Thais tending to avoid exercise during pandemic are vulnerable to NCDs

snoop1130

ตกงาน..jpg

More Thai people are tending to be less physically active during the COVID-19 pandemic, with many spending up to 14 hours a day doing nothing, not even walking, according to Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the Health Department.

Citing information from the 10th National Health Assembly, he said that physical inactivity or insufficient physical activity (sedentary behaviour) can increase the risk of non-communicable diseases (NCDs).

For instance, he said that physical inactivity can increase the risk of diabetes by 27%, compared to those who exercise regularly, increases the risk of intestinal cancer by 25%, the risk of breast cancer by 21% and a 6% increased risk of stroke.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-tending-to-avoid-exercise-during-pandemic-are-vulnerable-to-ncds/

Logo-top-.png

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For instance, he said that physical inactivity can increase the risk of diabetes by 27%, compared to those who exercise regularly, increases the risk of intestinal cancer by 25%, the risk of breast cancer by 21% and a 6% increased risk of stroke.

Or just eat non-fattening food.

Thais have in general a very poor diet.

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

no excuse to be lazy.

Exercise can be done everywhere - in the room, on balcony on a treadmill (lazada new from 2k, facebook marketplace second hand cheaper), walking stairs up and down in an apartment block, walking/jogging on the mooban, along canals, alleys, pavements. Plus bicycle

But where is the motivation? Where is the fun in walking up and down stairs or running away from the soi dogs?

I bought a treadmill once this outbreak occurred but its difficult not to be lazy. What works for me is to jog while watching treadmill TV on YouTube. I manage to run 6k three times per week which is better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Doing exercises out doors in Hua Hin, or Pattaya area or even Phuket is okay for your health.

Doing out door exercises in polluted Bangkok is not at all great for your health.

I have seen healthy and un healthy people all over the world, so it is not only Thailand 

that has people who do not want to walk or exercise.  Just saying.  Thankfully round

is also a shape.

Geezer

18 hours ago, internationalism said:

no excuse to be lazy.

Exercise can be done everywhere - in the room, on balcony on a treadmill (lazada new from 2k, facebook marketplace second hand cheaper), walking stairs up and down in an apartment block, walking/jogging on the mooban, along canals, alleys, pavements. Plus bicycle

Absolutely. In fact, people should have had the opportunity to improve their exercise routine during these times. Begin the day running up 100 flights of stairs, two stairs at a time. Walk to grocery stores. Whenever there is an option, take the more difficult physical path. Plenty more ways to improve health without expensive gyms or olympic pools 

When you have an crazed leader, who shuts down parks, gyms, swimming pools, and other places where one can maintain their sanity, and blow some steam off, this is what you end up with. Especially for a population that is not big on exercise to begin with.

Gyms, pools, parks, beer and wine are NOT dangerous. Incapable leaders are very dangerous. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, internationalism said:

no excuse to be lazy.

Yes, In theory you are right, but let's be realistic. Only diehard athletes, sports addicts, people who have have done one  Form of exercise or another all their lives will be motivated enough to endure the tedium of running up and down stairs or Sois. I ordered a jump rope from Lazada at the beginning of the lockdown, and I have used it just twice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Can’t blame them for not going jogging walking outdoors wearing  these mandatory face diapers? ????

The Department of Health advised against wearing a face mask when exercising. You are not getting enough oxygen into your lungs and heart, so your body has to work harder, which is more dangerous. When you do outdoor exercises, try to maintain at least six feet or 2 meters of distance between you and other people.

Source: Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, https://bit.ly/2zfcBuo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:
The Department of Health advised against wearing a face mask when exercising. You are not getting enough oxygen into your lungs and heart, so your body has to work harder, which is more dangerous. When you do outdoor exercises, try to maintain at least six feet or 2 meters of distance between you and other people.

Source: Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, https://bit.ly/2zfcBuo

Doing regular walking is already exercising so can people go for outdoor walks without wearing face masks? Its important exercising because corvid targets older overweight generally in a weak condition people.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:54 PM, snoop1130 said:

More Thai people are tending to be less physically active during the COVID-19 pandemic, with many spending up to 14 hours a day doing nothing, not even walking, according to Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the Health Department.

Whose fault is that doc? 
The people who aren't allowed to exercise?  I don't think so.

Unfortunately public health officials all over the world and WHO has an extremely one dimensional thinking - save people from COVID only. It appears they never had a holistic look at the problem and realizing that extreme measures  will lead to a slew of other physical and mental health problems and we will face suicides and reduced life expectancy, but hey they saved us from COVID. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 but why very large outdoor areas like parks or national parks had to be closed and shopping malls still open? The situation reminds me an old joke "Yes, the patient died, but the surgery was successful"

• Like 1

You're talking about my wife. It's no laughing matter to be 55. She works online often from 6am to 11pm, 7 days a week. Her walking is a couple of trips upstairs, toilet & kitchen. She has no waist!

I'm no fitness nut but I do 45 minutes of fast walking out in what passes for nature & 45 minutes of yoga postures. But I can't seem to get wifey to do even basic stretches.

Sure worried this highly sedentary behaviour will haunt her health at some point. Ideas for motivation?