Transferwise Charges if you cancel a transfer.

Yesterday i was in the process of setting up a transfer when during the process T/W informed me that if i cancelled the transfer i would be subject to increased fees in a subsequent transfer, they stated that the cancellation of transfers cost them money.

Now i can't remember the exact details but it was something like from .4 to .5 ??? As i can no longer get the info back up i can't supply the exact info they stated. I'm in the habit of booking a transfer and "not paying till later" and seeing if the rate improves during the guarantee period, if it does i cancel the transfer and re-book at the higher rate.

I've gone through their site in an attempt to get this info but without success, i even tried to do another small transfer (50GBP) this morning hoping that this info would reappear but to no avail. 

Has anyone else experienced this ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Has anyone else experienced this ? 

Did cancellations and restart a couple of times without any extra fees or messages.

But that was a "few" since 2018.

I remember having seen some abuse clauses in their terms?

• Like 1

Once I began a Wise transfer and realized I needed to send a larger amount so I cancelled and started over with a different amount. After that, when making transfers there was a message asking me to agree that if cancelled a transfer it would cost me (I don't remember the details). I clicked a box showing I agreed. 

I recall the message more often appeared when I was making a larger transfer. It stopped appearing completely in a month or two after a few more transfers were made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

Once I began a Wise transfer and realized I needed to send a larger amount so I cancelled and started over with a different amount. After that, when making transfers there was a message asking me to agree that if cancelled a transfer it would cost me (I don't remember the details). I clicked a box showing I agreed. 

I recall the message more often appeared when I was making a larger transfer. It stopped appearing completely in a month or two after a few more transfers were made.

Thanks for your confirmation. That would explain why i did'nt get the message on the 50GBP transfer.

Happened to me the first time I used them---they cancelled then put that message up-- I wrote and told them that they didn't show the stipulation that they would only accept max of $AUS-18K  if coming from a Debit/Credit Card. Until after I had tried to transfer .

Yes - I too was in the habit of cancelling an already-set-up transfer if the rates suddenly went down. I had done this perhaps a half a dozen times (over a period of about 3 years) when I got an on-screen message with my next transfer. It seems like they got picky about this sometime during the course of this year.

Edited by robsamui

32 minutes ago, bbko said:

On their website there's a whole page explaining cancelations and when fees take place;

https://wise.com/help/articles/2978072/whats-the-cancellation-fee?origin=related-article-2971422

I am also using Instarem, it doesn't cost me anything to cancel a transaction if I haven't transferred the money to Instarem yet.

Instarem allows me 18 hours to transfer the money (at the fixed exchange rate) to them so in the meantime, if I change my mind I can cancel without any cost.

You guys might want to change to Instarem instead. Their fees are also much lower.

Edited by EricTh

I play the Guaranteed Rate wait game all the time. Have literally canceled dozens of paused transfers, with no money paid yet, and then proceeded with a new transfer at higher rate. Never had any issues or warnings.

Have noticed the Guaranteed Rate time has gone WAY down. Used to get 48-72 hours and up to 84 hours over weekends. Now get 7-12 hours most times.

Recently switched to MoneyGram. It's SLOW compared to Wise (TransferWise), but better overall rate after Wise fees and more baht for my buck.