Thais read more than you think!

webfact

53 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Rubbish.

In one year I have seen precisely 4 Thais reading book. Aside from my missus, one was a homeless woman on Jomtien beach, and two were on the MRT - and even then one of them was reading a learning English picture-book. 

You would never see me reading either but I read a lot. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

photo had me very confused for a few seconds

thought it was a women in a hijab reading a book the wrong way round

Sorry but the book is definitely not upside down

As for the hijab...I admit it...difficult to discern whether it is or not

I should also point out that it is not certain that the picture represents a Thai woman

I am confused

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Sure. They can read on your face if you have some cash and will part with it.

You are harsh and borderline sarcastic....not very nice

The can read (and cash) cheques as well

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I Have several books here and some I think I have read 3 times . About 35 books on a quick look over my shoulder . One thing about advancing years is I forget the story line quite easily hence a third read.

Prop yourself and get ready for a fourth anytime soon ???? 

• Haha 1

When I first met my wife, 35 years ago or so, she was uncomfortable with the fact that I would often sit and read a book. She said that it was anti-social. Her family had no books other than Buddhist texts and it was rare in those days to see anyone in a public place reading a book. She has led a perfectly happy life, though, without books. Each to his own.

• Like 2

My wife does a fair amount of reading as she has her own business, and always looking for ways to improve sales, granted it's mostly online reading but at least she isn't wasting hours a day like I am here on this site...555.

• Like 1

I used to read 4 books a week, up until about 10 years ago. 

My Wife used to regularly read (both English and Thai books), up until about 10 years ago.

I don’t know why I stopped reading, I just didn’t - I suspect its because I saw no new books which piqued my interest, but really its just because I’ve become lazier and Netflix is easier !

A few weeks ago took the BTS for the first time in a while, while I wasn’t surprised that nearly everyone had their nose in their phone, I also saw four people reading a regular book. 

Many of the others could have been reading an e-book, reading the news, reading forums etc. 

The vast majority of these Thai’s were those returning from work.

I see some of the response so far and wonder if some people meet someone who is very poorly educated projects their limited exposure and assumes all Thais have very poor education and do not like to read or can’t read very well. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I used to read 4 books a week, up until about 10 years ago. 

My Wife used to regularly read (both English and Thai books), up until about 10 years ago.

I don’t know why I stopped reading, I just didn’t - I suspect its because I saw no new books which piqued my interest, but really its just because I’ve become lazier and Netflix is easier !

A few weeks ago took the BTS for the first time in a while, while I wasn’t surprised that nearly everyone had their nose in their phone, I also saw four people reading a regular book. 

Many of the others could have been reading an e-book, reading the news, reading forums etc. 

The vast majority of these Thai’s were those returning from work.

I see some of the response so far and wonder if some people meet someone who is very poorly educated projects their limited exposure and assumes all Thais have very poor education and do not like to read or can’t read very well. 

Me too . 13 a week but gave up on it.

B921701A-2008-423C-B03A-DE5C420A88F4.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

revealed that Thais spend around 80 minutes per day reading

Well I never!!

Thailand Lottery Ticket For Sell In Market Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty  Free Image. Image 62298128.

Stock Photo — Thailand lottery ticket for sell in market

https://www.123rf.com/photo_62298128_thailand-lottery-ticket-for-sell-in-market.html

Stock Photo — Thailand lottery ticket for sell in marketStock Photo — Thailand lottery ticket for sell in market

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So you live in Pattaya and judge all Thais on the women/people you see/associate with there? 

Also, you don't know what most Thais do at night before going to sleep. I read, as does my wife.

An all too common trait. Casting/judging the whole of society from a couple of experiences - limited exposure. 

If three or four are of this nature, then of course this must apply to the broader culture. 

• Like 1

Ever noticed how extremely rare (if not even non-existent) a well equipped bookstore is or a shop where you can buy classical music ? To be fair, not that I would propose that you could find a very well equipped Morlam CD shop overseas.

Edited by moogradod