Support Walking Street

AwwYesNice1

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Walking Street is dead, just like the decaying condo development at it's head. Most of the entertainment areas will soon be gone. We will be left with a few bars on LK Metro.

Put your money where your mouth is, if wrong 5,000 baht to charity?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I give it 90% chance for WS to be bulldozed within the next 10 years if not 5. And that be for better too, make it a nice pier with some more decent businesses and fill up the empty places between beach road and second road with the bars instead.

Can you give some examples of what you call, "decent businesses?"  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

I don't see walking street as any special, why is it? And I doubt Walking street is well known out there in the world among people who never visited Pattaya.

Red light district In Amsterdam and  Reperbanen is well-known in the world, even for those who never visiting either the cities or any other interest in the country or P4P

You're 100 % right.????

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Baccara, Happy, Sensations, Living Dolls, Living Dolls Showcase, Airport, Skyfall, Peppermint, Mandarin, Alcatraz.  Maybe some will reopen but they're all good for a decent night out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Shops selling souvenirs, Shops selling shoes and T shirts, Coffee shops, kbob shops etc....The same stuff as on every other street.......Don't think the flag followers will be taking many selfies or following many flags on the new walking street...

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Baccara, Happy, Sensations, Living Dolls, Living Dolls Showcase, Airport, Skyfall, Peppermint, Mandarin, Alcatraz.  Maybe some will reopen but they're all good for a decent night out.

I was responding to a member who stated Walking Street will be bulldozed, and "decent businesses" built there in the future.  I asked for clarification on what is a "decent business."  .  The businesses you mention are already there.  

24 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Shops selling souvenirs, Shops selling shoes and T shirts, Coffee shops, kbob shops etc....The same stuff as on every other street.......Don't think the flag followers will be taking many selfies or following many flags on the new walking street...

Pattaya already has many of the brands you mention.  If rents remain ridiculously high on Walking Street, why would those brands open on a new Walking Street, especially when they have another shop only a few hundred meters away?  

Sex sells better than hamburgers, coffee, kebabs, T-shirts and souvenirs. 

It was the high rents that killed Walking Street, and saw the rise of the LK Metro / Soi Baukaew area.  

Without a correction in market rent, whoever and whatever is on Walking Street, new or old, will struggle.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's a myth that keeps getting repeated

I don't claim to know the facts.  Happy to discuss it.  

Aren't all the beaches in Thailand technically owned by the Thai monarchy?  

The righthand side is built on the sand.

Isn't this why they wanted to dump tons of sand there to extend the beach, to then be able to claim the righthand side is not actually built on the beach?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The righthand side is built on the sand.

Isn't this why they wanted to dump tons of sand there to extend the beach, to then be able to claim the righthand side is not actually built on the beach?  

Brian Flowers and Mr Egg discussed it in a video a few months ago, said only one business had a licence issue and from memory that was more to do with waste disposal, but the myth keeps getting repeated no matter what people say

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Brian Flowers and Mr Egg discussed it in a video a few months ago, said only one business had a licence issue and from memory that was more to do with waste disposal, but the myth keeps getting repeated no matter what people say

I see your point, a license legitimizes the business, but with due respect, a licence is a piece of paper, allowing the type of business to be carried out on the premises. 

I'm talking about the building itself.  The bricks and mortar. 

To date, at any time in recent history, has any "owner" produced a land title document for their property on the righthand side of Walking Street?     

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't think private property can be bulldozed just like that.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's my understanding the righthand side of Walking Street is all illegal encroachment. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's a myth that keeps getting repeated

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

To date, at any time in recent history, has any "owner" produced a land title document for their property on the righthand side of Walking Street?     

Here we go:

https://landsmaps.dol.go.th/

Upper top right corner there's [TH | EN ], pick English obviously then use the drop down menus and search the area by title deed numbers if you know them or if any actually are registered.

Otherwise, good old point and click, keep on zooming until you reach the desired area; Walking Street.

A red grid should then appear, each properly gridded area represents 1 unique title deed for each parcel of *properly registered* land piece. You get then access to more informations including links to land size, estimated value, ownership details, tax reports, etc.

Now I've gone ahead and done the counting for you; the right side of Walking Street (the one that's encroaching on illegal land aka the beach) only has 23 properly registered chunks of land.

Whereas the other side of the street, the one on firm concrete land has well over 300 properly registered land chunks.

300 to 23. 23 to 300.

Do I need to say more or is the "myth" an actual reality this time around?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:33 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Support walking street or street walkers?..asking for a friend

They are all part of the high energy community  that is WS which is, or was the most fun  packed  pedestrian  zone in the world! I remember  drinking until 3am when the go gos  closed then on to beeps and squeaks club like Ibar..then at 5am  asking passing thais where to go next then after leaving the duck club at 7am onto a pool bar for the soft  morning  sunshine beers..and then motosai taxi home...But I found in my late 60s these excessive sessions slowed me down the next day...But what cracking fun!! Amazing Thailand.  Amazing  Pattaya Amazing Walking Street

• Like 2

Just now, ThaiPauly said:

Do you know what the rent is in WS?

I know that a reasonable sized bar will be looking at paying 130,000 baht a month along with tea money every three years.

I don't believe they would destroy whats there now and loose that income.

Right now they are not getting any rent from closed bars, so once they open again the landlords will no doubt be at the door with their hands out.

No Bloke. Please do not take this response negatively. I don't know what the rent is (or will be) on WS but I imagine was not cheap.

I think your comment is most excellent as there are always 2 sides to a discussion.

I hadn't given any thought to landlords who may still hold bars. Perhaps there is a tomorrow?

20 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I know that a reasonable sized bar will be looking at paying 130,000 baht a month along with tea money every three years

Pre Covid, 130K for a reasonably sized bar in one of the busiest tourist locations in the kingdom IMO is not expensive at all.....................................

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She must have been riveted by your company!

What am I the entertainment... that is what she is there for.

Hard to talk to someone trying to look down at their phone. Anyhow, the simple point is those beer bars are taking the <deleted> and let them go under

• Haha 1