"Overloaded Trucks": Cabinet act after NACC indicate widespread corruption and lawbreaking"

webfact

Sitting in a bar at the end of Beach Road (Pattaya) I noticed a policeman pull up on the other side of the road. Then another one joined him then another until there were 6 sitting talking.. What they were doing there I have no idea'

Traffic was flowing normally and as Beach Road has a 90 degree corner there nobody was speeding. It wasn't due to a helmet check as most locals tend not to ride down Beach Road without a helmet due to heavy police presence.

But this of course means that other areas don't have a  police presence. At the traffic lights near where I live I would think that 40% of riders don't wear helmets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"widespread corruption and law breaking" 

PM and former NCPO Chief Prayut has been the Head of Government continously since May 2014, as well as direct supervision of the RTP and DSI. And now his Cabinet acts? After several times over the years to be directed by Prayut to act against corruption?

Is there a pattern here?

He also made a speech telling all of Thailand that he would be in charge of the Covid  crisis, thinking it would soon go away and he would take all take credit ! Well, that idea was well <deleted>**ed too ! Not a word from him any more about controlling Covid.  He is only in it for the money,

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Yer, its sugarcane time here in Issan---- very few lights on the country roads, and what small lights the old sugarcane trucks have, are usually covered by the cane overload. Sometimes the driver just parks at the side of the road to get some sleep,  and your on them before you realize. Some hang old CD's from the cane to reflect.

Drivers paid by the weight at the mill.

Yep, as the extended family have many rai of sugar (converted rice fields) I see the olde Isuzu trucks leaving and so overloaded they straddle the crest of the road. I also know they stop about an hour from the refinery and hose the load down to increase the weight.

Oh, well this is Isaan -ya gotta luv em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jackinthebox said:

I can't see a problem here, officer! Just plastic barrels, all empty. Weight station says gross vehicle weight less than 7.5to, so no overload  ☺️????

As a bonus, the steering becomes much lighter and front tyre wear reduced......????

• Haha 2

“Widespread corruption and law breaking”

Nooooo!,! Not in Thailand, surely? Anyone want to hazard a guess to the outcome of this? My money is on this: maybe (just maybe) a few violators will be slapped with a fine, and then things will go back to ‘normal’, i.e. the trucks will be continued to be ridiculously overloaded. 

• Like 1

Many years ago a boss of a Thai construction company who was standing for local elections said to me that he wanted to become an MP, so he could try to get the weight limit raised for his trucks and so to not have to keep paying the police off. When I pointed out that overloaded lorries churn up the roads and have a designated load weight limit that their brakes and power units can handle safely, he looked at me as if I was mad. Nothing much has changed. Lorries are still over loaded and the BB are on nice little earners.????

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, Asquith Production said:

If you think an overweight lorry is considered a minor infringement then I take it you have never been involved with goods vehicles.  If overloaded it causes:-

The front wheels to be in less contact with the road therefore making the front brakes less inefficient and the steering to have less of a feel.

Overheating brakes and tyres. causing blowouts and in some cases loss of wheels.

Greater braking distances required causing brakes to overheat.

Suspension bottoming out so the chassis is sitting on the axle.

Loads that are to high cause vehicles to tip over when turning.

Basically if the vehicle is overloaded then its doing something its not designed for and thats why trucks have max axle and gross vehicle weights

I've always thought that the poor state of the left hand lane is partly to do with it taking all the heavy vehicles whether they're overloaded or not and partly because that might be where the "commission" comes from.

You do see a lot of delaminated tyres on the roads. Not hat surprising really.

Bald Tyres.jpg

17 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Many years ago a boss of a Thai construction company who was standing for local elections said to me that he wanted to become an MP, so he could try to get the weight limit raised for his trucks and so to not have to keep paying the police off. When I pointed out that overloaded lorries churn up the roads and have a designated load weight limit that their brakes and power units can handle safely, he looked at me as if I was mad. Nothing much has changed. Lorries are still over loaded and the BB are on nice little earners.????

There's a sequel to this story, politicians get appointed to the position of minister for roads etc.

Guess what  industry he came from? He owned the biggest fleet of trucks and buses in the country at the time.

Day 1 on the job he tabled an amendment to massively increase maximum weight allowed for trucks and buses. All passed.

Same man very involved in selling temple land.