When are people too old to ride motorcycles around town?

OneMoreFarang

22 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I am 75 in 3 weeks time. I drive my Forza everyday , granted not in BKK or CNX but up round the mountains here mostly.  I have said though should me and my bike end up lying in the road for whatever reason it will be the end of 2 wheel riding for me.

be careful or it may be the end of you, not just your riding?  

10 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

be careful or it may be the end of you, not just your riding?  

The end is not so bad in my opinion, it is the road to final destination that worries me most. Less carnage the better, and hopefully with eyes open 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Been riding all my life from 4 yr.

Was doing track days and racing up to 57 yr old until I came to Thailand.

I will keep riding as long as I am physically possible to do so. 

I'm 75 this year and still looking forward to riding my supersport bike at 85.

Thats impressive, I got 12 more years in my eyes, but might change my opinion when I get to 65. I guess we all go blind the older we get. 

as said in my experience the turning point for most is around 65 where I am considering them as dangerous to themselves and to others. Not many past 70 years in my experience still riding good, but have met one 65 year old aussie who still seems to be on top of it! Maybe you? Based in Khon Khaen?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thats impressive, I got 12 more years in my eyes, but might change my opinion when I get to 65. I guess we all go blind the older we get. 

as said in my experience the turning point for most is around 65 where I am considering them as dangerous to themselves and to others. Not many past 70 years in my experience still riding good, but have met one 65 year old aussie who still seems to be on top of it! Maybe you? Based in Khon Khaen?

Perhaps you think too much, wait and see how your life/body evolves......????

Just now, transam said:

Perhaps you think too much, wait and see how your life/body evolves......????

It is like a fart, when you can not hold on to it anymore, you have to let it go ????

I dont like o be an old fart

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is like a fart, when you can not hold on to it anymore, you have to let it go ????

I dont like o be an old fart

Think positive, if you think old, that is probably what you will get, and earlier than you think...????..????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

In Thailand the locals have set the bar pretty low so I think most of us can say that.

In Thailand you need to learn the locals way of riding or driving . If you do not  do that the bar is raised pretty high for foreigners .

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. I believe  you and everyone else who boasts  about themselves.

Well Mr Hammer you have now come across the first one you should believe in .

I have always been a good driver actually . I am not boasting 

• Like 1

«

So at what age should you stop riding a motorcycle? The age at which motorcycle riders should stop riding a motorcycle is dependent on their physical, mental, and overall health condition. The majority of motorcycle riders stop riding their motorcycle at ages between 60 to 85 depending on how confident they feel, how capable they are, and the local laws.

Of course, this can be considered somewhat of a sensitive topic. If you tell some riders that they are too old to ride, you better not be standing anywhere near them.

But let’s take a more objective look at the matters at hand»

https://motorcyclebrave.com/at-what-age-should-you-stop-riding-a-motorcycle/

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, itsari said:

In Thailand you need to learn the locals way of riding or driving.

Is there a concept behind what they are doing? I still try to discover that.

I.e. if I am 2 meter behind a car I can be sure someone will squeeze into the "gap" between me and that car? Why? Maybe because they can, even if that won't help them in any way.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

The end is not so bad in my opinion, it is the road to final destination that worries me most. Less carnage the better, and hopefully with eyes open 

we are all matching hand in hand to oblivion, its only the length of the march  that is unknown. 

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Another interesting article. Thanks for posting. Having read through it quite diligently, I am, more than ever, quite happy to continue riding.

When I read through the paragraph headed: 'What are the signs that you should stop riding your motorcycle?' I was pleased to note that not one of those issues gave me cause for concern.

My only Concession to age is that I do not ride at night. I'm aware that my eyes take longer to react to changes in light intensity caused by oncoming traffic. It's not much of an issue in town, but I now live in the country so it's best avoided.

I'll be out there riding tomorrow. 

Im 53 and do not ride during night in Thailand either. Back home in Norway, I can see myself riding to much hogher age than Thailand, but I guess I would be without license after one week up there. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I wonder how long I might be able to ride a bike here in Bangkok. Maybe until I am 65 or maybe 70 or until which age?

I'm 65, purchased a Honda CB300F last year.

I do find it a bit heavy to push around, but apart from that no problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1