Does anyone on here over 50 or 60 enjoy that noise ( supposedly music ) that young people like?

thaibeachlovers

To be clear, I wasn't referring to trance or any "atmospheric" music, but to that electronic noise with a heavy bass beat that goes through everything, even max ear defenders and earplugs worn together. I don't even call it music because one can't dance to it. I suspect it's a favourite of people doing illegal drugs, of which there are many where I live.

PS. I know what Trance is and quite like it, but I have no idea what "house" music is. There seems to be so many different labels now that I can't keep up with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Relax!

You don't have to listen to the radio.

At home I hear the music which I like and when I go out then I chose a place with good music. It might happen that I pick a place with music which I don't like and then I move on.

Some modern music is not too bad. I.e. I like this one:

I predominantly listen to Thai music now. Not Mawlum or the over the top power ballad stuff. A lot of really tasty Jazz and fusion stuff....well crafted pop. Some very creative and talented musicians here. Reminds me of Australia back in the 80's everything was new. Production quality excellent too. May not understand a lot of the lyrics but very very nice music. I actually like many Thai movies too. Cinematography and mood often amazing. Some really interesting off beat stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't even enjoy half the stuff I own & use to listen to.  Surprised I liked it, and wonder where my head was back then when I did.  Some of it is timeless, and I still love it, but some, yikes, what was I thinking.

I rarely listen to music anymore, and if do, it's instrumental as simply background music.  Daughter has some good taste, and plays some nice stuff when in the car, bluetooth through the radio from her phone, so there is some good stuff out there.  I can't be bothered though.  Silence is golden, seems to fit me more.  I'd rather hear the birds chirping or the rolling waves.  One option I don't need to pay extra for when car shopping, an upgraded in media / sound system.   Unless daughter is in the car, rare, it stays off.

• Confused 1

One thing that has been going on forever is that young people prefer music that older folks hate.  The more the old fogies hate it, the more the young love it.  If the older generation were found to like a particular style of music that the young follow, the young folks would probably abandon it post haste and find something else that the oldies are repelled by.  

So OP, in case you're not clear, young people would very much prefer that you hate their music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am def not enjoying and really hating all r&b , hiphop and similar . I really cant stand it , and i will leave any place playing it as soon as they play it . Im fine with anything else to a degree , but any kind of that kind of music , is a big nono for me .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like some music from every era, and dislike some music from every era.  Good music is good music, no matter when it was made, and conversely, I can think of many bad songs from the 60's and 70's, which some think of as the holy era of music making.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

Yes, I am 58 and like trance and electronic house music, which I suppose are more of a "young person" thing.  Started liking it in in my early 30s and never stopped.  It's energizing and uplifting, I've found that it's an excellent accompaniment to caffeine for regaining alertness when I start to feel tired on a long drive. 

I'm 54 and find EDM uplifting. in 2018 went to 808 festival in Rama 9 Bangkok, thought I'd be out of place at my age but no, there was a broad range of ages and had a great time. Took a Thai 34yr old lady with me and I definitely enjoyed the music more. Armin Van Buuren was the headliner. Amazing! Not to everyone's taste but I detest heavy metal that others on here might like. Everyone's different. It's not just an age thing.    

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm 54 and find EDM uplifting. in 2018 went to 808 festival in Rama 9 Bangkok, thought I'd be out of place at my age but no, there was a broad range of ages and had a great time. Took a Thai 34yr old lady with me and I definitely enjoyed the music more. Armin Van Buuren was the headliner. Amazing! Not to everyone's taste but I detest heavy metal that others on here might like. Everyone's different. It's not just an age thing.    

Yep, seeing Armin Van Buuren perform live is one of my bucket list items.  Haven't been to a major concert in quite a while, but in the 1980s saw bands like Toto, Journey, Pat Benatar, Cheap Trick, Heart (twice), Adam Ant (not proud of that one) Hall & Oates (not proud of that one either) and some others.  

does 48 years old count?

I'm not a "mélomane" (music lover) but I enjoy music from all ages and directions.

When driving a car on the highway I like cheap technodance / EDM / commercial junk songs. Great for household chores too.

I also listen to classical (Bach, Beethoven, Strauss, Händel, Pachelbel, Ravel, Albinoni, Mozart, Wagner ... ), AND death metal, j-pop, k-pop, girlgroups, jazz, rock, and anything else that would just classify as "pop".

I don't like guitar, male singers and accordions, and unmelodic music like most of rap.

I like it melodic, rythmic, upbeat, energizing, entransing, sexy.

If the music does not possess at least two of the preceding, I won't like it.

Edited by tgw

I prefer music of any genre created by people with real vocal and instrumental skills.

Listening to music from 2 or more decades ago, before the advent of auto-tune, I'm amazed at the vocal accuracy some bands had. These days, there's so much reliance on studio and production tricks like auto-tune and others. It's taken to extreme in some newer genres - I'm reminded of the rental house next door that catered to French and Algerians vacationers. They'd crank up this music than can only be described as "pop goes the weasel" played on a cheap synthesizer through multiple effects, and having vocals so highly modulated the singer could be a full step off-key and you'd never know it. I don't think any measure of actual talent was involved.

Edited by DrDave
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, sezze said:

I am def not enjoying and really hating all r&b , hiphop and similar . I really cant stand it , and i will leave any place playing it as soon as they play it . Im fine with anything else to a degree , but any kind of that kind of music , is a big nono for me .

It's good that you recognize that R&B and rap are not the same.  But did you know that some of the most influential rock artists were themselves heavily influenced by R&B?  I'm talking Elvis, the Stones, Eric Clapton, the Who...even Led Zeppelin.  I suppose you don't like these guys either.    

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It's good that you recognize that R&B and rap are not the same.  But did you know that some of the most influential rock artists were themselves heavily influenced by R&B?  I'm talking Elvis, the Stones, Eric Clapton, the Who...even Led Zeppelin.  I suppose you don't like these guys either.    

I highly doubt that Elvis or Stones was influenced by Beyonce and similar <deleted> artists . They were prob influenced by Rhythm & Blues , but that style does not have much in common with the previous artist mentioned . Even if it was ( which is like i said highly unlikely , unless they were time travelers ) whatever somebody is influenced from , does not make me like it . The influences of classical music are everywhere , but yet , many people do not like classical . 

Anyway , it is my choice and my hearing , and if i do not like i do not like , no matter what anybody else thinks .

BTW i can enjoy classical music , rock ( from classic rock over to metal and even lot harder types ) , some dance including hardcore ( Angerfist ) and many other kinds of music .

There are many things open for discussion , but taste is not 1 of them .

• Confused 1