Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

A non O visa holder just posted that he renewed his visa last month and Insurance wasn't required. So I guess it's only when you come back that it's required?

I think it is required to get the CoE.

Without the CoE you ain't getting on the plane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think it is required to get the CoE.

Without the CoE you ain't getting on the plane.

Understood! I just did a COE. Was talking about someone who is here and never left. Just renewed last month.

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

A non O visa holder just posted that he renewed his visa last month and Insurance wasn't required. So I guess it's only when you come back that it's required?

Required only to enter. The problem is that it should cover the period up to the end of your extension, so if you have 12 months retirement extension and leave after 1 month after the renewal, you may need to cover up to 11 months. Although with Thailand being Thailand, someone reported entering with shorter cover but still getting stamped to the end of the extension. But I wouldn't rely on it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Here is my idea.... Maybe wait until  my O visa only has 2 months left....Buy  cheap insurance  for 2 months.....Fly back to the USA for one month, then fly back to Thailand,  I would still have one month left on the O visa and one month left on the insurance...

Exactly.

You've nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Here is my idea.... Maybe wait until  my O visa only has 2 months left....Buy  cheap insurance  for 2 months.....Fly back to the USA for one month, then fly back to Thailand,  I would still have one month left on the O visa and one month left on the insurance...

Be sure not forgetting take re entry , and 800K/400Kfinancial complete & sufficient  time on bank ????...check if eventually needed agent is still active working available ????

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, the insurance requirement is for anyone entering the country, regardless of visa type. Even visa exempt. And it is US$50k not $100. The article appears to ocnflate the required insurance for entering the country with requirements for getting a new O or OA visa issued, different matter.

But insurance  is of course harder for older people to obtain. I think most end up opting for a travel policy.

The required period of insurance is the duration you will be stamped in for, so for those entering on a re-entry permit, timing the trip so that you come back only 1-2 months before expiry will reduce cost.

Well the last I heard and I could be wrong was all the other visas only needed  50,000 dollars covid insurance and the O and OA needed 100,000 dollars insurance covid and health........But like I said I could be wrong..

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, the insurance requirement is for anyone entering the country, regardless of visa type. Even visa exempt. And it is US$50k not $100. The article appears to ocnflate the required insurance for entering the country with requirements for getting a new O or OA visa issued, different matter.

But insurance  is of course harder for older people to obtain. I think most end up opting for a travel policy.

The required period of insurance is the duration you will be stamped in for, so for those entering on a re-entry permit, timing the trip so that you come back only 1-2 months before expiry will reduce cost.

My visa expires in March. I only needed insurance to cover my stay. Which was 3 weeks. Proven by my return ticket. A return ticket now, in some cases, isn't much more than a OW.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well the last I heard and I could be wrong was all the other visas only needed  50,000 dollars covid insurance and the O and OA needed 100,000 dollars insurance covid and health........But like I said I could be wrong..

I heard that too, but even if true that's no problem. Most travel insurances cover far more, plenty of them unlimited. The costs might be a little higher but not mich.

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

$50,000 Medical Insurance which includes cover for Covid-19.

Timing is important.

Travel overseas say two months before your extenson expires.

Obtain the required insurance and pay monthly premiums, say one or two monhs before you travel

On your return to Thailand, either continue with the policy or cancel and self insure.

Having said that, will med insurance be compulsory for visas and extensons?

Edited by anchadian

15 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I heard that too, but even if true that's no problem. Most travel insurances cover far more, plenty of them unlimited. The costs might be a little higher but not mich.

With many western travel insurances the cover limit is not that important in determining the price, the age is more important.

I just had a look what Allianz Australia offers as a medical travel insurance (single trip)  to Thailand for 1 year,  $586 AUD for 45 years old, almost $4000 for 85 years old. The 85 years old also can't add extra "adventurous activities" ????

Both have unlimited medical cover. The insured needs to be a "resident", so for retirees who haven't been in the home country for long time it could be a problem.

• Thanks 1