Taxi drivers urged to up their game ahead of Nov 1 tourist reopening

webfact

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I am dead serious/curious: Are there any other countries that have to warn their taxi drivers to behave?

and 'to drive in a responsible and safe manner' and 'must have a valid driver’s license in accordance with the type of car' (see the link).

I see there is no mention of using the meter. Of Course. That would be going too far.

3 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I was speaking of the island of Phuket not Thailand. Guess you missed that.

Phuket is a sort of no option scamatorium. Usually wily expats can have ways to avoid the traps, perils and pitfalls. But Phuket ... everyone is in on the game. It's like a scammers union.

There are places all over the world very similar. I'm thinking Europe in particular.

But I have no use for that island. If covid did not humble this lot nothing will.

You've just proven how little you know of the place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I am dead serious/curious: Are there any other countries that have to warn their taxi drivers to behave?

Were you really surprised? This is the country after all where the PM, or other ministers, regularly have to tell/warn their subordinates to actually start doing their job. Not that it does any good, though, and I don’t suspect the Phuket taxi drivers (or the tuktuk drivers, for that matter) give a flying **** what this guy had to say.

• Like 1

Due to the nature of people and Thai taxi drivers probably no exception the government should make it law that all taxis run by the meter on preset rates like other countries do, this takes human greed out of the equation and everyone is happy, no disputes!!! 

4 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Due to the nature of people and Thai taxi drivers probably no exception the government should make it law that all taxis run by the meter on preset rates like other countries do, this takes human greed out of the equation and everyone is happy, no disputes!!! 

Its not rocket science and its such an obvious fix, it should be country wide period!  

35 minutes ago, berrec said:

No need for a "Come to Buddha" talkfest of Phuket taxi drivers.

One of these in every taxi will fix the problem.

image.png.3570fdd8d25f98bb837676fd051ed70f.png

Been tried in Phuket and didn't work. Either the meter is tampered with to make it go faster, or they refuse to put it on and want an outrageous fixed price.

5 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I was speaking of the island of Phuket not Thailand. Guess you missed that.

Phuket is a sort of no option scamatorium. Usually wily expats can have ways to avoid the traps, perils and pitfalls. But Phuket ... everyone is in on the game. It's like a scammers union.

There are places all over the world very similar. I'm thinking Europe in particular.

But I have no use for that island. If covid did not humble this lot nothing will.

But - but - but...... you said, quote, "I've only transited through. Slept near bus station once, plane to BKK once. 30 years in E Asia. 

So, how do you know the above information? 

Full of holes, untruths and stupidity appears to be the name of the game....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, berrec said:

No need for a "Come to Buddha" talkfest of Phuket taxi drivers.

One of these in every taxi will fix the problem.

image.png.3570fdd8d25f98bb837676fd051ed70f.png

Not really much help since the official meter rates "negotiated" by the Phuket taxi mafia are about 3 times higher than those in Bangkok.

8 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Taxi drivers have no real reason to ‘up their game’ when everyone else in Thailand is looking to rip off/cheat/gouge visitors to the maximum extent possible.

I must have taken 6-8 taxis today in BKK, all over.....

Every driver was at least decent, most joked around with me, none tried to rip me off.

Drove past Pattaya once, tried not to even slow down.

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

An unfortunate choice of title.

I Though their game was not to use the meter, and or to take people for a long ride and overcharge them. 

I hope they don't just read the title.

headline looks spot on to me...Id rather walk if a thai taxi was my only option...........just to spite them..they will be foaming at the mouth come Nov 1..HEY HEY YOUUU!!!

19 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: As Phuket prepares to welcome tourists with the full reopening of the country on Monday (Nov 1), authorities on the island have issued a reminder to transport providers, specifically taxi drivers, to adopt a more professional approach.

Laughable.