Plugin or take to the bike as fuel prices soar

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

I drive a Ford Fiesta which takes E20 and normally to fill up (normally with a quarter of the tank still with petrol) I would pay around THB790. Today it is costing THB1,300.

How long ago were you paying 790?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Electric costs may lag, but they'll go up because most (65% +/-) of Thailand's electricity is fired from natural gas.

If you think you're going to beat the high price of oil/gas with an electric car, you'll be sorely disappointed. 

Unless you can steal power from the local grid or your rich neighbor.  In that case, go for it.

The Thai Government is borrowing money to subsidize the cost of diesel . 

I ask the question if that will apply to the cost of electricity ?

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

The Thai Government is borrowing money to subsidize the cost of diesel . 

I ask the question if that will apply to the cost of electricity ?

If you do the math, they're not subsidizing diesel.  They're just reducing the tax load on diesel compared to gasoline, for the benefit of commercial and farm users.  With normal folks driving diesel private vehicles benefiting as an unintended consequence.

There is no excess tax on electricity to reduce, so it would have to be a genuine subsidy.  I don't see it happening.  But I could be wrong.  It happens.

Edit:  Not to mention that electric farm and commercial vehicles may be years and years in the future.  Aside from buses and tuk-tuks.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sadly, the solar systems work best during the day when you really want to be out running the car.  At night when you want to charge it...  Not so much.  Of course, you can also add batteries to that "excess capacity", but ouch. 

Cha ching, cha ching.  Years and years to payout.

Yes, I grasp that.

Are any battery  systems in EVs removable? Motorcycles perhaps, so a spare could be charged, Harder than changing a spare wheel I expect. And a few rainy days would mean you are having to use utility power.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you do the math, they're not subsidizing diesel.  They're just reducing the tax load on diesel compared to gasoline, for the benefit of commercial and farm users.  With normal folks driving diesel private vehicles benefiting as an unintended consequence.

There is no excess tax on electricity to reduce, so it would have to be a genuine subsidy.  I don't see it happening.  But I could be wrong.  It happens.

Edit:  Not to mention that electric farm and commercial vehicles may be years and years in the future.  Aside from buses and tuk-tuks.

Thank you for your reply .

Reducing the tax on diesel is almost the same as borrowing money as the Thai Government are borrowing to meet there commitments . With less tax generated that they would of budgeted for will result in more borrowing .

They are also using a oil fund to subsidize the diesel price . Not only is it a reduction in tax on diesel . I am not sure where that oil fund money is coming from .

Electricity has a 7 percent value added tax applied . But large business would recover that i would assume .