Foreign tourists can now apply to stay for up to nine months in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, at15 said:

its called the STV, we are now entering year 2 of this program. How is this news??

well the current STV I believe is expiring or ending soon.  SoThais, being the un original copy cats they are, are kind of copying that again, but with a different strings attached.  I am over 50 so most likely will go for the "new" Non Imm O visa that the USA Thai embassies are now offering.  Before they had OAs but that requires Thai insurance, in addition to of course the COVID stipulations.  The O visa before, was only available if in Thailand.  The O visa for long stay and elibigible for retirement extensions, at the moment does not requie Thai insurance/  My global insurance is fine for anything I might need in Thailand, although for simplicity I may get the cheapest Thai insurance available just to smooth things out.  I can afford it, and if it makes things easier, it may be worth spending the bucks.  I am still waiting to see how the Nov 1 open with Vaccination proof really works and if there will be good enough airline flights through countries and with airlines I like available

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Have people really had to show they were staying in the same place for 9 months or different places but paid in advance for all?

No requirement or reason to book the whole period as the initial stay is only 90 days followed by two possible extensions!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gk10012001 said:

Have people really had to show they were staying in the same place for 9 months or different places but paid in advance for all?

Yes.

1 minute ago, gk10012001 said:

I doubt people did that.

More than a few reports of people using Agoda etc. with the ability to cancel bookings.

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I would go for that if it were that simple.  But I am not paying 9 months in advance for a place.

See above re paying but the main thing to remember is you can't change an STV to a different visa in Thailand. The limitations and requirements that made it, IMO, a bad choice when first offered are still the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am on a STV. Proof of accommodation can be obtained via a booking that can be cancelled. Insurance is a bit more expensive but no big deal. You know when you sign up that it cannot be converted. For those who wish to spend 9 months here without commiting to a long term visa it works. Not for everyone obviously 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

The STV lasts for 3 months, with 2 optional 3 month extensions. I think you'd "only" need to book somewhere for the first 3 months.

That said, it's a ridiculous requirement.

Fair enough and doable.  Although I was planning on renting a condo and really prefer checking it out in person once I arrive before signing zee papers. But as others posted, there are options for booking places, canceling, etc.  All doable.  Just the usual watch out for the Thai "hooks".  I love the place and have been 15 times, but there are a lot of gators in the moat waiting to take a bite

• Like 2

As I have yet to hear of a poor Insurance Company, how does it work if, say, you have  insurance issued in your home country, but thinking to be safe, you also take out insurance  from a Thai company, and  you have an illness/injury  in Thailand requiring medical treatment.    Knowing   insurance companies  extreme reluctance to part with money,  would there  be a bun fight between to the companies as to whom, if any would pay any    costs, as I doubt  both would   .

22 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Oh how the mighty have fallen, LOL!

Before you could beg, plead, do whatever, you must go and come back.  Now look at them.  

This is desperation.  Pure and simple..  

"This is desperation.  Pure and simple.. " 

But not deep enough yet ...to become workable to have big result

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

As I have yet to hear of a poor Insurance Company, how does it work if, say, you have  insurance issued in your home country, but thinking to be safe, you also take out insurance  from a Thai company, and  you have an illness/injury  in Thailand requiring medical treatment.    Knowing   insurance companies  extreme reluctance to part with money,  would there  be a bun fight between to the companies as to whom, if any would pay any    costs, as I doubt  both would   .

There is I fear a high possibility of your home insurance punting and saying your Thai insurance would now be the primary.  Had some discussions on this in the past without a lot of resolution.  That lady Sheryl that posts a lot about insurance may have some insight

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

You read the first part and you think to yourself: About time.. and than comes the caveat and the buts... no free launch in this country who needs tourists like air to breath...

Like all military juntas, anal retentive. Can't let go.

Edited by BusyB

"First of all, they must agree to a period of quarantine, "

What the hemorrhaging Hades for?

And will I get a reentry stamp or am I condemned to stay in Thailand once I'm in? I also travel abroad anyway when I'm there - use LOS as a long term home base.

Edited by BusyB