Danish couple quit their jobs and now lives as digital nomads in Thailand

webfact

11 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Most digital nomads keep it on the quiet what they do as there is always the fear of authorities making an issue of their working without a proper visa and tax.  

I understand, just cant reconcile how being a you tube vlogger is ' on the quiet' to me its the opposite, anyway enough said. over and out.

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Spoken like a true Boomer.

Work/life balance is a HUGE thing now, with forward thinking employers embracing the concept. I currently have 10 people working remotely (and plan on hiring another 10 soon). Some are part-time, some also have a second job but all are working from home. Technology today means all you need is a laptop and a mobile phone and you can conduct large swathes of business from anywhere you choose. This couple are obviously tech orientated so why not sit on a beach rather than a freezing cold Danish town?

Monday to Friday 9- 5 is rapidly becoming a concept of the past; the future is work when you want and where you want and as long as the job gets done, what does it matter? 

Yes, I guess that kind of job is just hunky-dory as long as you are not a trucker.  Can't imagine the trucker's job being farmed out to Thailand any time soon, but I do hear that driverless trucks are being developed....

Edited by blazes

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

Yes, I guess that kind of job is just hunky-dory as long as you are not a trucker.  Can't imagine the trucker's job being farmed out to Thailand any time soon, or I do hear that driverless trucks are being developed....

It could be, if the trucks are controlled remotely?

21 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Do they have to have a Work Visa to do their online work while living in Thailand? ????

And do where do they have to report their income, Thailand or Denmark? ????

Must be a slow news day. Good for them. "Thailand" does not care where you think you are tax resident that is between you and your country. Thai law is silent on mobile work paid elsewhere for foreign clients,  they might not owe income tax anywhere. This has been hashed out over and over again. There is now way to police typing on a laptop all day. 

Maybe that is why some Thailand authorities  seem to not want digital pikeys living as tourists, fake volunteers and insincere language students  permanently and never paying income tax. At the same time other organs of the state appear to encourage it. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Ok, so you don't like 'Boomer'. How about Captain Obvious instead?

Obviously 'plumbers, builders, refuse collectors, fishermen' can't be done remotely. That would be silly now wouldn't it? We are only talking about jobs that can be done remotely. But if that job only requires a good internet connection, project management abilities and your professional skills, then remote working is a VERY viable solution and offers a win-win for both employee and employer.

Oh, and employers have been able to 'outsource to a cheaper supplier' for decades now (see India for a good example) but remote working is different and covers the nuances of having someone who perhaps speaks a particular language (Danish in this case) or has a particular skillset or has familiarity with a particular project/client. It's here and isn't going away and I for one wholeheartedly support it.    

Correct in so many ways. Commercial property is in the pits as employers are seeing the benefits of not maintaining thousands of feet of prime office space in costly cities.  There is a debate whether or  not  business travel excesses will ever return to what they were? I used to be able to live where I want but the pandemic put an end to that as we still need to commute to the US to meet a plane. I'd rather do that by remote control too and I think co-pilots will be virtual from a control center in the refuture in some country. It is certainly technically feasible. Don't think they would be working from home for various reasons. In the long term AI and robotics will replace the builders, plumbers and fisherman too. 

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Hope they've got work permits. They will be easy pickings for Immigration police after publicising their names. 

Yeah, hunt them down and deport them! Would be great publicity for Thailand. As if the country is not suffering enough already.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Yeah think he should go and have a shave and trim as well.

Suppose thats the difference about turning up for work, he can be scruffy at home....no boss to tell him to smarten himself up.

It always makes me chuckle with these sort of threads which are like cat-nip to wannabe Immigration Officers !!!... 

.... Online work has long been accepted in Thailand... 

Some people really need to wake up and drop the stupid “if you paint your own fence you are taking a job away from a Thai”  mentality.... 

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Hope they've got work permits. They will be easy pickings for Immigration police after publicising their names. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:
  • E.g. 'I quickly found:
  •  - Expected output was not fully satisfactory and
  •  - That I needed to spend more time supervising / pushing the remote digital nomads than I wanted to.
  •  - Outputs/submissions from the digital nomads contained very litte/zero innovations or creativity  and when this point was raided the digital nomads mostly commented 'not my job'.
  •  - Trying to get all the digital nomads together in the same room for a six monthly (?) review was a nightmare and not productive.
  •  - At the request of one then several digital nomads to conduct the six monthly review by zoom or skype was also unproductive - in fact a waste of time.

I totally agree with every single word, had the very same experience managing several remote workers and even a few living on the very same island in Thailand. And being a kind of such remote worker myself I could confirm that it is extremely difficult to work productively from home, it's just a very different atmosphere compared to the office.

So if you want your project to succeed - you should rent an office and collect your "digital nomads" there, for a usual 5/2 schedule.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

In a circumstance like this I would not give a contract to a solutions company who do all their internal work by using remote digital nomads. 

+