Thailand steps up efforts to attract more expats

webfact

1 hour ago, madmen said:

They been mulling this for 10 years and every final proposal is dependent on pensioners having 10 million baht in a Thai bank blah blah 

Whatever money you have or bring into the country don't change it into Baht immediately 

Deposits it in a F.C.A .Foreign Currency Account. If you require  a letter to show immigration the Bank will issue to a letter stating the amount  in one 's Currency and Baht. When l fist advised this the Pound Stirling was  38B/£ now its45B/£ .less then 6 month's ago.

Money can only be transferred into another account in your name so you will also require  a damaging account for it to be transferred into it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Denim said:

What efforts would those be ??

Not seen any efforts that make things easier for the expats they already have but  they talk about attracting more. ?? 

Looks like they want to have 2 types of Expats ....us and them , thats if

they can possibly attract the multi millionaires , highly skilled people,

it will just be us , the ones with families ,who have invested in the country,

maybe not as much as multi millionaires , but most of it goes to ordinary

working Thai's.

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

WHY would they come? Successful knowledgeable folks more than anyone don’t want strings attached. They expect returns and such. 

I would say strings are not the issue. I have some wealthy friends who have visited me over the past 24 years and they are 100% in agreement that none of them want to return and they all consider the city of Bangkok and the town of Pattaya to be cesspools.  Thailand is a land for business and whore mongering.  The focus should be on attracting foreigners who want to manufacture.  The past has seen Thailand attract poor or middle income guys who want younger spouses.  This is the Thai niche market.   It ain’t much more than that.   I was given the choice in Vancouver of many nice looking 40+ year olds but I like 20 +/-   So I am here.

• Like 2

If those responsible would take the trouble to question their various target groups with market research and analyze their wishes and also examine the measures of the competitive countries. Then maybe something fruitful would come out of it.

When I read the names and functions of the four conference participants (PM, Deputy PM, Finance and Interior Minister), I ask myself whether they have enough detailed knowledge and understanding of the subject.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Soon they'll all start to sing the Eagles Desperado, 

why don't you come to your senses
You've been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
I know that you've got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow...

My theme song, half a lifetime ago … damn, over half a life time ago!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, pkrv said:

How about a little more consideration for those of us who are here? Regardless of income bracket, most are supporting the economy to one extent or another, but perhaps those in charge are simply just looking only at how many zeroes are on the end of our wealth with no further analysis needed.

Good point… My guess only is that those who are already here aren’t even a part of the consideration or a part of the conversation 

Why?

Without trying to sound cold or insensitive, my GUESS (guess how the RTG sees it) is that when it comes to those foreigners who are: a) married to a Thai national or b) are the registered parent of a Thai citizen, the RTG doesn’t HAVE TO put a lot of effort into attracting them to come nor trying to retaining them  once here— they are either already here or will chose to remain here on their on volition.. so from the RTGs viewpoint, why expend effort into a group that will largely voluntarily chose to remain here already?

From MY thinking putting effort into improving the conditions for this group would be a good idea as they can then be natural promoters of Thailand as a place to come, stay, work, retire or start a family.. so I myself see a lot of value … but my guess is the RTG views this matter quite different .. they don’t need to really invest a lot into a group that largely will already chose to stay or whose situation already ties them to Thailand. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pkrv said:

... but perhaps those in charge are simply just looking only at how many zeroes are on the end of our wealth ...

I've got lots of zeroes at the beginning of my wealth. Would that count, do you think?

• Haha 2

So the 'officials' keep coming up with a bunch of hair-brained ideas to attract more like us...right?  What I don't understand is why they don't convene a committee made up of the demographic they hope to attract and solicit this committee for ideas.  Ask questions like, "If you had it to do over again, would you retire here again?  If not why not?  What would  make your life more enjoyable here and what changes would you like to see happen?  What would attract more financially secure expats but not open the door to people who cannot support themselves and who may end up becoming a burden to Thai society?  Duh...the need is obvious when you list out all the screwy, go-nowhere ideas of the recent past.

• Like 2