Luxury hotel chain in Thailand reports data breach

webfact

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

For the past two days I have been getting annoying cell calls from I believe scammers. Started suddenly and now I think I know why. My Centara account was probably one of those hacked.

Been getting a few of those SMS messages (with  name not a number) in Thai that are phishing or scamming myself. At least one can block call numbers easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many establishments just don't want to pay for proper IT protection thinking " it's not going to happens to us" easy money this cyber-crimes with many crocks getting away with the it and making millions in the process as happened with several Thai banks recently...

An encrypted database costs nothing. You just click the 'encrypt database' button when setting it up - if you can be bothered.....

As a tech dinosaur I find that most transactions are worrying because they either involve the downloading of apps , declaring your card details or showing/ passing over some form of personnel details , such as your passport  . The days of cash transactions are getting fewer and fewer but security does not seem to be keeping pace .  Pre-booking hotels does not stop the hotel from taking your passport for a day and you hope it does not fall into criminal hands as it is a valuable document .   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, konaboy said:

I received a suspicious e from Pay Pal yesterday. Wanting me to re-register??

Anyone else?

I get 3 a week from Pay Pal which I dutifully forward to Pay Pal but have noticed no discernible improvement. I've stopped using them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

They just checked the extension stamp in my passport and issued the new 90 day report receipt. 

2 years of doing 90 day reports at MTT and the last one at Chaengwattana that's all they've ever done. Hand over passport and 1 form and that is it, I've never handed over nor been asked for anything else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ourdon said:

Ohh Gawd,

I do hope the government doesn't take too much notice.  If they realize that there is an easier way to separate a foreign person from his/her money we are in the deep doodoo.  Never mind the petty grifts they are used to pulling 

Don't worry. The government has repeatedly demonstrated that its IT skills aren't even capable of producing various apps and websites that operate reliably or at all. Being able to hack into data is probably far beyond their ability.

• Like 1