to disagree...????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The doctor stressed the importance of exercise and proper rest

I've witnessed Thai exercise, standing on the spot flapping their arms forwards and backwards, then get on the Honda wave to ride 50yards to the shop to buy a 3ltr bottle of  Pepsi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Rice Bran Oil is truly “The World’s Healthiest” edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free.  It [s not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more.  Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious.  Use it to fry, saute in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil.  Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting. Rice bran oil is vastly superior to traditional cooking oils and can be considered a nutraceutical (food as medicine) oil that is perfect for all your healthy cooking needs.  Rice Bran Oil is quickly becoming a favorite in commercial frying to replace hydrogenated oils that contain trans fat.  This is due to rice bran oils health, flavor and performance benefits.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/information/ricebranoil.htm

I always thought that highly refined oils were bad for you due to oxidation that can lead to inflammation inside the body. Doesn't rice bran oil fall into that category? Must have missed the update on that one. One would think that natural, stable fats like lard, tallow, duck fat, coconut oil, butter, gee, etc., should be more protective for the ol' ticker.

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Palm oil can be absolutely deadly for frying. Multiple sources for that. See below. Olive oil is amazing for frying. It is all about the flash point. Rice bran oil tastes good, and is cheap here. Both are very healthy choices. 

I thought we all used air fryers these days ........ no oil at all.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought we all used air fryers these days ........ no oil at all.

I’m not impressed with our air fryer. Food tastes greasy and I asked my wife to put it will all the other ‘only used once’ stuff.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Wonder how that will work out with the most common side effects from vaxx, heart problems. Anyway, 2 people per hour, and we are still in a curfew at 8-9PM.

in a couple of months they will know more  about the Pfizer syndrom

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

One would think that natural, stable fats like lard, tallow, duck fat, coconut oil, butter, gee, etc., should be more protective for the ol' ticker.

If by protective you mean laying a nice cushiony layer inside your arteries to allow blood to flow in a more relaxed fashion (read slower or not at all) then I guess so !

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tonray said:

If by protective you mean laying a nice cushiony layer inside your arteries to allow blood to flow in a more relaxed fashion (read slower or not at all) then I guess so !

Crikey! I didn't think there was anyone left who still bought into the artery-clogging saturated fat hypothesis. It's inflammation—and the refined/processed foods that cause it—that are the biggest threat to arteries. Or maybe I'm wrong and have been reading fake science. It happens ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, uli65 said:
3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Wonder how that will work out with the most common side effects from vaxx, heart problems. Anyway, 2 people per hour, and we are still in a curfew at 8-9PM.

in a couple of months they will know more  about the Pfizer syndrom

Too late for some. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately it’s the saturated fat from animal sources, primarily the processed pork deep fried in “all oils” that is the main cause of atherosclerosis which leads to heart disease. Sugar alone is not the Villain. Although consumed alongside saturated fat you have a deadly cocktail.  WFPBD has been proven time & time again to show its the healthiest way to live. 

16 hours ago, timendres said:

The US would declare a national holiday to have numbers so low...

That could be said for most of the English-speaking West and their poor choice of what might pass as food. 

Generally speaking, might have the worse diet and unhealthy populations in the world.