No change at zebras after the fuss: Motorcyclists routinely ignoring crossing as pedestrians run for their lives

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

The national soul searching and reaction to the death of a doctor in Bangkok at a zebra crossing means nothing if a report by Siam Rath is anything to go by.

Nothing has changed after the death of Dr Kratai in Phayathai - everyone, especially motorcyclists are still ignoring the crossings. 

Siam Rath went to a crossing in Saphan Mai - another area of Bangkok - where the previous night a pedestrian and a motorcyclist were seiously injured.

It was business as usual in daylight despite there being plenty of signage, warning signs and flashing lights. There was even a red flag for pedestrians to use. 

Motorclyclist were ignoring traders and members of the public crossing to entrance 2 at the Yingcharoen Market as reporters watched. 

The media said some had to run for their lives as the lawless riders did as they pleased.

They quoted one local who blamed two wheel riders mostly. She said that she was forced to run when using the crossing. Hardly anyone  stopped and she usually waited until there was a crowd before trying to cross. 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Earlier the same media Siam Rath had a report of the accident at the crossing where two people were injured. One was a 48 year old rider, another a 35 year old pedestrian. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It improved for a week or so, now it's back to normal.

I went to stop yesterday and the cars on either side overtook me and shot through it and the car behind me came up to about 12 inches off my rear tyre so I just kept going in the end.

Yesterday i was behind a taxi that all of a sudden stopped at rama4, it was a pedestrian crossing a zebra crossing that made him stop. So it is happening, i had not seen the pedestrian, thankfully i kept my distance from the taxi (as one should). But when you got cars on all lanes it can be hard to see pedestrians in the distance. 

But at least someone stopped and others did so too, though a traffic light might have made things easier. These are easier to spot from a distance as they are above the road and especially when its busy you often can't see much because of sight is blocked by all kind of bigger cars. 

• Like 2

Not Zebra crossing related but yesterday I was visiting a small Udon Thani town, near the market so it was busy. About 10 motorcycles were all across the road in one direction. An ambulance came speeding up behind them, lights flashing.

I was very impressed when every single one of those bikes moved over to the left to let it through.

It was sort-of spoiled when we were driving home. Again a bike on a fairly busy two-lane road used by cane trucks; the passenger was holding a plank of wood, maybe 4 metres long, widthwise across the bike so that it stuck out about 1.5 metres each side. Very difficult to see as it was a black plank and didn't show-up well against the road. I wondered whether they made it home in one piece.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yesterday i was behind a taxi that all of a sudden stopped at rama4, it was a pedestrian crossing a zebra crossing that made him stop. So it is happening, i had not seen the pedestrian, thankfully i kept my distance from the taxi (as one should). But when you got cars on all lanes it can be hard to see pedestrians in the distance. 

But at least someone stopped and others did so too, though a traffic light might have made things easier. These are easier to spot from a distance as they are above the road and especially when its busy you often can't see much because of sight is blocked by all kind of bigger cars. 

That's an important point Rob.  Some motorists will be caught unaware by the vehicle in front actually, and there will be shunts.  It nearly happened to me once when I was riding pillion on a friend's bike (a Dutchman too incidentally).  Also, just one person stopping can be confusing and dangerous for the pedestrian.  The lesson for me, is that the rule needs to be vigorously imposed or not at all.  

• Like 1

In every other country were littering has reduced, drink driving has reduced, speeding has reduced, accidents have reduced, pedestrian/whicle accidents have decreased, etc, etc three things were vital. A) a massive and culturally aware but direct media campaign and B) Policing and C) a receptive public. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I've started holding my arm straight out when a bike comes at me on the sidewalk; this will probably lead to mayhem if I keep it up. Also giving the finger to cars lately, waiting for one to get out and fight.

Please, get your friends take a video, your insurance company may want a copy when your relatives/loved one's make a claim. 

33 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It hurts me to see Thailand's road death toll, so many beautiful Thai's killed needlessly, everyday. 

It's so easy to fix.

Police please do your job. 

Yes i can agree in part,however,pulling out of a side street without looking at all can not be blamed

on other road users.In many cases people die because of their own stupidity.

Change will start when people are starting to take responsibility for their own actions.

Man in the mirror!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Yes i can agree in part,however,pulling out of a side street without looking at all can not be blamed

on other road users.In many cases people die because of their own stupidity.

Change will start when people are starting to take responsibility for their own actions.

Man in the mirror!

Only thing which might change something is:

proper police enforcement,

heavy fines,

3x same offence and off goes your vehicle.

Need to install sizable speed bumps across full width of road (and yes, adjoining sidewalks), about 5 meters before frequently used cross walks;  correctly sized to seriously damage shocks, wheels and/or suspensions on cars and to throw Somchai 10 meters over the handle bars on bikes if taken with speed. No problem with driver education, police enforcement and the like. Problem solved.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It was business as usual in daylight despite there being plenty of signage, warning signs and flashing lights. There was even a red flag for pedestrians to use. 

Should one shout "OLE" as one crosses with the flag?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I've ben watching this, especially 2 painted/signed crossing points on Ram. Rd., for years.

I don't agree it's mostly motorcyclists at fault, in my experience all types of vehicles equally don't stop. 

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Nobody wanting to cross - stupid system really, unfortunately.

What brought my attention to it was shouting. A foreign man had activated the light and vehicles were not stopping for him as he tried to cross. He was shouting at the cars and bikes and he did not appear drunk. That's why I filmed it.

My home state of Massachusetts was much like Thailand when I first began to drive in the 1960s & '70s.  Crosswalks were routinely ignored. A pedestrian would attempt to cross a road and cars would just weave around them.

I well remember when I took a road trip to the SouthWest, being shocked that cars would come to a stop the moment you stepped off the curb onto a roadway...and if you did it out of a crosswalk, they'd let you know it.

Sometime in the 80s, after a few well publicized pedestrian accidents, Massachusetts finally began to strictly enforce crosswalk rules but it wasn't until they began placing plastic orange barrels in crosswalks, adorned with signs threatening $200 fines and police actively ticketing violators that crosswalk culture began to slowly change.  Vehicles finally started stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks and it has continued for the most part.

It wasn't an easy or quick change.  It took a strong public information campaign and strict enforcement that didn't ease-off to make it work.