The best country for expats to relocate to has been named

ezzra

A pal just went to Albania. A lot of Italians retire there and pretty much anyone can.

Cheap at Moldova-levels, trippy, BladeRunner-like capitol, BUT very Christian women who want you to meet the Patriarch after 3 chaste coffee dates. It's def an honor killing kind of place.

It's either the bottom rung of prostitutes who couldn't organize a Frankfurt bus ticket at the disco, or nothing.

• Haha 2

I thought we're not supposed to say, but the cheapest I ever heard for ultra-short time. A lot of Gucci hot pants-wearing that I'm sure Gucci doesn't know the existence of.

If a person even has a job, they make $200 a month. So Ubon would be like Beverly Hills to them. Super intelligent people, a lot of English spoken, they have bee treated like Haitians by the Italians. An American is (finally) a superman humanitarian to them.

L'America, among the greatest foreign-language movies ever made, (and on Youtube for free) captures the surreality of the place. It's an old film, but the place is still pretty much moribund and untouched.

Edited by LaosLover

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I thought we're not supposed to say, but the cheapest I ever heard for ultra-short time. A lot of Gucci hot pants-wearing that I'm sure Gucci doesn't know the existence of.

If a person even has a job, they make $200 a month. So Ubon would be like Beverly Hills to them. Super intelligent people, a lot of English spoken, they have bee treated like Haitians by the Italians. An American is (finally) a superman humanitarian to them.

L'America, among the greatest foreigns ever made (and on Youtube for free) catches the surreality of the place. It's an old film, but the place is still pretty much moribund and untouched.

So for Albanias, Ubon would be like Beverly hills and Italians treat them like Haitians and they like Ameericans ? 

I knew a few Albanians in The Bronx. They were in fact indentured servants to rich very Catholic families, and were ga-ga crazy about loving America. Super exclusionary culture, more so even than Koreans or Ethiopeans.

My friend is an NGO who works with Orthodox charities. A lot of dissonance now because they were 100% Trumpers, but now they see orthodox churches being leveled and Trump not caring.

Like, at all. And sort of high-fiving the church bomber. Oh well.

The mental dissonance of living in Albania would be tiring, even though the landscape, food, weather, and prices would be better than Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jingthing said:

Probably not unless you'd be the perp. Gender violence is usually done by people close to the victim.

https://hir.harvard.edu/gender-violence-in-mexico-machismo-femicides-and-childs-play/

The dangers of Mexico are real.but often greatly exaggerated considering the areas gringos usually stay at and their typical activities.

The girl inlink above was first molested by her Uber driver who then kicked her out alone alongside a road. Later she was raped  and killed.  Women in Mexico  and some other countries say India are held in low regard and considered fair game for rape /murder. I would not move to any country like that. Your choice if you want to move to a place like that. The low cost of living would not outway the dangers.

Edited by Tony125

25 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The girl inlink above was first molested by her Uber driver who then kicked her out alone along a rooad. Later she was raped  and killed.  Women in Mexico  and some other countries say India are held in low regard and considered fair game for raoe /murder. I would not move to any country like that. Your choice if you want to move to a place like that. The low cost of living would not outway the dangers.

The cost of living is not that low in Mexico relative to Colombia and Ecuador. You are welcome to avoid countries for whatever reasons that you have  Personally I feel living in Mexico where I would live in Mexico would be much safer than where I would be able to live in the USA. There are roughly 1.5 MILLION Americans living in Mexico. Mostly they're not being murdered

Edited by Jingthing

TAIWAN?

You cannot be serious!!!!!!!!!!!

What part of Taiwan?

Fulong?

Such a joke that it is not even funny.

Gives me the shivers even to contemplate Taiwan for anything other than fishing for squid with squid lights all along the coastal parts of Taiwan.

Terrible place.

665 people per square kilometer.

Most of the land is mountainous.

Population density is CRAZY.

You must be JOKING.

Just telling the truth.

I could easily debate this question with any native of Taiwan.

Taiwan is not number one.

Taiwan is definitely number TWO.

So solly.

On 4/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, Jingthing said:

The cost of living is not that low in Mexico relative to Colombia and Ecuador. You are welcome to avoid countries for whatever reasons that you have  Personally I feel living in Mexico where I would live in Mexico would be much safer than where I would be able to live in the USA. There are roughly 1.5 MILLION Americans living in Mexico. Mostly they're not being murdered

There are  a lot of expats in Mexico  because  it's cost of living is lower and they can drive there and easily get back to US for health care  or other reasons. Forget the Drug Cartels you can't even trust the police down there.

They Beat Him to Death': Tijuana Police Officers Accused of Torturing U.S. Resident

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/they-beat-him-to-death-tijuana-police-officers-accused-of-torturing-us-resident/ar-AAWTrwU?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Tony125
correction

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

There are  a lot of expats in Mexico  because  it's cost of living is lower and they can drive there and easily get back to US for health care  or other reasons.

They Beat Him to Death': Tijuana Police Officers Accused of Torturing U.S. Resident

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/they-beat-him-to-death-tijuana-police-officers-accused-of-torturing-us-resident/ar-AAWTrwU?li=BBnb7Kz

Tijuana is a very dangerous city.

So is East St. Louis.

Easy frequent driving cross border is only if you're living in Northern Mexico.

Yes in general cost of living is lower in Mexico than the U.S  but I was talking about Mexico compared to other typical budget expat options.  In which case Mexico is definitely not the cheapest. Of course as anywhere it matters exactly where in any country. San Cristobal de las Casas would be quite cheap relative to Puerto Vallarta or a high end neighborhood in Monterrey. Picking expat destinations is not a one size fits all situation.

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mavideol said:

you don't know much about Portugal do you, if you did,  you would know their economy is as good as any other European country and they won't go knocking on peoples doors asking for money, what type of government does that, yours by any chance ? before criticizing you should update yourself

An Affordable Retirement in Picturesque Portugal

https://internationalliving.com/countries/portugal/retire-in-portugal/

Retire in Portugal – Taxes

Portugal typically taxes all income. This includes pension income and income from international sources. However, as mentioned earlier, the Portuguese government has taken steps to make the country a welcoming place for expatriates. This includes something called Non-habitual Residence (NHR) status. NHR applies to people who have not been tax-paying residents of Portugal in the previous five years. If you qualify, your income is exempt from Portuguese income tax for 10 years. This includes income from work, investments, capital gains, pensions and rental income.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/how-to-retire-in-portugal

You misunderstood my point. Im not talking about the current taxes or current affordability.

Portugal public debt to GDP ration is 148%, the government is broke; its unsustainable.

You misunderstood my point. Im not talking about the current taxes or current affordability.

Portugal public debt to GDP ration is 148%, the government is broke; its unsustainable.

Edited by Cowboy1
  • Confused 1

This is a joke, right?  Or the list written up by some clueless moron?

I mean, some of these places it's near impossible to get a retirement visa or live there full time permanently.  Australia is really difficult to get a visa to live, and Portugal you can not say more then 6 months full time per year. 

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I mean, some of these places it's near impossible to get a retirement visa or live there full time permanently.  Australia is really difficult to get a visa to live, and Portugal you can not say more then 6 months full time per year. 

Sometimes it help to read the actual article you are reacting to, and not only the headlines

????

31 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Australia has a retirement visa but only very wealthy people can qualify.

Portugal has an excellent and very affordable retirement visa program. Also open to non retirees and an easy path to permanent residence.

https://www.d7visa.com/portugal-retirement-visa/

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:12 PM, Jingthing said:

So is East St. Louis.

Yes in general cost of living is lower in Mexico than the U.S  but I was talking about Mexico compared to other typical budget expat options.  In which case Mexico is definitely not the cheapest. Of course as anywhere it matters exactly where in any country. San Cristobal de las Casas would be quite cheap relative to Puerto Vallarta or a high end neighborhood in Monterrey. Picking expat destinations is not a one size fits all situation.

Have you ever considered relocating to South America ?

On 5/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Portugal has an excellent and very affordable retirement visa program. Also open to non retirees and an easy path to permanent residence.

Not so easy as Thailand.  You have to have quite a lot of money and also buy property that meets certain criteria.

You also have to live there full time a set period of years full time....  it is possible, but not as easy to live permanently and retire as Thailand....and certainly much more expensive. 

On 5/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, Hummin said:

Sometimes it help to read the actual article you are reacting to, and not only the headlines

????

Well, if that was really the case the headline is very misleading and basically click bait. 

On 5/5/2022 at 6:12 PM, Jingthing said:

So is East St. Louis.

Travelers to Mexico now see state-specific travel warnings from the US government

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/travelers-to-mexico-now-see-state-specific-travel-warnings-from-the-us-government/ar-AAXj7yC?li=BBnb7Kz

The Department is currently advising Americans to avoid traveling to the regions of Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas “due to crime and kidnapping,” while asking tourists to “reconsider travel” to Baja California, Nayarit and Mexico State, among other areas

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Travelers to Mexico now see state-specific travel warnings from the US government

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/travelers-to-mexico-now-see-state-specific-travel-warnings-from-the-us-government/ar-AAXj7yC?li=BBnb7Kz

The Department is currently advising Americans to avoid traveling to the regions of Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas “due to crime and kidnapping,” while asking tourists to “reconsider travel” to Baja California, Nayarit and Mexico State, among other areas

Sure. Mexico has many states. But such lists are limited. For one example, there is no problem traveling or living in Mazatlan which happens to be in Sinaloa.

Mexico remains incredibly popular with American and Canadian expats to the point where its extremely difficult to book appointments at many Mexican consulates for residency applications and similarly difficult at Mexican immigration offices in more popular places in Mexico such as Queretaro. You must apply in Mexico within 30 days after entering with a new residency visa or the vida vanishes.

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/15/2022 at 1:13 PM, Mavideol said:

came across this article

INSIDER

I moved my family to Thailand, then Portugal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/moved-family-thailand-then-portugal-120500306.html

Portuguese angered at influx of Californians who import their problems with them: report

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/portuguese-angered-at-influx-of-californians-who-import-their-problems-with-them-report/ar-AAXpZHE?li=BBnb7Kz

On 5/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Portuguese angered at influx of Californians who import their problems with them: report

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/portuguese-angered-at-influx-of-californians-who-import-their-problems-with-them-report/ar-AAXpZHE?li=BBnb7Kz

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Yeah I saw that. But as its from Fox News they've obviously ginned up the California demonization angle as Fox News is about pandering to red state republicans.

The original story.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-05-12/california-expats-portugal-relocation-lisbon

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1