New Thai education law will kill kids’ creativity, warn critics

webfact

9 minutes ago, gvrixtel said:

I don't know in what country this would be western style. Western style allows freedom of religion, political beliefs and gender identity. Western style promotes individual growth, creative thoughts, critical thinking. None of the things I see reflected in either bill.

The point is that ALL education systems run by the state will teach "The Good" of the state.  

CCP, Germany, US, Thailand... all the same.  

The difference is just a matter of degrees.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

6D0B4703-B676-4620-8256-6B045C69A6E5.jpeg

Exactly the kind of thing I was having to force children to do in my classes here in the US.  

At least we used folders instead of helmets...  

Not that it matters.

The message from the educators was:  

"We don't trust you."

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Two key education bills have sailed through the first reading in the House of Representatives, despite warnings that both will seriously damage the quality of Thai education.

How much worse can it possibly get from where things stand now?

Some years ago the son (12) of a good friend of mine returned home from school his father asked what he had been taught that day.

The son showed him whatever it was my friend saw immediately that it was incorrect.

Being the good father he showed his son the correct way, the kid came home from school that day with a letter.

It was an order from the school that the kid must complete a week's work on a government farm because he questioned the teacher!

My mate went ballistic however eventually because there were no viable options for schools within a reasonable distance he allowed him to be used as cheap labour! 

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I think to talk about ' quality ' is greatly exaggerated .

Just think about how many Thais are able to speak another language ...

In Isaan, most folks speak at least two languages.  That's one more than most folks in the US and England can speak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Granet said:

The point is that ALL education systems run by the state will teach "The Good" of the state.  

CCP, Germany, US, Thailand... all the same.  

The difference is just a matter of degrees.

Again you are showing of your lack of general knowledge. The obvious one being that CCP is not western, not democratic, and certainly not free. As for the US, most of the education regulations happen on a local level (district, state)as far as I know, though the government keeps a national overview of everything). As for most European countries, I am sorry to burst your bubble, but education is a synergetic process and is determined in respectful and open collaboration between government, educators, parents and other caretakers, experts from all walks of life, and yes even students.

Maybe read up a bit before you go on another rant.

8 minutes ago, jing jing said:

In Isaan, most folks speak at least two languages.  That's one more than most folks in the US and England can speak.

True.....my Isan wife left school for work at 11 years old......leaving her 'uneducated', though still intelligent (clever enough to marry me). 

She speaks four languages. 

• Like 1

If I understand correctly these inspirations (serve the needs of government and business) were the origins of the school systems in many countries during the industrial revolution.  Basically, the need was for compliant sufficiently educated people to man a production line.  The world has of course changed. Some countries have found a way forward to better eduction systems and others have stumbled badly.  It’s easy to see that the inmates of the current system in Thailand would do nothing more than double down on what has filled their rice bowl up to this point.  The Military must be thrilled with these changes.  

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

No,you’re confusing me with what you see in the mirror. Public school educated..

Ignorance backed up by a public school education is so much more dangerous than good old, plain working class ignorance 

Note: I am not saying you are ignorant!!!!! ......this is just an observation.

You can't kill something that's already dead. Only a totally irresponsible parent would allow a half Thai child to be subjected to the joke they call 'Thai Education'. Someone stated earlier that kids won't question their teachers but its much worse than that, Thai parents are too subservient to question the teachers and so on it goes generation after generation. 

• Like 1

think the improvements are needed. And also to make the steps forward that are needed. Thais are poor educated and the root cause of that are the teachers, by setting an higher standard the teachers will drop out and replace by better teachers.

in every country we have state education even in the west. 

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

New Thai education law will kill kids’ creativity, warn critics

This is a feature.

The entire goal of the thai edumaction system is to maintain the status-quo.

Beating subservience into subsequent generations insures there are never any real reforms here.

not a problem....  the HiSo can still send their kids overseas for school. The Middle Class can still avail themselves of the 100+ International Schools in Thailand.

The Kwai can still choose their careers at age 12 - noodle seller, taxi driver, "waitress" , and the Siamese system continues..... job done.

Surprise?  Not here when it comes to government schools sooner or later this was going to happen.

I read a number of years ago when they revamped the education system all the experts inside and outside of Thailand said it will do nothing. With all the current unrest from the young should it be any surprise? Not here! 

Their current system is already what I consider keeping them " bare feet and pregnant " that is their education system so they all can continue to maintain control. At times I wonder why they even go to school like robots all the best jobs are in government and 99% are given to family and friends. You go 10 years plus school to work in a 7/11 for a few years and get dumped for a younger looking person. What a joke!???? 

It is bad enough they discriminate against foreigners but their own people and they don't even know they are getting nothing but crumbs.

4 hours ago, jing jing said:

Actually, one will find this to be more than common throughout the country - speaking at least 2-3 languages. 

12 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I think to talk about ' quality ' is greatly exaggerated .

Just think about how many Thais are able to speak another language ...

Just think about how many Westerners are able to speak, read and write another language. It is something that you must practice every day.

I used to be able to speak German but I haven't used it in 20 years. I started to learn Spanish in Chile but when I went to Venezuela the Spanish was different and I haven't used that since 1994.

“We will integrate religion, art, culture and sports into the curriculum. ........."

Will that be comparative religion as taught in many countries these days. i.e. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sihkism, Rastafarianism, various types of Buddhism,  etc.

Or will Buddhism alone be thrust upon the students to indoctrinate them without freedom of choice!  

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just think about how many Westerners are able to speak, read and write another language. It is something that you must practice every day.

I used to be able to speak German but I haven't used it in 20 years. I started to learn Spanish in Chile but when I went to Venezuela the Spanish was different and I haven't used that since 1994.

In our contemporary era, courses in Mandarin would seem to be much more practical. ????

The future appears to be directed in this manner. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jing jing said:

IMO that is only partially true. Many more than most have a percentage of a second language i addition to generic Thai. But neither give an advantage in comprehension of  global perspectives which if they did possess would likely create an acceleration in social discontent. Yet in reality the inference of educational policies critics find fault in globally is in the dumbing down process in general.

The vast majority of employment involves basic capacity to follow and/or comprehend instruction in process where AI automated machines are as yet not profitably viable or available.

There seems to be there is this dangerous presumption that higher education belongs to those with existing wealth and/or status that wealth falsely demonstrates a proof of greater intelligence , initiative ,etc. The sad truth is that it is nothing more than a imposed protectionist policy to preserve or enhance the interests of a generational minority that depends on subserviants .

• Like 1

Some interesting reading her on the typical curriculum in a Thai government school:

A snapshot of Thai government schools’ curriculum

Taking the mandates one step further, authorities told schools to hang a banner that listed PM Prayut’s teachings on their school premises. The government also provided the schools a song, poem and a 12-part film that was based on the teachings. And, as Thailand locals love using the LINE application on mobile phones, the Ministry of Information, Communication and Telecommunications created set of app stickers that represented the 12 values to be used in chatting on the app.

https://thethaiger.com/education/a-snapshot-of-thai-government-schools-curriculum

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1