Thailand reports 11,200 new COVID-19 cases, 113 deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:
Effective today, Chanthaburi has banned all sales of alcohol until further notice. Including all stores. They state this will help stop Covid-19 and parties they claim are fueling more cases.

The order was due to the Covid-19 clusters found among drinkers that had been gathered in various places in the province. The governor said that the officials are currently unable to control the spreading of the virus.

Therefore, the sale, distribution, exchange of all types of liquor and alcohol in department stores, shopping centers, community malls General stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants or any gathering place is prohibited, said the governor.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The order was due to the Covid-19 clusters found among drinkers that had been gathered in various places in the province. The governor said that the officials are currently unable to control the spreading of the virus.

Therefore, the sale, distribution, exchange of all types of liquor and alcohol in department stores, shopping centers, community malls General stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants or any gathering place is prohibited, said the governor.

Everybody who want drink can get alcohol! Mom&pop shops sell that anyway. I think even governor not spit in glass! 

So lots of people want to know what the number of tests/day is.  A bit of research leads to https://github.com/djay/covidthailand#testing where we find the PCR tests/day. These in turn come from https://www3.dmsc.moph.go.th. So for the last two weeks (data updated to Oct. 2nd) we get the following (see table). More interesting data on the latter site with details of the accredited labs for COVID PCR-tests (now more than 350 though on some days they manage less than 30,000 tests !). Now the fun starts: the number of positive tests is a lot lower than the officially reported  number of confirmed cases. This trend started roughly mid July and early September the number of positives was some 33% lower than the confirmed cases (see figs). The github site has a few pages on the possible reasons for the discrepancy which you can read yourself but there is no clear answer. I did note that some of the accredited hospitals potentially use pooled samples which in theory allow detection of more than one case per PCR test. 

Looking at the table another unexpected observation: the number of tests/day varies by a factor of almost two, yet the positive rate is in a narrow range (15-18%). Unfortunately there seems to be little explanation on the moph site what the data actually represent it is just given as 'date/positive/tests'.

There are loads of other data on the github site.

image.png.077bab8528139695956327a2a22eb819.png

cases_2.thumb.png.f48d8f05a9d5b8d647666670660afd08.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't see tourist dependent provinces going along with that idea.....the place mentioned, Chanthaburi, isn't a big tourist attraction anyhow....

Would have to disagree with you as it is a jumping off place to head to many places and does quite well with tourism.  Many places to see and things to do before jumping off to the islands Koh Chang, Koh Poda, and Koh Kut, as well as having several of the border crossings with Cambodia.  Ergo why they probably are worried about cases expanding. It is not that far from Bangkok, Pattaya or Ang Thong

Chantaburi has had 11,664 Covid cases so far during the Covid pandemic, and with 264 cases reported yesterday has a reason to tighten up things in their view.

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:
Effective today, Chanthaburi has banned all sales of alcohol until further notice. Including all stores. They state this will help stop Covid-19 and parties they claim are fueling more cases.

As @ThailandRyan has mentioned, this to me is just unbelievable in a developing country.

Anyone i know who has been a long term visitor to Thailand, is just going to give the place a wide berth.

What happens when the packed gogo's of Nana Plaza and LK Metro get going.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would have to disagree with you as it is a jumping off place to head to many places and does quite well with tourism.  Many places to see and things to do before jumping off to the islands Koh Chang, Koh Poda, and Koh Kut, as well as having several of the border crossings with Cambodia.  Ergo why they probably are worried about cases expanding. It is not that far from Bangkok, Pattaya or Ang Thong

Chantaburi has had 11,664 Covid cases so far during the Covid pandemic, and with 264 cases reported yesterday has a reason to tighten up things in their view.

Guess the gem dealers from those far away places are not to blame? 

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would have to disagree with you as it is a jumping off place to head to many places and does quite well with tourism.  Many places to see and things to do before jumping off to the islands Koh Chang, Koh Poda, and Koh Kut,

For me it was simply a drive through place to get to them. The only attraction I recall was some temple up some ruddy great exhausting hill, very difficult to get to and the type of thing off my list these days..... hardly doing much to worry Phuket and Samui. I guess high numbers of Covid are due to the border proximity.... yes I have used those too, but I hardly even knew which Thai province I was in to simply get my passport stamped again. 

From 4am on Monday 11th October, Thailand will no longer be on the red list for entering England. Also, Thailand will be added to the list of countries and territories with approved proof of vaccination. Thailand travel advice https://gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus… #Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, anchadian said:

From 4am on Monday 11th October, Thailand will no longer be on the red list for entering England. Also, Thailand will be added to the list of countries and territories with approved proof of vaccination. Thailand travel advice https://gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus… #Thailand

Good news, I see they’re not accepting Sinovac or Sinopharm as one of those approved vaccines though. No surprise there.

Now lets wait and see if they are moved down to Level 3 for the US instead of being at Level 4, which will make it more amenable for folks to travel here.  However, the current restrictions on quarantine will still pose a problem for many folks as 1 week in quarantine, be it a Sandbox or not for vaccinated folks and the multiple testing via PCR will still keep people from coming if they only have a 2 week vacation.  However, the caveat here is that the sandbox destinations need to be laid out for all to see so they can decide if it is affordable for them, if the locations are amenable to local travel without a guide and so on.

COVID-19: Thailand reports 11,140 new coronavirus cases, 116 deaths

COV8.JPG

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Friday ( October 8 ) reported 11,140 new COVID-19 cases, 9,933 recoveries and 116 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1234591-covid-19-thailand-reports-11140-new-coronavirus-cases-116-deaths/

//CLOSED//

/Admin