It’s expats, not tourists that are visiting Thailand: Business leader

webfact

50 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I just heard on Phuket Extra that some bright spark officials are insistig all retaurants and cafes are now to stop serving alcohol 2pm till 5pm ! Hard to comprehend the stupidity.

Yup they will learn the hard way ????

On 11/18/2021 at 8:10 AM, BE88 said:

Because you are considered a tourist and a reputable tourist does not own a house in Thailand and must go to a hotel. If you own a home you are against the law and could go to jail and finish your vacation.

Why did you choose Thailand ? No replay I know ????

22 yrs ago I was 43, divorced and ?!.... need I say more? 

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2021 at 4:02 AM, JonnyF said:

Good to see that someone finally gets it. Better late than never. 

Let's hope this insight catches on.

If only it would be so but the sad reality is that his comments will get no serious airtime on mainstream Thai media and even if TV did broadcast his statement, the government will do all they can to belittle him or even damage his reputation.

22 minutes ago, smew said:

22 yrs ago I was 43, divorced and ?!.... need I say more? 

No thank you, sorry but since the situation is very frustrating for everyone, I made a bit of humor for try forget the stupid governmental rules

On 11/18/2021 at 11:53 AM, gearbox said:

I'm currently in Phuket and there are tourists coming....just not enough. Once the figures are collected for a month or two I expect the Thailand Pass and the PCR test on arrival to go away. The risks seems to be too small to be worth handling with obstacles like these. My prediction is Jan 2022 for proper reopening.

Likewise -- My girlfriend just reopened her travel office in Chiang Mai and has been getting business -- tourists (European; Israeli) who are younger (backpackers) and not interested in drinking but purchasing tours to elephant camps, cooking schools, trekking excursions, and the like, much of which is open at least up here in the north. I’m not disputing anything being said here, and this may be driven by Loy Krathong, which is always popular here, and otherwise Chiang Mai is still far from lively, but I’m encouraged.

Edited by Cory1848

On 11/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, ThailandRyan said:

The majority of us knew this already. Many friends I have have returned after being gone for a long time in order to return to family with less restrictive measures put on them that create financial hurdles.

Just arrived in BKK hours ago from DC..wiped out--sat next to a dude going to sandbox...im an expat as well......waiting on my pcr and hope it ok as i already booked my tix to CNX tomorrow.......was a royal headache getting here and pretty confusing even trying to find my pick up at bkk....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Just arrived in BKK hours ago from DC..wiped out--sat next to a dude going to sandbox...im an expat as well......waiting on my pcr and hope it ok as i already booked my tix to CNX tomorrow.......was a royal headache getting here and pretty confusing even trying to find my pick up at bkk....

Thanks for the update, and as the band RUSH would sing "Those who wish to be Must put aside the alienation Get on with the fascination The real relation The underlying theme." the Limelight.  Enjoy getting home to CNX

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the update, and as the band RUSH would sing "Those who wish to be Must put aside the alienation Get on with the fascination The real relation The underlying theme." the Limelight.  Enjoy getting home to CNX

Maybe ride my Red Barchetta back up there to get in the Limelight.....Grace Under Pressure Gents!

• Haha 1

As Thanet Supharothatrangsi, and other posters have noted, the main influx this month has been of returnees; house and condo owners and foreigners with families here. The figures for December and January, peak tourist months, will be much more revealing, and I think they may well support his analysis   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schvonsky1 said:

Yup they will learn the hard way ????

Yet, in these instances, the learning curve is nearly nil and void. 

If they haven't gotten it yet, the likelihood is that they never will. 

Their lose........though, I'm sure that their perceptions are that they're winning big.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:49 PM, kevin612 said:

This is true, why tourists visit Thailand when entertainment is closed?

They are aiming at the tee totallers, Mr Chiang and Dr Singh don't like the idea, neither do the tee totallers, maybe give them free sand bucket and a spade to play on the beach might encourage more to come. 

On 11/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, PoorSucker said:
On 11/18/2021 at 7:24 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

I doubt any of them were expats based on how they were dressed.  They all looked like tourists and most of them looked like sexpats.

It's people from Pattaya that's gone to Bangkok because of the Pattaya alcohol ban.

Whoever they are they didn't look like they are; or have ever been, professional business people (expats). 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Whoever they are they didn't look like they are; or have ever been, professional business people (expats). 

So an expat has to look a certain way now.  Is there a dress code we need to know about?

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2021 at 5:14 AM, Henryford said:

No tourist in their right mind would come now. Imagine Christmas and New Year without a drink.

Well I managed last year ok in the UK with no disastrous effects. In fact I haven't had a drink since I left Thailand in September last year.

Having said that it will cause problems as I know many people who feel living without alcohol is unimaginable so it will affect tourism. I understand that there are issues when a few people drink too much and then are incapable of acting in a sensible fashion. The thing is even if alcohol is allowed I doubt there will be that many tourists so it should be possible to manage the situation without too much trouble. It's certainly worth trying to get some tourists back to aid the economy.

10 hours ago, kimamey said:

Well I managed last year ok in the UK with no disastrous effects. In fact I haven't had a drink since I left Thailand in September last year.

Actually these near 2 years of wasted life and restrictions, may have taught me I can get along quite well with substantially less of it......, and with that the thought that the Pattaya area may no longer suit me!

• Like 1

I feel very sad for Khun Thanet.  The Emperor clearly has no clothes, but Khun Thanet has committed the unforgivable sin of telling the truth.  His future looks bleak, and possibly very short.

I am a tourist.

I am on holiday.

I am in Phnom Penh.

I recommend it!

On 11/19/2021 at 12:58 AM, ChipButty said:

That was always the rule it was just never enforced, I am told in CM it is enforced 

I was on Koh Samui in March of 2020 and it was enforced there, then. Went to the 7-11 at 3:00 p.m. to grab a beer to take back to the hotel and was told to come back later. 

The global infection rate is increasing and exceeding levels of a couples of months ago in some countries .  Because of the huge losses to tourism , many countries decided enough was enough and put their economies before their nations health , citing that the vaccinations were mitigating serious covid infections . So what's it going to take for countries to make a revision on their safe country list . Below a list of Thailand's safe country list . Austria seems to be the one country to react . There has to be some sort of global agreement to limit tourism in affected countries in order to control this virus and return to some sort of normality .

List of Eligible Countries for No Quarantine

7 hours ago, superal said:

The global infection rate is increasing and exceeding levels of a couples of months ago in some countries .  Because of the huge losses to tourism , many countries decided enough was enough and put their economies before their nations health , citing that the vaccinations were mitigating serious covid infections . So what's it going to take for countries to make a revision on their safe country list . Below a list of Thailand's safe country list . Austria seems to be the one country to react . There has to be some sort of global agreement to limit tourism in affected countries in order to control this virus and return to some sort of normality .

List of Eligible Countries for No Quarantine

Normality.

Whatever that is.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:01 PM, yogi yogi said:

i can go to cambodia easily from thailand now?  via plane.  no cambodian restrictions?  what about coming back to thailand after going to cambodia.?  i have to do one night quarantine again?  what about if i come back via land?  same one night quarantine required? so many questions, no answers?

If a one-day quarantine is the only ugly spot on being able to go out of Thailand and then come back in, that's not so bad... I mean, anyone is going to come in and  then check into a hotel anyway. Is it really such a big deal to have to chill in your hotel room for a few hours before being able to resume normal activity?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1