What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

16 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thanks for the heads up @xylophone. I already downloaded this and was going to watch it today. I won't bother now.

Already downloaded, then give it watch.  It's OK, though nothing new about it, just a bit different.  Didn't see the earlier versions, so can't compare, and wouldn't anyway.  People that do are usually disappointed.  

The usual assassin, screws an op, then protects an innocent.  Simply played by different actors you may or may not like.  It's a movie, not a documentary. 

Good for killing time, as they all are.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

IMO, this movie was an absolute pile of cr@p with a totally improbable storyline, which almost makes it a fairy story with the amount of ridiculous action scenes.

Furthermore after watching it through to the very end, I still don't understand it, and for many it seems that it was just a nonsense.

Whatever it was supposed to be, it comes nowhere near the good CIA/Black Ops/spy movies of the past, those without all of the totally unrealistic "action" scenes.

It should have been labelled a comic – strip movie.

Not sure what people are expecting with this kind of movie. Is it any different than The Hitman's Bodyguard, Deadpool, or any of the Marvel movies? It's pure escapism, nothing more. Maybe I've been dumbed down by the mediocre offerings from Hollywood these days, but I accepted it for what it was, chewing gum for the eyes.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, xylophone said:

Same here, and I wasn't expecting much of it, however I did enjoy it which was a nice surprise – – aiming to watch the first episode of "Grey Man" tonight, although some feedback has been mixed..............

Yet this movie (The Prizefighter) gets a lower IMDB score (5.4) than The Gray Man (6.6). Go figure.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Not sure what people are expecting with this kind of movie. Is it any different than The Hitman's Bodyguard, Deadpool, or any of the Marvel movies? It's pure escapism, nothing more. Maybe I've been dumbed down by the mediocre offerings from Hollywood these days, but I accepted it for what it was, chewing gum for the eyes.

I don't know Giddyup as have never watched movies like that as I don't like them. For me, I either watch something which is pure fantasy, and know it to be that, like "Lord of the rings" for example, or straightforward movies with plots etc and those with a believable storyline and action.

For that reason I don't watch the likes of Spider-Man/Marvel movies/similar, however give me a good movie like "Bridge of Spies" or "The Shawshank Redemption and "Castaway" and I'll be happy!!

Just now, xylophone said:

I don't know Giddyup as have never watched movies like that as I don't like them. For me, I either watch something which is pure fantasy, and know it to be that, like "Lord of the rings" for example, or straightforward movies with plots etc and those with a believable storyline and action.

For that reason I don't watch the likes of Spider-Man/Marvel movies/similar, however give me a good movie like "Bridge of Spies" or "The Shawshank Redemption and "Castaway" and I'll be happy!!

Well, that's a bit like saying that you only enjoy comedies, so you found Schindlers List depressing.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I always thought that the 90s.....early 2000s was a golden era for movies-- 

The Usual Suspects

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

GoodFellas

The Silence of the Lambs

The Big Lebowski

Trainspotting

The Shawshank Redemption

Could rattle of a much bigger list-- I am not into comedy at all--but even ones like Groundhog Day, were appealing because the ideas were new/Fresh.. the scripts do seem a little stale on most today.

Or maybe we have just seen to much.......:coffee1:

All great movies above @sanuk711. I generally avoid comedies but I did like Groundhog Day. I do think that "older" movies generally are better quality with respect to entertainment and plots than their newer counterparts. I guess that's why I watch TV series mainly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Already downloaded, then give it watch.  It's OK, though nothing new about it, just a bit different.  Didn't see the earlier versions, so can't compare, and wouldn't anyway.  People that do are usually disappointed.  

The usual assassin, screws an op, then protects an innocent.  Simply played by different actors you may or may not like.  It's a movie, not a documentary. 

Good for killing time, as they all are.

OK, I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

We all have our preferences I never watch documentaries - ever. I consider it a fraudulent  genre. I also don't watch political propaganda movies either which I find patronising and always left wing. But some people love documentaries and true crime stuff. They are very cheap to make so are very profitable for the makers. No actors, no sets, tiny creative  crew hardly any creative team. Virtually  cost free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I always thought that the 90s.....early 2000s was a golden era for movies-- 

The Usual Suspects

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

GoodFellas

The Silence of the Lambs

The Big Lebowski

Trainspotting

The Shawshank Redemption

Could rattle of a much bigger list-- I am not into comedy at all--but even ones like Groundhog Day, were appealing because the ideas were new/Fresh.. the scripts do seem a little stale on most today.

Or maybe we have just seen to much.......:coffee1:

Lets face it if they were being made today,they would have to shoehorn charectors into them, and we all know what they would be ,take your pick,and then the film would be just another way of showing the younger generation how normal these things are,but we all know they are on the whole a very tiny minority.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Well, that's a bit like saying that you only enjoy comedies, so you found Schindlers List depressing.

Not at all, and it seems you've missed my point, because if I was watching a comedy and knew it was supposed to be a comedy then I'm sure I would enjoy it, however if I was watching what is supposed to be a CIA/spy movie, but it is nothing more than a CGI/Marvel rubbish nonsense juvenile flick, with very little going for it, then that's the difference.

The skill of the moviemaker, the actors, and the subject makes it for me, and this one just didn't cut the mustard, whatever it was supposed to be!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

The skill of the moviemaker, the actors, and the subject makes it for me, and this one just didn't cut the mustard, whatever it was supposed to be!

Well, you'd be hard pushed to find a better cast than in The Gray Man, but I have also enjoyed plenty of movies with actors I'd never seen before, but it's whatever floats your boat. Strange that you could say you'd enjoy a comedy as long as you knew it was supposed to be a comedy. What difference does knowing what genre of movie it is affect whether you enjoy it or not? 

Edited by giddyup

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Wow Hammer2021---some of the most memorable things I have watched have been through Doco's

- I find peoples Life story's fascinating, the way some people handle extreme adversities in their life, or how they have made a discovery (invention)  or pursued  objectives.

And, I dont think I would have understood 90% of the things that happened in history without some Doco explaining it to me.

I was watching one last week-- In the  lost and found series, I was looking for "The Legacy of USS Lagarto" a submarine which they didn't know had sank in the Thai Gulf during the war until a Brit Diver stumbled upon it in 2005.  but I ended up watching about the 2011 earth quake in Japan--which then created a tsunami hitting 90 cities killing 18K people--washing millions of tons into the ocean ---one year latter Beachcombers in North America started finding Japanese items washed ashore --some family treasures handed down-story was about some of the people wanting to give them back and traveling to Japan--it was a good watch.

If someone said you could only watch one genre---for me it would have to be documentaries.

** Still haven't found  a download of the TV program on the finding of the USS Lagarto  2009 anyone find it let me know

A documentary is just an artificial  construct like a drama pretending to be more real. I prefer to see the realities of life, people and their trials, tribulations and triumphs within an honestly constructed, acted directed  and produced framework. I stopped watching documentary productions back in the late 70s. Every so often I dip into one and turn them off pretty soon. The idea of documentary  reality is a con trick and so called reality TV and true  crime just cheap TV. I don't find the informative or entertaining. I don't read non fiction books either. I watched The Bear recently a drama about a kitchen and restaurant. I believe  it was more real than any documentary about the same subject.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, you'd be hard pushed to find a better cast than in The Gray Man, but I have also enjoyed plenty of movies with actors I'd never seen before, but it's whatever floats your boat. Strange that you could say you'd enjoy a comedy as long as you knew it was supposed to be a comedy. What difference does knowing what genre of movie it is affect whether you enjoy it or not? 

Well we're going to have to disagree aren't we, because although the cast may have been good, the acting wasn't, nor was the plot, nor IMO the movie, hence my comment.

As regards your next comment, well I like to know what I'm supposed to be watching and knowing what type of movie it is, makes it more enjoyable for me......give me an action movie so that I can enjoy and appreciate the action, give me a comedy so that I can enjoy the comedy, but don't present a childlike mishmash of a movie with comic-like scenes when it is supposed to be an action thriller and expect me to like it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A documentary is just an artificial  construct like a drama pretending to be more real. I prefer to see the realities of life, people and their trials, tribulations and triumphs within an honestly constructed, acted directed  and produced framework. I stopped watching documentary productions back in the late 70s. Every so often I dip into one and turn them off pretty soon. The idea of documentary  reality is a con trick and so called reality TV and true  crime just cheap TV. I don't find the informative or entertaining. I don't read non fiction books either. I watched The Bear recently a drama about a kitchen and restaurant. I believe  it was more real than any documentary about the same subject.

A documentary isn't portraying the realities of life?  A drama that was more real than a documentary, how is that possible? Surely you're only spouting this nonsense to wind people up?

"a movie or a television or radio program that provides a factual record or report".

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. Woke casting is destroying the credibility of many productions. It's creates anachronism and inappropriate and inaccurate historical narratives for dubious ideological purposes. Did you see that viking series with the woman leader who was Jamaican?

Looked it up on imdb soon as i saw here,didnt bother to download it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Looked it up on imdb soon as i saw here,didnt bother to download it.

Watched the trailer, and that female just didn't belong.  Even researched the timeline, to see if even possible, and NO.

All inclusive is fine, as they do walk among us ... ????  but not for a time piece, at least try to keep it real.

Being in is fine (non historical), but don't play the oppression angle, as that's BS in the western world now, and been that way for 30 ish yrs, at least where I'm from.  Actually never an issue in my peer group growing up.  I obviously grew up in different environment.

• Thanks 1