Richard Barrow receives the British Empire Medal (BEM)

webfact

27 minutes ago, JoePai said:

I think you will find we do make (about 15%) of the new F35 plane

He probably doesn't know that when it comes to importing arms into the US, the UK is their biggest supplier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tom H said:

British Empire Medal?

GB has issues to fill up their supermarkets these days…

A medal for the proud with tears in the eyes thinking about the “Empire” some hundred years ago.

The Order of Saint Vladimir would be a far more appropriate British decoration nowadays...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tom H said:

He promotes Thailand for money? Flights, hotels paid etc.

I like his critical dual pricing issue but it has not changed anything really.

Politics?  Better not. Too much drama when he reniews his visa.

PM 2.5 matter? Good some years ago. 

Critical content? Good in general.

Immigration? Good first informations.

All in all I have an issue when a blogger receives benefits from people/institutions he reports. Marketing extension guy?

Well, he is more proud to receive these benefits than any other.

Narcism visible? Should look for a wife:)

Nevertheless FB is out, so I am less confronted with him:).

Good so.

Richard is married and with kids (as I recollect). But I don't remember seeing their families photos. For some reason, maybe just privacy 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Richard is married and with kids (as I recollect). But I don't remember seeing their families photos. For some reason, maybe just privacy 

I must admit I didn't know that!  He does a superb job of keeping that side of his life secret.  I'd always assumed he wasn't interested in women.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread is going to be interesting after midday once the ‘barstoolers’ wake up and see that an alternative information stream has been valued more than their ‘if you don’t like it go home’ rhetoric…

Congratulations RB… a good source a factual info. 

This legitimisation will make it more difficult for immigration and other authorities trying & stiff him when he takes on anti-dual-pricing issues and other issues which negatively impact foreigners living in Thailand. 

Doubt it, as BBC's Jonathan Head has far more kudos and country acumen than Richard Barrow and look how the Thai government treated him a while back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

Mouthpiece for the UK Gov.

Completely wrong.Richard was at the forefront of exposing the Embassy's sluggishness on this issue - though to be fair there was a marked improvement when a more energetic new Ambassador shook off most of the smug complacency.

The British Chamber and others helped save the day but the initial lack of practical concern for the plight of numerous old vulnerable British expatriates will not be easily forgotten.Defenders of the Embassy will say that it was constrained by UK Government policy.True enough but it misses the point completely.

For future guidance when there is a crisis affecting British expatriates, it isn't enough to extract bland assurances from the Thai government.It requires vigorous follow up

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree......  so many poisonous folk who are utterly useless to society simply can’t stand to see someone else making an effort to support the community in which they live. 

It baffles me that there are those who because they are unaware of the work he has carried out think he has not done anything - this mentality alone highlights how utterly stupid some people are, they have no idea they are both out of touch and dumb. 

Thank you for having the wisdom and grace to respect others whose opinion differs from your own. 

• Haha 1