can a farang legally pick wild-growing fruit?

BananaBandit

I have a sweet tooth for wild-growing fruit. I also like to explore. 

I would love to venture into some nearby mountains and forage for fruit. 

Many Isaan natives do this.  I'm sure it's no legal issue for them.  But is it legal for a farang?

A while back, I read about two farang finding big trouble because they went fishing in a Thai national park (can't recall the province or region). This is somewhat concerning.   At the same time, I'm not seeking to fish; I want to forage. Also, and perhaps more importantly, I'm quite sure my nearby mountains do not qualify as a national park. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Pick up anything else than "wild" thai herb and go for it! Elephant's and snakes is only thing what you need to be scared of!

I fish every week in village whit guys and have picked up mushroom's, berrys, wild nuts etc.

But dont start shoot and eat everything what breathe or swim and you are ok.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Pick up anything else than "wild" thai herb and go for it! Elephant's and snakes is only thing what you need to be scared of!

I fish every week in village whit guys and have picked up mushroom's, berrys, wild nuts etc.

But dont start shoot and eat everything what breathe or swim and you are ok.

Then how come you not in jail yet like the mushroom picking Thai couple

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

Are you sure its a good idea to go alone on a trip like that?

You are more or less dead if you catch a snakebite alone out in the wild. Then you have the other dangers like centipedes, scorpions, stray dogs.

I would consider bringing a Thai with me on the first trip. Get a local to guide you for a few hundred baht until you are familiar with the area.

this is good advice

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

As long as you make noise while your walking through the jungle the snakes will slither off before you get near them. Elephants and Tigers are a different story of course...

Yes agree, most of the time. 

But you will come across a nutter (snake and the occasional human ????) that will want to stay and fight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

At the same time, I'm not seeking to fish; I want to forage.

Foraging is working so you will need a work permit ???? 

Even if locals do it, someone somewhere might discover a golden goose opportunity in your addiction for munching wild maprangs and langsats. Nonexistent laws might suddenly exist. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

As long as you make noise while your walking through the jungle the snakes will slither off before you get near them. Elephants and Tigers are a different story of course...

Unless the snake is a Malayan Pit Viper of course. Well known for not moving even if you walk towards it. They are also very difficult to see on the ground, strike incredibly fast and are VERY venomous.

Apart from that, they're fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Foraging is working so you will need a work permit ???? 

Even if locals do it, someone somewhere might discover a golden goose opportunity in your addiction for munching wild maprangs and langsats. Nonexistent laws might suddenly exist. 

Perhaps an agent can help ? (????)

I always wonder how people like you even made it so far in life.

Your great-great-grandparents would be ashamed of you. What a sheepish behaviour.

Just do it. I did many things in Thailand that theoretically would be not allowed, at least I guess, I do not even know for sure. This is Thailand. Many Thais do things all the time without it being allowed. Enjoy your time in a country where you are still more free than in The West.

If you are not a <deleted>, if you do not <deleted> up a local, you will be fine in any case where you do something which might not be fully covered by the law.

Where is the common sense of people nowadays?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You mean to let the snakes & scorpions bite him instead?    LOL

Snakes are deaf so they will not hear you, but they sense vibration, be careful of anything you pick up from the ground and the trees , I got bit by 3 small scorpions, I was unwell for weeks after being hospitalised  take care and carry medical supplies 

• Like 1