Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

11 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

With all the travel restrictions and hoop jumping to get through, it's unlikely there are many Russians or Ukrainians in or about to travel to Thailand anyway, However a more interesting question might be, How much Russian currency is Thailand holding in foreign reserves now that the Russian currency is all but useless?? which brings back a thought of years ago, when it was not known as Rubels but "RUBBLES" 

Just a Question to ponder for the illustrious P.M. and his Hub of finance. 

What made you think that Thailand holds RR in reserve?????

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A reasonable idea, but, how would they get there bearing in mind that they have little cash money. I can't think of many airlines flying in and out or Russia and I don' think that many Russian aircraft have the range to fly from Russia to Bangkok and back without refueling. On landing in any foreign country the crew have to be rotated, landing and parking fees to be paid plus of course refueling the aircraft. Then the crew will need a hotel and food unless there are 2 crews so that 1 crew can fly the outbound leg to BKK and the 2nd crew can fly it back to Russia.

That still leaves the aircraft fees which will have to be paid for in real hard currency. In the Gods we trust, all others pay cash (and not Rubles).

Pre pandemic, virtually daily direct flights from all of the major Russian cities to Phuket including those furthest away such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg.   Looking at todays arrivals and departures (Phuket), I can only see Irkutsk and Vladivostok.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

I do not think that all Russian citizens should be condemned for their government leaders actions.  Their leaders are not exactly chosen by a free and open democratic election system.  A few years ago (4 or 5) my wife and I happened to be on a SCUBA diving trip that included five Russian divers.  It was on a liveaboard trip where we were together for six days.  What I can say is that they were very pleasant people to be around and we had some very interesting and enlightening conversations in English in the evenings after the days diving was done.  Granted, this group may not have been from the same economic class of Russians that visit locations such as Pattaya and Phuket for a few days of activities but we thoroughly enjoyed their company and would welcome another trip with them.

Indeed. I abhor the rude crass behaviour of SOME of the Russians in Pattaya, especially on Baht buses etc, but here in UK I know and have worked with some very friendly and highly intelligent Russian people. The ones i met here, were great fun to be with too.

I could make similar comments (good and bad) about my fellow Brits....and Americans...and...and.....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

And the low exchange rate of the Russian ruble, also very helpfull.

Yes, and 

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

Their accounts were blocked, whether cc or by bank transfers. 
Also they cant use anymore insurance bought at their countries. 
They were coming before war in large quantities, also by travel agencies charter flights. Especially recent months, when conflict escalated. 
still, they might be coming from the third countries in europe, where they escaped over the land borders. 
They dont need visa to thailand. Possibly they might claim an asylum, if run out of visa extension problems. 
there is a large trade between thailand and russia, ukraine - that includes also armaments to thailand. But it's mostly export from thailand. Agricultural products, especially winter time. 
with all different sanctions and blocks thailand will have to find new ways of trading

I don't suppose Thailand banned any Russian banks! Not in their financial interest -- and b - - - -r any moral interest!

I see even the greedy Swiss financial institutions are 'considering' freezing Russian bank accounts!

Many on this site are criticising the Russian people for the Ukranian invasion. I don't suppose many educated Russians support Putin's actions. Repressive states: Russia, China, Belarus, Thailand, Burma feed their public political propaganda and give them no choice in their countries actions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

A reasonable idea, but, how would they get there bearing in mind that they have little cash money. I can't think of many airlines flying in and out or Russia and I don' think that many Russian aircraft have the range to fly from Russia to Bangkok and back without refueling.

The Russians just started a new service this week. I presume all these Russian tourists had a round trip ticket. Isn't that part of the Thai Pass, unless Thailand is giving Russians a special deal? So return home is paid for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

With all the travel restrictions and hoop jumping to get through, it's unlikely there are many Russians or Ukrainians in or about to travel to Thailand anyway, However a more interesting question might be, How much Russian currency is Thailand holding in foreign reserves now that the Russian currency is all but useless?? which brings back a thought of years ago, when it was not known as Rubels but "RUBBLES" 

Just a Question to ponder for the illustrious P.M. and his Hub of finance. 

My guess would be little to none of Thailand's foreign currency reserves are in Russian rubles...most likely mostly in the big four ($ € £ ¥ and some yuan).

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The neo-nazi slur is used by the Russians because they remember what happened in World War II.

Kyiv surrendered without firing a shot, most of Ukraine greeted the advancing Germans as liberators.

That was because the Ukrainian memory went even further back, to the Holomodor, which was effectively genocide by mass starvation, ordered by Stalin.

It didn't take long for the Ukrainians to realize they had swapped the left jackboot for a right jackboot, but it's still a handy brush for the Russians to tar Ukrainians with.

History might have been very different if the Germans had recognized the value of treating a country who welcomes you well.

Unfortunately what you said is true and the bunch of hypocrites here they may attack you 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Not sure all Russian’s support this madman. Putin demands their support with threats of imprisonment or worse. Perhaps they come to Thailand seeking a reprieve from this nutter. 

"Putin demands their support with threats of imprisonment........."

Substitute "Prayut" for "Putin" and there's not much difference - the main one being that here they are "farangs", and will make no difference at all to the political situation here.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Putin has been a hero to the majority of Russians for many years, as a fairly tribal culture Russians have always respected strong leaders. So yes, they are partly responsible for the current mess. Granted, they are not responsible for Putin losing the plot.

I could partially agree with you if I believed that the will of the Russian people had anything at all to do with placing Putin in power.

To your point however I do and have placed blame on the American people for what happened in 2016. I fault those that voted for the deeply flawed man as well as those that didn't bother to vote against him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, puck2 said:

If that would be right, what you are pretending, then please tell and explain to me/us, why Germany had to pay a lot for all the crimes Hitler had done before and during WW II. 

The same should happen to Russia. I'm sure, a lot of Russians dislike their dictator Purtin, the same what happened in Germany with Hitler. But both dictators, Hitler and Putin, both have been the official represantives of their country.

Therefore it's correct to pay for "the damage" they have caused. This result is very sad for the normal Russian people with a good heart and a healthy brain. It's an unwanted result of belonging to this country, but you have to tolerate the consequences of an ugly and bad leadership.

I wasn't alive at the end of WWII and had no part of the retribution.

In any event that was then and this is now. I reserve the right to change my behavior if I believe that I or my forefathers did the wrong thing in the past. We are not bound to the past.

We all have the right to treat individuals as we choose without implementing policies advocated by our governments.  I'll disregard your "official representative" comment as it's irrelevant and a deflection from my statements.

Free your mind.

• Like 2

and things are not getting any better for them

Putin signs decree to prohibit leaving Russia with more than $10,000 in foreign currency 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/putin-signs-decree-to-prohibit-leaving-russia-with-more-than-10-000-in-foreign-currency-01646176225?siteid=yhoof2

The move comes in response to the sanctions the U.S. and allies have imposed on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, which this week tanked the ruble and sent Russians flocking to banks and ATMs

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday signed a decree that prohibits taking more than $10,000 worth of foreign currency in cash and “monetary instruments” out of Russia.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

Am I missing something here, who invaded who. Do not deflect responsibility. Putin ordered the invasion of the Ukraine a legal and recognized country. Yes there are policies on both sides that should have been handled different but invasion is invasion. Ukraine was not a military threat to Russia.

I'm not so sure about that last statement as what Putin has forgotten is that in the good old USSR days the Ukrainians were his best troops and no disrespect to the Ukrainians who are turning out to be robust, calm and unfaltering but the way the Russians are performing a 9 year old with a catapult could be a military threat to Russia.