If a dog sinks its teeth into you, what to do?

If it's biting your face go for the eyes but thinking about it it seems you would have to reach above its face with your hands which would be initially positioned below its face. The nearest vulnerable point is its throat which would be much easier to grab from below. I expect a choking dog would quickly release its jaws.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Beat me to it. Stick a thumb into one or preferably both eyes and it's sure to let go. Don't try to pry its mouth open as a grown dog is sure to be too strong, plus you risk getting bitten on the hand as well.

If a dog, and can't reach eyes, give the balls a good squeeze or a blow.

Dogs are pretty immune to hitting on the body, as I well know, but a good strong stick or pipe across the back legs works a treat ( for anyone trying to help, but free to move ).

I read somewhere that grasping each foreleg and pulling apart works, but no knowledge if it actually works.

If no other recourse, block it's nostrils and hopefully it'll pass out.

Follow up with antibiotics to the human, and hopefully a death blow to the dog.

I guess it's pretty obvious not to get yourself in position in the first place for a dog to bite you in the face. 

As most people know don't look in attacking or what looks like an attacking dog in the eyes. 

Give forearm and don't panic (easy to say)   lift the dog up and kick punch it with all your might.

As for a face bite the eyes defense would be first as well as grabbing one it's legs with the other hand as you would want to make the dog release the bite.

To punch it's nose or thoat or ribs it may put away with some of your face with it. 

It's difficult to give advice because not so bad for fit strong people it's frail and elderly and kids which concerns me and irresponsible dog lovers making excuses.

Edited by Kwasaki

Some dog breeds have underbites and if they really latch onto you they can’t let go, even if they wanted to, so you have to pry open the mouth. 

Some breeds can fly into a frenzy, so the6 don’t want to let go until they snap/get snapped out of it. I think it would be best to ask different breeders or people who work with dogs all the time on what to do. There’s quite a few professional dog breeders on YouTube you can ask. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Give forearm and don't panic (easy to say)   lift the dog up and kick punch it with all your might.

Not a solution with a ridgeback, pitbull, or ambull or any mix of those. Only way to stop them is to chocke them if they go nuts. Any kicking and punching will make it worse. 

Most dogs do not attack, they will warn you and thats it. You run they run, you stop they stop,,,,,,,,,,,, you punch them they bite you

45 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Not a solution with a ridgeback, pitbull, or ambull or any mix of those. Only way to stop them is to chocke them if they go nuts. Any kicking and punching will make it worse. 

Most dogs do not attack, they will warn you and thats it. You run they run, you stop they stop,,,,,,,,,,,, you punch them they bite you

Your missing the context on how I am trying to give advice.

When you talk of Ridgeback and Pitbull etc it's either you or them that survive in an attack. 

Where I live there is no dogs on the loose like that, my walking stick is enough for my protection but thankfully I have no issues in Thailand.

I've watched various serious dog attack videos often involving pitbulls, the common mistake is people trying to pat it away with a stick or something on it's back, it doesn't work, you need to go for the kill otherwise you'll be seriously injured or dead so whatever is to hand, stick or rock to the head, keys in the throat

On 12/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, BananaBandit said:

In fact, I might even be lower on the totem pole than the thing that bit my face.

if the dog senses that you're lower on the totem pole than it, it will treat you as such.

You gotta start to show your dominance in the household hierarchy buddy..

For dog bite get a tetanus and rabies vaccine.

Then learn to be a pack leader, not a sheep -- baa baa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

If you can, grab both front legs & pull out sideways & up as hard as you can.

You may kill it but if not, will never bite you again or come close

And you might get one or even two wishes, depending on how many come off......

• Haha 1

Put your finger or a stick in his ass, it always work. Usually as soon as he gets something in his hole, he releases and you can kick him in the face.

I almost killed one who started to bite my leg, I might have kicked him a bit strong to show him who is the one in charge.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, Kwasaki said:

No not really always go for eyes. 

This thread is I guess about dogs only in Thailand.

Never seen Ridgeback or German shepherd where I live only a Rottweiler which a friend has but have the family next door that has a Pitbull, not sure whether she is pedigere but certainly looks the part.

They have good owners and I'm not bothered by them.

I'm very aware of other Thai soi abanded dogs and even onwers dogs if they admit to it but I am mostly on a motorbike or in my Truck so no problem.

Some places I visit I do get out and walk which is rare but have a walking stick and I will carry a knife but am still aware that if there any packs of dogs in sight would back off and retreat to go back.

if the owner does let his authority be challenged by a puppy,

then he should probably think really hard whether he should own a dog.
And if he chooses to own a dog, try really hard to think like a dog, or at least understand how a dog thinks.

There is a huge difference between a play-bite accident while playing with a pup, and a deliberate bite as described here.

some good stuff on the internet, DoggyDan comes to mind, has great introductory level material that I found to be rather well clarifying how to treat a dog, and how to establish your authority, whenever challenged.

The logic behind it is clear, and starts with the behaviour of the human like a human, as opposed to like a dog pack leader, when interacting with the puppy.

• Like 1