Hotel allows vaccinated guests only, general restriction/rule?

KhunBENQ

Maybe I have lost sight in the color maps so excuse a dumb question.

Yesterday checked in at a hotel in Pattaya (no ASQ/ASH).

I had to show my vaccionation status which surprised me somewhat.

Hotel tells me only vaccinated guests.

No word beforehand at booking confirmation.

Is this a general rule in the dark red zone for domestic travellers?

At the flight checkin Khon Kaen TO Bangkok no checks at all (as shown in a diagram from the airline).

• Like 1

it will be interesting to see how many do that, either by their own policy or pressure from Thai officials.  If the hotels that have front desks, and take the room keys do require vaccinated guests and their joiners, then I can imagine many others simply going to the guest houses that don't have front desks that are open 24 hours and have separate entrances at night.  There are hundres of those guest houses all over Pattay, The hole in one on soi Lengkee is one I have stayed at a few times as an example.  After hours one just uses their key and can enter

35 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What happens if you are not vaccinated, you are denied the room and lose your payment? Crazy if they don't make it clear before you book.

I doublechecked their communication and there is nothing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

What happens if you are not vaccinated, you are denied the room and lose your payment? Crazy if they don't make it clear before you book.

SHA+ hotels require all guests including joiners to be vaccinated. At least that is how it was in Phuket.

You will likely get a refund, but this would apply to < 1% of the tourists anyway!  You can always stay at a non SHA+ hotel.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe I have lost sight in the color maps so excuse a dumb question.

Yesterday checked in at a hotel in Pattaya (no ASQ/ASH).

I had to show my vaccionation status which surprised me somewhat.

Hotel tells me only vaccinated guests.

5 hours ago, hioctane said:

SHA+ hotels require all guests including joiners to be vaccinated. At least that is how it was in Phuket.

He was checked at a non ASQ/ASH hotel. This is why he is surprised and posting.

• Like 1

We stayed at Chiang Mai Shangri-la the week before last.

They ask for a copy of our vaccination information when we booked. Also had to fill out forms cm3 or cm4… anyway MrsJ was ask to put some app on her phone that did away with the forms.

We don’t see a problem only allowing vaccinated people to check in…we are both deemed high risk… of course YMMV and seems it does.

The hotel had a attractive Staycation offer else we would have stayed elsewhere….

They'll be losing a lot of the domestic tourism if that becomes their policy.  Few countrywide are double vax'd or will be during this high season.  Ignoring millions of customers for a few thousand int'l tourist, and why they are in the state they are.  Always catering to int'l tourist instead of building the domestic market.

Sandbox schemes killed domestic tourism at Phuket & Samui, and expect the same in new spots being promoted. HH had 2nd thoughts about opening just for that reason, fear domestic revenues would suffer.

https://thethaiger.com/news/hua-hin/hua-hin-reopening-could-hurt-bigger-domestic-tourism-market

IMHO .... I expect this high season to be a total flop anyway.  Be lucky if they get 10% of their expected arrivals internationally.  Same as the Phuket & Samui schemes missed their marks.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

it will be interesting to see how many do that, either by their own policy or pressure from Thai officials.  If the hotels that have front desks, and take the room keys do require vaccinated guests and their joiners, then I can imagine many others simply going to the guest houses that don't have front desks that are open 24 hours and have separate entrances at night.  There are hundres of those guest houses all over Pattay, The hole in one on soi Lengkee is one I have stayed at a few times as an example.  After hours one just uses their key and can enter

No such thing as a joiner.

All hotel rooms are booked as double rooms.

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

I stopped paying in advance years ago.  A fool's folly in Thailand.  I want to see the room first.

• Like 1

I was just booking at a well known 5 star resort in Hua Hin for the Christmas period.

They emphasized that vaccines weren't necessary.

I was taken aback, I would hope that they would require there guests (adults) to show proof of vaccination.

It shows how desperate they are for customers.

The rates are through the roof though.

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I was just booking at a well known 5 star resort in Hua Hin for the Christmas period.

They emphasized that vaccines weren't necessary.

I was taken aback, I would hope that they would require there guests (adults) to show proof of vaccination.

It shows how desperate they are for customers.

The rates are through the roof though.

Shows how intelligent they are to market to the locals.  HH has always survived year round on the local market.  Link I posted earlier tells you they are concerned about losing that by letting a few int'l tourist in.

Think it will become the norm: can't do anything unless you are fully vaxxed. For those still not convinced: there is hardly any polio in the modern world because of vaccination. Polio was common in the 1950s and terribly disfiguring. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They'll be losing a lot of the domestic tourism if that becomes their policy.  Few countrywide are double vax'd or will be during this high season.  Ignoring millions of customers for a few thousand int'l tourist, and why they are in the state they are.  Always catering to int'l tourist instead of building the domestic market.

Sandbox schemes killed domestic tourism at Phuket & Samui, and expect the same in new spots being promoted. HH had 2nd thoughts about opening just for that reason, fear domestic revenues would suffer.

https://thethaiger.com/news/hua-hin/hua-hin-reopening-could-hurt-bigger-domestic-tourism-market

IMHO .... I expect this high season to be a total flop anyway.  Be lucky if they get 10% of their expected arrivals internationally.  Same as the Phuket & Samui schemes missed their marks.

Good points but I think Thai domestic tourism has gone from nearly non-existent 15 years ago to 70%+(estimate) of hotel bookings.  I travel extensively throughout the country and 90% of the time I never see another foreigner at the resort. 

Most my travel is outside of foreign tourist hubs but this could be said about most local travelers.  I would also guess the vaccination rate is MUCH higher in regards to domestic tourists.  Most travelers understand the convenience a vac cert offers while on the road.  As for this high season, it will be terrible but better than many expect.   Bet by January some hotels I stay at will be full on the weekends. Also could be completely empty ????

12 hours ago, vandeventer said:

More and more unvaccinated people may have to sleep on the streets? How stupid!

Plenty of vaxed people despise having to prove they are vaxed and refuse to play this orwellian provide proof game..... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1