Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Mistakes on both sides have been made in history. 

It seems nothing is learn from them. 

The majority of people in the world now I believe want peace and just get on with their lives. 

Maybe there could be an end of the world or hopefully everyone listens to imagine by John Lennon.

The only relation people have to war is from the sofa through tv or playing wargames on computer.

Most people is so far distant from what it takes and how much damage it does for generations long time after peace have been made.

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

I’m getting dizzy with reading your posts, yesterday you were adamant that NATO should send planes to help Ukraine fight. Today you want them to surrender. Can’t wait for tomorrows u turn.

Well either one will be better than the situation continuing as it is at the moment. 

Things are getting worse by day in Ukraine and there needs to be and end to it one way or the other. 

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The only relation people have to war is from the sofa through tv or playing wargames on computer.

Most people is so far distant from what it takes and how much damage it does for generations long time after peace have been made.

Not sure what you mean,  since the end of WW2 they call it the long peace but look at history

e.g. 20 years in Afganistan.

I remember as a kid after ww2 when my Dad come back how relatively poor we were and how long it took to get to a reasonable living standard. 

Myself have only had a brief encounter with the PLO in Qatar. 

I not good at taking orders I could only be conscripted into a service in a war.  

All I can say in a war situation I would get my family to safety far away asap. 

I cannot imagine how the Ukrainian people fleeing are feeling I hope I never will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you mean,  since the end of WW2 they call it the long peace but look at history

e.g. 20 years in Afganistan.

I remember as a kid after ww2 when my Dad come back how relatively poor we were and how long it took to get to a reasonable living standard. 

Myself have only had a brief encounter with the PLO in Qatar. 

I not good at taking orders I could only be conscripted into a service in a war.  

All I can say in a war situation I would get my family to safety far away asap. 

I cannot imagine how the Ukrainian people fleeing are feeling I hope I never will.

The longest peace in Europe I guess they refer to in modern history. I'm not sure there have been so long peace in Europe since year 800, if you look away from Eastern Europe former Soviet countries.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well either one will be better than the situation continuing as it is at the moment. 

Things are getting worse by day in Ukraine and there needs to be and end to it one way or the other. 

They are getting worse by the day for the what has proved to be weak Russian forces, in the 12 days of war they have lost 52 fighter jets and 69 helicopters plus thousands of troops including commanders. 

The Ukraine civilian casualties are the major concern, those that want to get out and escape the conflict. He has a duty to stop targeting them and the urban areas along with providing refugee routes for them to safely leave. He is a cold and calculated murderer with little regard for life.

I go with your suggestion yesterday, send the planes now. They are onto to it I know and yes it could be quicker.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

The quickest solution to peace would be take Biden out of the equation and have Zelenskyy and Putin deal direct with the EU leaders.

Putin would need to have a bigger table made first, at least 50 meters long with him at one end and the EU leaders cramped at the other with loud hailers

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

They are getting worse by the day for the what has proved to be weak Russian forces, in the 12 days of war they have lost 52 fighter jets and 69 helicopters plus thousands of troops including commanders. 

Where do you get these numbers from. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

If they continue like this, then the war will be finished by the next two weeks.

Wondering if there is any official verified count you can trust.

Well Bellingcat geo locate all the hits but official source?

15 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Well Bellingcat geo locate all the hits but official source?

Seems like some kind of official verification here on aircrafts.

Verified casualties and shot down aircrafts is hard to find. Often propaganda how many they claim off different reasons. Russia want as few as possible on both sides, while Ukraine want as many Russians as possible to keep the moral high. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_losses_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I don't do them,more a mix of BBC,Aljazeera and Fox news.

Just over 400 civilians killed and refugee numbers but nothing more.

You can probably assume that I do not follow them either hence why I said for you to visit them if you were so interested.

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Seems like some kind of official verification here on aircrafts.

Verified casualties and shot down aircrafts is hard to find. Often propaganda how many they claim off different reasons. Russia want as few as possible on both sides, while Ukraine want as many Russians as possible to keep the moral high. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_losses_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

Well it depends what you call official, the Ukrainian airforce updates on their Facebook page and it’s feeder into the media channel link I gave you, while there will be propaganda on both sides it’s the only as near official as we have, sorry wiki as not official in anyway shape or form in an ongoing war. If you really want to dig in then follow Bellingcat rather than wiki

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

And what do you think would happen? I'm curious what other people think.

When It comes to USA who have never been invaded except from Immigrants, I'm curious what they believe would have happened, and what their government would had done. All countries in Europe capulated when Germany invaded, except England who was not invaded. It is a natural thing to do to save civilians when you get invaded by a overwhelmed force.

Norway also have critical offshore  oil producing infrastructure, so not only thinking of civilians, also environmental damage. 

You said you cannot answer the question then gave your own answer of "I know both governments would have fled the country, and I guess they would have capulated copulated capitulated quite fast at once their government was safe" in the next sentence! 

If Russia goes for Sweden and Finland I think that's enough for NATO to go to war with Putin, as Norway would be immediately and unavoidably threatened by this, geographically. 

I didn't realize you were such a greenie.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You said you cannot answer the question then gave your own answer of "I know both governments would have fled the country, and I guess they would have capulated copulated capitulated quite fast at once their government was safe" in the next sentence! 

If Russia goes for Sweden and Finland I think that's enough for NATO to go to war with Putin, as Norway would be immediately and unavoidably threatened by this, geographically. 

I didn't realize you were such a greenie.

Seems you had the answer then, and you know Nato would intervene if Sweden or Finland was attacked and or invaded. 

I Norway was attacked and invaded, it is a big difference between attacked and being invaded. 

And for your information and you are right, my personal opinion and my best guess after I say it is a difficult and impossible question.  You are a genious to point that out after i wrote it ????

Even repeat what I said about if Norway being attacked. 

My experience when I was in the army, was that our mission was to delay a Soviet invation in 1988, not stop it. After that it would be a Nato war. 

Thank you for editing my english writing errors. 

• Like 1

Seems like the long column could run into some trouble now the forecast says -20 Celsius and the cold now could be a help instead of a problem for the Ukrainians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-kyiv-convoy-putin-1685806%3famp=1

The cold could still be a problematic issue for the civilians left in the surrounded towns without heat or food, and other places the frozen ground could mean easier access , but if that column surrenders it's a huge kick in the nuts for Putin and could be a turning point.

Fingers crossed those Russians surrender.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Virt said:

Seems like the long column could run into some trouble now the forecast says -20 Celsius and the cold now could be a help instead of a problem for the Ukrainians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-kyiv-convoy-putin-1685806%3famp=1

The cold could still be a problematic issue for the civilians left in the surrounded towns without heat or food, and other places the frozen ground could mean easier access , but if that column surrenders it's a huge kick in the nuts for Putin and could be a turning point.

I'm afraid this war will kick into a 2nd phase when the mercenaries arrive for both sides.

4 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I'm afraid this war will kick into a 2nd phase when the mercenaries arrive for both sides.

Let's hope it end soon.

We don't need more dead people on both sides.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Seems you had the answer then, and you know Nato would intervene if Sweden or Finland was attacked and or invaded. 

I Norway was attacked and invaded, it is a big difference between attacked and being invaded. 

And for your information and you are right, my personal opinion and my best guess after I say it is a difficult and impossible question.  You are a genious to point that out after i wrote it ????

Even repeat what I said about if Norway being attacked. 

My experience when I was in the army, was that our mission was to delay a Soviet invation in 1988, not stop it. After that it would be a Nato war. 

Thank you for editing my english writing errors. 

You asked me what I thought so I replied. My opinion is not necessarily the correct "answer".

• Like 1

Always nice to share some positive news. Vitaly Gerasimov & Sergey Chipilyov two of Russia's top generals have been killed in Ukraine within days of each other.

News.com.au

Top Russian general killed by Ukrainian sniper in major blow for Putin

One of Vladimir Putin’s most senior paratroopers was gunned down by a “sniper” during a special operation in Ukraine.

The Guardian

Vitaly Gerasimov: second Russian general killed, Ukraine defence ministry claims

Ukrainian intelligence says major general in Russia’s 41st army died outside Kharkiv along with other senior officers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Virt said:

The Russians finding it cold are you serious.

• Haha 1