Swedish man reportedly attacked by two Thai men on Pattaya Beach for no reason

webfact

The Swede did a foolish thing by being by himself so late at night.

He may have thought himself as a tourist, but forgot that Thailand 

is not the same as it was during his last visit.  I hope he got good information at the

police station, about all the rules and restrictions in effect so he will behave himself for the rest of his 

wonderful COVID vacation in Thailand.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

The Swede did a foolish thing by being by himself so late at night.

He may have thought himself as a tourist, but forgot that Thailand 

is not the same as it was during his last visit.  I hope he got good information at the

police station, about all the rules and restrictions in effect so he will behave himself for the rest of his 

wonderful COVID vacation in Thailand.

There is nothing foolish about being alone down there at 11pm, which is not even that late.  I guarantee you there was more to it than that.  The only problem I have ever had on beach road late at night (much latter than 11pm) are the ladyboys hanging around there trying to pick pocket people. 

As long as you don't look like an easy mark staggering all over the place and you don't let them get close to you they won't try anything.  I've NEVER seen anyone have problems being jumped by Thai guys unless they provoked them in some way.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Whatever the true story.. this is another lovely little story which will add to the glorious image of Thailand in the nordic mindset....

Oh puulease.  Thailand is way safer than most other countries.  If anything, the farangs cause more problems than the Thais.  Pattaya doesn't exactly attract the best farangs after all.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That article is more than 4 years old and even if the same rules apply today, it does not describe it is forbidden to drink on the beach.

Drinking alcohol in temples, pharmacies, schools, gas stations and public parks is illegal and punishable by a fine of up to 10,000 baht and/or up to 6 months imprisonment.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow - hyperbolae !!!!.... 

Drunk ?

Uneducated ??

Bothering the freelancers ???

BTW: he’s not slouching in his chair, he’s getting something out of his handbag.

Still looks like a slouch...  and I think he's still outside the restrictions imposed which may be why the locals had a go at him.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The idea that a foreigner could be responsible is outrageous.  The Scandinavians especially are famous for their tee total lifestyle and  fondness for tea drinking  cycling and meditation. Thailand would be a lot safer for foreigners if there were no go zones where Thais were not allowed unless they had a special pass to access and serve white people. Gambia and DR have such a system with resorts for tourists only except  service staff and prostitutes. Tourists fly in and get a special shuttle bus to the foreigners only resort and thus enjoy their holiday without the risk of  meeting locals.

So like what the Chinese already do.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Thai guys won't jump you unless provoked in some way.  Just sitting alone drinking a beer is certainly not a reason.  The guy was probably hammered and mouthing off or something.

Pure supposition... he made himself a target and got rewarded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobU said:

I have started carrying a 'Manbag' much more convenient than pockets. If you were a beautiful Thai lady and said such a thing to me I would accompany you back to your station, otherwise please go away with short jerky movements (**** off)????

It is something that would almost certainly get left behind somewhere. I just do not see how they are more convenient than pockets.... women seem to spend most of their time fumbling around in them.....

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The idea that a foreigner could be responsible is outrageous.  The Scandinavians especially are famous for their tee total lifestyle and  fondness for tea drinking  cycling and meditation. Thailand would be a lot safer for foreigners if there were no go zones where Thais were not allowed unless they had a special pass to access and serve white people. Gambia and DR have such a system with resorts for tourists only except  service staff and prostitutes. Tourists fly in and get a special shuttle bus to the foreigners only resort and thus enjoy their holiday without the risk of  meeting locals.

Excellent Sir. Could not have said it better. This had nothing to do with having a beer. Give me a break. I like that no go zones. These local lowlifes shouldn't be allowed on the promenade. What with their smoking, lying around, riding motorbikes. And things like this report that I have no problem with accepting .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you going to ask for link ??? peer reviewed paper ?

Even someone as obtuse as yourself cannot fail to recognise that ‘random acts of violence’ happen.... 

Its the oldest alibi in the book. Fight breaks out "hey I was just minding my own business and....."

10 hours ago, tomyami said:

If he slapped back which is what they really deserve and then if he made it to soi 9 police station he would be locked up, as it is he will have paid 50b for reporting it.

11pm on the beach having a beer was possible pre covid now with it so empty not a wise move

Everyone focus on the drinking go down to the beach there are locals on the sand pavement gather sharing their food Jim June hot pot drinking maybe he got slap ask to get off bench because that was the guy bed? 

31 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Meanwhile, the AseanNow reactionaries are clearly out in force in this thread justifying 2 on 1 violence over beer. Makes me wonder why they ever came to "lawless" Thailand given their slavish desire for their interpretation of law and order and irrespective of whether the facts support it?!

Sadly, I think hating on other "falangs" is probably one of the highlights of living in Thailand for these people. 

Who can blame them though?  Foreigners are clearly the scum of the Earth and Thais can do no wrong. /s

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:19 AM, RichardColeman said:

Seems one of the safest place for a crime or selling your body is actually outside the police station !

It was the favoured spot for the jet-ski scammers as they could rely on a local Bobby/Bibby to help out with negotiations.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Scandinavians especially are famous for their tee total lifestyle and  fondness for tea drinking  cycling and meditation.

Nice ironic comment.  The Swedes next door to me party every night AND they have a noisy dog.  They show NO consideration for anyone about them; they are a dreadful advert for their country.

Just now, mikebell said:

Nice ironic comment.  The Swedes next door to me party every night AND they have a noisy dog.  They show NO consideration for anyone about them; they are a dreadful advert for their country.

Im sure every country have their cup of tea and cream of the cream. Not only Scandinavians who is represented

22 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It's wrong when you disregard cultural etiquette in country not your own. Victim may have brought this on himself with his western behavior. 

What do you want to say???? Every day and evening I see locals having drinks along the beach..... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

What do you want to say???? Every day and evening I see locals having drinks along the beach..... 

Doubt they are locals as they know fully well that beaches and parks can't be substituted for closed bars and restaurants to continue drinnking and face fines of up to 100,000B or a year in jail.

pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-beaches-open-but-not-for-drinking-351839

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word