TAT: Thailand needs high earning, high quality tourists - "value over volume" to get 80% back by 2023

webfact

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Yes because you are staying here. They want you to spend and leave!

Lol.... like my fav thing is chat girls online and when they talk cash I say ohhh just give me your account and we dont even need meet!!!!  then they send it and ask every day why you not send...... wow.... serious?

Just now, Seeall said:

Lol.... like my fav thing is chat girls online and when they talk cash I say ohhh just give me your account and we dont even need meet!!!!  then they send it and ask every day why you not send...... wow.... serious?

one said ahhh you are such a good man.....

50 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Thailand is never going to attract  ( or Lure ) the kind of Tourists that are both Wealthy and Quality.

This kind of Tourist spends his Summer Family Holiday in Countries such as France, or Italy, or even the Caribbean, and in the Winter enjoys the slopes of Austria or Switzerland   for a Skiing Holiday.

Despite trying to attract these Tourists by flouting themselves as a Premier destination, Thailand will always, and forever, remain a cheap, sleazy and dirty place in the eyes of these kind of people.

Sad, regrettable, but true.

Don't think Thailand (Pattaya ) is anywhere near as sleazy as it used to be. Started coming here 21 years ago and live in Pattaya/Banglok since 2013.  Both in Bangkok and Pattaya club used to have girls dancing much more energetically and totally naked not wearing bikini's.  If they wore bikini's paid $ baht, topless $$ baht,   naked $$$.  Seen guy'. s Pinay wife = former BG  making out with a Thai BG on a bar. Now they want to clean up everything and not even serve drinks or  alow bars to open.

2 hours ago, AussieBob9999 said:

Hua Hin?  Lots of Scandinavian Expats have left there since 2015.  When we were there looking at Golf Courses, one of the the Course Managers tried to sell me his house, as did a few others while we were there (2 weeks). 

Even 6/7 years ago driving around the center of Hua Hin by car there was always the danger of running over some Scandinavian tourists happy to be in Hua Hin on the main road.

Before Covid ago when I was in the center of Hua Hin I saw few tourists and which were perhaps more expats than tourists because they knew that you had to be careful not to cross the road on the white stripes, which have partly disappeared in the meantime.

Yes, and I want to win the lottery. 52 million tourists over the next two years and all of them, well at least the overwhelming majority high value, high spenders. Good luck … meanwhile the sorry likes of myself retired to a Thailand a decade ago and have steadily spent approximately one million baht a year. Sad excuse for a high value “tourist”.

8 hours ago, The Cipher said:

I'm in the bucket that TAT would probably classify as the high earning desirable foreigner.

And although I'm sad that there aren't more people like me in Thailand, I do have to admit that the put-down-roots type of foreigner (frequently found on this board) are, in some ways, better for the country than I am.

People like you guys are committed and invested in your communities for the long haul. Whereas I think that a lot of the people in my bucket remain flexible by design and are a lot more mercenary with capital allocation.

I'm in Thailand because it meets my needs at the current time. But if it ever stopped, I'd be gone tomorrow.

And I can understand why TAT targets wants to move upmarket, because honestly, there really is a lot of riffraff from Western countries that pools here (I don't mean anyone in particular here but also am not sorry if I trigger anyone with that statement). But I do wonder if TAT's aims are too upmarket. I think the country's ideal market to target would be nice middle class tourists and retirees.

Sensible suggestion for only nice people to holiday in Thailand . Surprised you haver not been offered a job with TAT.

Hard to find as the more wealth people have the less nice they are in the majority.

So many Thai politicians seem to have graduated from the University of Lalaland. Every country would prefer high income, high spending tourists. In the meantime, while they are waiting for this miracle to happen, I suggest that TAT and other agencies should focus on attractiing as many tourists and retirees as possible and on simplifying the red tape. Thailand has dozens of countries competing for the interntional tourist business

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Here is what sidewalks look like on Pattaya Klang, a major street in Pattaya. Pattaya is one of the major top 4 international tourist destinations in Thailand. Sidewalks, pedestrian walkways are in pathetic shape. Pattaya Tai sidewalk has been under construction for more than a year and still not finished and parts of the new sidewalk are already breaking.

Tourists, whether local or international, don't want to come to places with infrastructure that is falling apart.

Quality tourists want to come to high quality destinations, not places as shown in the below photos.

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

Forget Pattaya, there is so much more to Thailand than bars and girls.

however, it is not difficult to understand that they want a more high end tourist when you see some of the mongers that hang around the city.

It’s an embarrasing sight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Let's see ..I'm not what would be classified as a high earning, big spending foreigner...but...in the past 3 years I helped with down payment on a townhouse (where I now live and maintain), I bought 2 cars, I bought two insurance policies (one for my health and one for my extension), and of course I spend money for food, domestic travel, etc etc. But tired old expats like me...out....big spending high flyers in....5555

I sorry, but none of what you spent can be considered tourist money - just let it go. Many think that their personal living expenses is noteworthy - it's just not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He stressed that Thailand needs high quality tourists who are high earners and big spenders

How about being grateful for those (few) who are willing to use your broken Thailand Pass process and risk the consequences of a positive test?

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Let's see ..I'm not what would be classified as a high earning, big spending foreigner...but...in the past 3 years I helped with down payment on a townhouse (where I now live and maintain), I bought 2 cars, I bought two insurance policies (one for my health and one for my extension), and of course I spend money for food, domestic travel, etc etc. But tired old expats like me...out....big spending high flyers in....5555

What they want are cash cows to milk and they are advertising their greed so unabashedly that it is almost comical. The TAT is the pits. 

• Like 1

What was quoted in the title?..Value over volume..?

Well today I finally returned to the LoS... On the lunchtime Emirates flight from Dubai..(a fully laden 777)

But I was not prepared for the sheer emptiness of the place..We were the only plane hooked up to an air-gate on the arrivals-side..! We were the only folk at the Covid station, and at immigration!

OK, I was one of the last to be there 'cos my seat was at the back of the plane, AND the young immigration officer was friendly, but very thorough, and held me at the desk for a good 10 mins checking everything paperwork-wise. 

When I did get my passport stamped and headed off the find my bag it was not that hard.... only 1 carosel was running, and mine was the ONLY bag going round..!  The great hall was almost empty of any living soul..!

It was only in the l;imo-taxi taking me to the AQ hotel that I sat & thought how strange the last hour had been.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that from now on Thailand has to stress "Value over Volume" noting that the country is wonderful for culture and health tourism in particular.  

Health tourism seriously. Any treatment or procedure on offer here I can get better cheaper and better back home, in France. And there are also many others that are still science fiction in LOS.

• Like 1