Just tested positive- AAAAH! What next?

Hanaguma

hospital will move you to their hospitel. For 10 days.

Ask already now for medical certificate, an original of positive test.

You can start already travel insurance claim for rebooking flight or even for hospitel stay (very few insurance will cover, but check).

Not sure if asking for an additional pcr test will help. Depending on hospital policy, but not likely.

You can travel only 15 days after the first positive.

But if you are still positive after that time there might be no airline allowing you to board, even with recovery certificate.

as to amoxicillin for covid - not needed with very mild symptoms as you have. Keep antibiotics at hand, if sudden worsening

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

my wife and I are supposed to fly home to Japan on Thursday after our vacation here.

What are the requirements to fly to Japan?

Are you Japanese citizens? Carry Japanese passports?

All customers entering Japan, including customers of Japanese nationality, will not be allowed to land in Japan unless they submit a valid certificate of a negative COVID-19 test result. If you cannot confirm a valid certificate during the boarding procedure, we will refuse boarding according to the instructions of the Japanese government.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/coronavirus-travel-information/immigration/#restrictions_entry_into_japan

Looks like you need to sit and wait?

• Like 1

Hi, my wife is Japanese, I am a permanent resident on a lifetime visa.  Lived there for more than 20 years.  I am so tempted to get a "second opinion" test done at another clinic and see if it is still positive before deciding on anything. 

The hotel we are at now is not an official "hospitel" but it is an SHA Plus.  Told the front desk our situation at noon and they have not said or done anything.  We gonna get kicked out I wonder? 

• Like 2

you can enter japan minimum 14 days after positive test so you can use recovery certificate on arrival.

ask them tomorrow for, at least, medical certificate.

if you try to enter on the first negative certificate, you risk having positive and get another 14 days quarantine in japan

Edited by internationalism

all 3 friends went like this...home tested positive. sore throat, no temp, weak for 2 to 3 days. home test again on 3rd day...negative. then negative, negative. each was vaccinated with 2 shots. I think many get the virus and never know it. I have a riend who never tested. had the above systems and thought it was a cold. finally after 4 days they tested negative. 

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

hospital will move you to their hospitel. For 10 days.

Ask already now for medical certificate, an original of positive test.

You can start already travel insurance claim for rebooking flight or even for hospitel stay (very few insurance will cover, but check).

Not sure if asking for an additional pcr test will help. Depending on hospital policy, but not likely.

You can travel only 15 days after the first positive.

But if you are still positive after that time there might be no airline allowing you to board, even with recovery certificate.

as to amoxicillin for covid - not needed with very mild symptoms as you have. Keep antibiotics at hand, if sudden worsening

Antibiotics won't help against virus infections. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

...and now we are in a quarantine hospitel.

Whisked away in a van this evening at 700pm and deposited in the former Novotel on Soi 34.  Here to stay for anything from 3 to 10 days.... depends on whether we test negative on Day 3 or Day 5 or the staff wasn't too clear on it.  Sooner we can go home the better.

Hope it’s comfortable. 

Have you both been given a confirmation RT-PCR test?

Question: you mentioned that your initial positive test was a throat swab not a nasal test. That’s confusing. Was it a antigen test ( ATK / lateral flow test ) I.e. with an instant result on a strip, or, was it an RT-PCR test taken at a clinic or hospital with lab results returned much later ?

What are the costs of the Novotel Hospitel if you don’t mind me asking? And is your insurance covering the cost of isolation ?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

why did we  both test positive? It was a saliva based test, not nasal swab, and we both have been having a very minor cold (but no fever or any other covid-y symptoms) so maybe that threw off the test.

Minor cold symptoms are covid symptoms BTW - that’s omicron for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He mentioned PCR test in his opening post, then mentioned Saliva test in a follow up post, so, the info is not clear. 

This is not a money making scam as implied by you. If they are positive they need o isolate somewhere. Anyone else can isolate at home. 

Tourists don’t have a home to isolate in and thus need to isolate in a location where the staff are fully vaccinated, have full PPE and isolation protocols in place ( Hospitel ).  This may seem extreme for a mildly symptomatic omicron and perhaps could be reduced to simple isolation in an SHA Plus + hotel… the costs are likely to be similar.

Ralf001 - what would you do with tourists who have tested positive? 
they are unable to travel so have to stay somewhere ? 
a hotel of their choice ? Putting other guests and staff at risk ? 
what is the solution ?

I concur. But as I have said before for asymptomatic cases they just need to spell it out in detail and give options so tourists know what happens and what is the worst case. 

• Like 2