What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 9/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, seedy said:

Frozen Planet II

I enjoyed this.  I like these nature shows, what annoys me is instead of seeing place the screen is filled with the face of the narrator.  This one doesn't do that. 

Saw one recently of these two French guys who navigated the Himalayas by parasailing (Lost in Karakorum).  Some incredible views, but unfortunately more than half the time it is footage of the two guys filming each other.

18 hours ago, biervoormij said:

Has anyone watched Abbott Elementary or The Dropout and mind giving me their opinion if either are worth downloading? I have watched most of nomination that interested me but seemed to have missed any reviews of these 2 series.

I enjoyed The Dropout. Reviews here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10166622/

But I happen to find the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos pretty interesting, even amazing. Amanda SeyFried didn't look as much like Elizabeth as we might have wished, but she did a good portrayal.

You might first watch more of a documentary:

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8488126/

Based on the original book by the WSJ reporter who broke the case to the public. The series focuses more on Elizabeth herself and fills in a lot of details. It's also a bit more up-to-date.

Now there is plenty of blood in these, but none o' that shootin' and killin' or portentous murder mystery.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I downloaded and watched, "NOPE" which seems to have crept surreptitiously into the movies I am able to download, so I was hoping for a nice surprise.

My feedback is: –

– IMO, is it a good movie – NOPE

– Does it have characters which develop and draw you into the movie – NOPE

– Is the storyline good – NOPE, and what on earth the chimpanzee beginning has to do with the movie, I'm not quite sure.

– Were the special effects good? – NOPE. And the spaceship/entity/thingy would have been more at home in an Ed Wood movie.

– Was it original – NOPE as the spaceship/entity/thingy repeated similar scenes which were seen in another war of the worlds movie.

Altogether a NOPE!!

Perhaps you missed my previous in-depth expose!

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245104-what-movies-or-tv-shows-are-you-watching-2022/?do=findComment&comment=17568329

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Will27 said:

What am I missing?

Me jumping to --"Wrong" conclusions

cover

I saw him on stage once---so when I saw--and copied the  the wrong posting  ---took me a few minutes to think---wasn't he a Yorkshire geezer --and he just used that name on the space ship........DUH...........:w00t:

he real one---film maker

image.png.2aa9183fa73cbf6ac35194a776f857e0.png.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Detectorists series. For the second time.

Quite possibly the best tv series to come out of the U.K. in recent years imho.

Watched it for the second time in its entirety recently.

On a recent trip to the U.K. I tried to encourage my daughter to watch it, she gave me the same look I gave my parents when they were laughing at Last of the Summer Wine !!

Oh my god , I’ve turned into my parents !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Quite possibly the best tv series to come out of the U.K. in recent years imho.

Watched it for the second time in its entirety recently.

On a recent trip to the U.K. I tried to encourage my daughter to watch it, she gave me the same look I gave my parents when they were laughing at Last of the Summer Wine !!

Oh my god , I’ve turned into my parents !!

We 'discussed' the series on the Diary thread some time ago. Since then I've played the theme song to both the wife and daughter. At least Mildred listened to the end.

I also persuaded a Texan friend to take a look at a few episodes. He didn't get it. But that didn't surprise me. Recall that moment when Tommy Cooper was performing in Las Vegas. His agent and the theatre manager were watching Tommy's routine from the wings. After a few minutes, the manager said quietly to the agent; "Mr Coopers tricks don't seem to be working."

The UK and US. Two countries divided by a common language and comedy.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I downloaded and watched, "NOPE" which seems to have crept surreptitiously into the movies I am able to download, so I was hoping for a nice surprise.

My feedback is: –

– IMO, is it a good movie – NOPE

– Does it have characters which develop and draw you into the movie – NOPE

– Is the storyline good – NOPE, and what on earth the chimpanzee beginning has to do with the movie, I'm not quite sure.

– Were the special effects good? – NOPE. And the spaceship/entity/thingy would have been more at home in an Ed Wood movie.

– Was it original – NOPE as the spaceship/entity/thingy repeated similar scenes which were seen in another war of the worlds movie.

Altogether a NOPE!!

This movie is the highest downloaded movie of last month - I cant work it out. I was going to give it a watch one rainy day last week just to see.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

This movie is the highest downloaded movie of last month - I cant work it out. I was going to give it a watch one rainy day last week just to see.

Well, I suppose it's pretty slim pickings these days, people will watch any kind of dross, as for the most part, there's not much choice.

• Like 1

If you've been watching America's Got Talent and don't know who won yet, do not read this post!

So the final happened and am wondering that perhaps AGT is not particularly American?

The judges, a Brit, a Canuck, a German, and a Colombian. Some might be U.S. citizens now but I'm pretty sure at least two aren't.  I noticed on Britain's Got Talent ALL the judges are Brits. 

OK I guess if they mean The Americas rather than the USA, that's three out of four.

The finalists, an Aussie and a big crowd of Lebanese. 

So the Lebanese dancers won and well deserved, but it's such a big group, they're supposed to be moving to Las Vegas, how many will actually be able to get long term visas?

Not being xenophobic, such international inclusion means getting even better talent, and I'm proud that American voters don't discriminate, but I'm really wondering about the visas.

Edited by Jingthing

On 9/15/2022 at 3:12 PM, owl sees all said:

We 'discussed' the series on the Diary thread some time ago. Since then I've played the theme song to both the wife and daughter. At least Mildred listened to the end.

I also persuaded a Texan friend to take a look at a few episodes. He didn't get it. But that didn't surprise me. Recall that moment when Tommy Cooper was performing in Las Vegas. His agent and the theatre manager were watching Tommy's routine from the wings. After a few minutes, the manager said quietly to the agent; "Mr Coopers tricks don't seem to be working."

The UK and US. Two countries divided by a common language and comedy. 

When I was growing up Monty Python's Flying Circus was the most popular comedy among my American peers. The truth is some shows translate well and others don't. I don't agree that the UK US divide is that great. In my experience it's gotten a lot smaller. I've noticed due to t.v. shows more and more Britishisms slipping into American English. When I was young Americans would never say spot on, now it's common. 

A new word to me -- Anglocreep. I like it. 

13 Britishisms That Have Invaded American English | HuffPost Life

Even Americans Find Some Britishisms 'Spot On' : NPR

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Confess, Fletch (2022)

fmovies.

"In this delightful comedy romp, Jon Hamm stars as the roguishly charming and endlessly troublesome Fletch, who becomes the prime suspect in a murder case while searching for a stolen art collection. The only way to prove his innocence? Find out which of the long list of suspects is the culprit - from the eccentric art dealer and a missing playboy to a crazy neighbor and Fletch’s Italian girlfriend. Crime, in fact, has never been this disorganized."

Loved the 'Fletch' series of novels and earlier Chevy Chase tie-in movies. 

Five Days at Memorial (2022)

Final episode of 8 now out.

fmovies.

"Based on actual events from Hurricane Katrina, Five Days at Memorial tells the story of the exhausted caregivers at a New Orleans hospital who were forced to make heart-wrenching decisions amidst the storm’s aftermath."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I'm currently watching season 7 of Shetland. Very good IMHO and worth a look, just like the previous 6 seasons. I'm watching it on BBC iPlayer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396135/

This is the last of Doug Henshaw. Sorry to see him go. Season 8 will have a new headman

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Season 8 will have a new headman

Season 8 will have a new headman..  Your talking about the BBC  longball53098....so I think you can put your house on it, that it wont be a headman .. (unless he is gay  & black)

Yes good acting--a lot of crime on a little island wasn't there.

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

This is the last of Doug Henshaw. Sorry to see him go. Season 8 will have a new headman

Really enjoyed it with him in it ,we will see with a new guy,so suprisrd how many people of colour live on the island, if you see a real life series about the place you never see any.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you've been watching America's Got Talent and don't know who won yet, do not read this post!

So the final happened and am wondering that perhaps AGT is not particularly American?

The judges, a Brit, a Canuck, a German, and a Colombian. Some might be U.S. citizens now but I'm pretty sure at least two aren't.  I noticed on Britain's Got Talent ALL the judges are Brits. 

OK I guess if they mean The Americas rather than the USA, that's three out of four.

The finalists, an Aussie and a big crowd of Lebanese. 

So the Lebanese dancers won and well deserved, but it's such a big group, they're supposed to be moving to Las Vegas, how many will actually be able to get long term visas?

Not being xenophobic, such international inclusion means getting even better talent, and I'm proud that American voters don't discriminate, but I'm really wondering about the visas.

I always watch the series, some good talent this year. i liked the country singer, cross between Elvis and Springsteen

• Like 1