Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 11/10/2022 at 6:44 PM, Bandersnatch said:

As I have previously mentioned, the Toyota bZ4X had a problem with wheel nuts coming loose and all cars had to be recalled. I have now heard that the Toyota claimed WLTP range of 470km was independently tested at 307km

All the reviews I watched on YT were at best lukewarm on the Toyota (or Subaru twin), none of the testers outright recommended this EV. Of course it is a Toyota, the nameplate will still sell a bunch, negative press notwithstanding.

Edited by mistral53
sp
  • Like 1

Help required. Can someone inform me why Anyone would buy an EV in Thailand??? Reason for asking. I haven't seen any charging points. Also, who can fix one when they go wrong. I can see the point of cleaner air. But and it's a big BUT you can't travel any distance. They are a big problem in places like the USA also the UK. I can only think they would be less than useless in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

But and it's a big BUT you can't travel any distance.

Where oh where do you get these ideas from?

Someone will be along shortly with maps showing charging stations in Thailand. Or maybe, like me, they've had enough of this silly talk and won't bother.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, macahoom said:

maybe, like me, they've had enough of this silly talk and won't bother.

I just add them to my ignore list never to see their drivel again.

And now at 70 ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Help required. Can someone inform me why Anyone would buy an EV in Thailand??? Reason for asking. I haven't seen any charging points. Also, who can fix one when they go wrong. I can see the point of cleaner air. But and it's a big BUT you can't travel any distance. They are a big problem in places like the USA also the UK. I can only think they would be less than useless in Thailand. 

The charging network is improving all the time. The question is what the rates will do if EVs are widely adopted. My guess - rise to take up the slack in lost fuel tax.

Re: the maintenance - I have been wondering this myself. Looking at the established brands of ICE vehicles I see poor to non existent training and upgrading in any vehicle systems. The bare bones basics are covered - stuff I learned at 10 years old - oil changes, tire inflation, etc.

Computer diagnostics - might as well ask the dealerships about quantum physics, the answer will be the same.

As EVs, hybrids, etc have a LOT of computing power, it remains to be seen what will happen when they fail - and they WILL fail.

Send the control modules back to China for repair ? Doubt it.

My guess - tell the customer "You need a new one" - translation - we do not have a clue how to diagnose let alone repair the unit and will shoot it with the parts cannon until it works properly.

Was helping a guy recently - Honda CR-V - drivers window stuck down. Hondas solution - replace everything, motor, the window regulator, the tracks !!!

Came to me, I replaced the switch !

This is where all new vehicles are headed, and EVs will be more of the same

24 minutes ago, seedy said:

The question is what the rates will do if EVs are widely adopted. My guess - rise to take up the slack in lost fuel tax.

Maybe not so easy.

Worldwide, Governments rely on the income from vehicle fuel tax. EV sales will grow rapidly over the next few years and that fuel revenue will be gone. EV owners will have to be taxed to make up the shortfall. But how?

Sure, governments can tax the use of public chargers, but how is any government going to tax an EV owner for charging at home. Even more difficult: taxing those owners who charge using solar.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, macahoom said:

but how is any government going to tax an EV owner for charging at home. Even more difficult: taxing those owners who charge using solar.

They already pay a tax on their utility bill.  Already paid a sales tax.  Already paid the import tax or duty, or someone did and passed it on to the end customer.

How many times do we need to be taxed.   I personally wouldn't mind paying taxes, IF. they didn't waste them.  Road tax is fine, but how about using concrete instead of asphalt, that doesn't need yearly maintenance or resurfacing every couple years.

The excise taxes & VAT on cars (ICEs) already make up over 30% of the price tag, and that's cars made in TH.

On the 'rebate' thingy 2012ish, we got 100k 'excise tax' back on a 530k MSRP, and that included another 7% VAT, so basically 137k of the 530k price tag was taxes.

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

On the one hand, these questions have been addressed in many posts, on the other hand, I understand people not willing to read through two threads with 40 pages of posts. It is also not easy for them to decide which thread is more relevant to them, "Electrical Vehicles in Thailand" or "EV Owners - Real life experience", and they need some luck to find  relevant posts with a Google search.

I did a 2600 km road trip in Thailand lately  and charging was not a big issue. However, a backcountry road trip through the North East or West of Thailand would still need to be carefully planned. The same is true for other parts of the world, if you travel longer distances off the beaten path. E.g. I can not yet replicate a past motorcycle trip in Scotland (including Hebrides and Orkney) relying on public DC chargers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

EV owners will have to be taxed to make up the shortfall.

An alternate approach would be taxation to cause a change in behaviour. Raising the price of cigarettes reduces consumption, especially by the young and the poor, thereby improving public health and reducing socio-economic inequalities in smoking. That is one reason why governments around the world have raised taxes on tobacco products.

Increasing air pollution levels increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory infections. So increasing taxation on fossil fuels to fund a transition to cleaner fuels will result in lower government health expenditure.

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Come on @fredob43 this discussion on EVs in Thailand has over a thousand posts and you think you are the first one to suggest that there are not enough charging points in Thailand!

You can't be bothered to look though any previous posts yet you expect those of us who own EVs to answer the same question every couple of weeks!

The reason you haven't seen any charging points is you aren't looking for them. You don't have an app on your phone that show you where they are. 

As an EV owners I can confirm as a fact that there are more EV chargers in Thailand than there are EVs needing to charge.

1251130712_MGcharger.jpg.90eafab0e90b0f30b48e22381e96d8da.jpgPlugShare.thumb.jpg.08d14de6c44a10b2aa4b7fe3b588428f.jpg

Every 150km a charger, make that 166km+ :thumbsup:

No chargers from Nang Rong - Sa Kaeo which is 166km distance. There are most certain some areas where are chargers are lacking.

spacer.png

Edit: We always take this route when going to Chonburi, don't like the Korat mountain road even now it's 4 lane

Edited by MJCM

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

An alternate approach would be taxation to cause a change in behaviour. Raising the price of cigarettes reduces consumption, especially by the young and the poor, thereby improving public health and reducing socio-economic inequalities in smoking. That is one reason why governments around the world have raised taxes on tobacco products.

Increasing air pollution levels increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory infections. So increasing taxation on fossil fuels to fund a transition to cleaner fuels will result in lower government health expenditure.

increasing taxation on fossil fuels if it happens soon will be the death knell for the ev industry There isn't a single EV manufacturer that can claim that their vehicles have been built and transported without any fossil fuels

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

increasing taxation on fossil fuels if it happens soon will be the death knell for the ev industry There isn't a single EV manufacturer that can claim that their vehicles have been built and transported without any fossil fuels

I don't think any EV maker has claimed there are no fossil fuels used anywhere in the manufacture or transport, what a ridiculous thing to say.

If there is a net reduction in fossil fuel burning overall with a switch to EVs then things are better. No one is saying it's an overnight switch to zero.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

NETA S SPORT ELECTRIC POWER SEDAN RANGE 650-710 KM

It will be at the Bangkok

Motor Expo 2022 December

Anyone else going to be there?

3AB9F427-D2B7-459E-BD61-A4E3CBAC33B6.jpeg.f1bbea6dba33c6966fe9f2a6d6036f6e.jpeg6F9E6D91-81DF-4A31-85B4-97EEAB5D1DCE.jpeg.6fd1ffaa82135ae9c642c86665febe67.jpeg7EC7872C-C598-42C2-BC29-06C3696B5CB2.jpeg.01f7a4a939e78ff460b6ff74c3172e86.jpeg05A2DD0D-8731-4565-AAB7-027C8759F76B.jpeg.0f0a168d93d42a2ac97ddcf154b0b5b6.jpeg21CFDA73-9016-4E10-977A-064B76433638.jpeg.2b230c01ddb9a95738cf36384beeff17.jpeg

1E060E4D-6757-40D6-9F21-4CA928EF4747.jpeg.6fd3d00ce8d5689106e641b0a4c6a276.jpeg6DE96721-AF08-4386-9944-30AE434CDE45.jpeg.94ade4e6d1882f649e85c732cb5f5ba6.jpeg

Read more ????https://bit.ly/3E5clvO

I'm definitely going to go and have a look, it looks amazing.  800km range according to this article:

https://www.licarco.com/hozon-neta-s

I wonder how much it'll cost.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't think any EV maker has claimed there are no fossil fuels used anywhere in the manufacture or transport, what a ridiculous thing to say.

If there is a net reduction in fossil fuel burning overall with a switch to EVs then things are better. No one is saying it's an overnight switch to zero.

My point was if there was an increase on taxation on fossil fuels its unlikely that the EV manufacturer will absorb the extra costs they will simply pass the extra costs onto the end customer end result higher prices for ev vehicles

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Did you miss that I said: “increasing taxation on fossil fuels to fund a transition to cleaner fuels”

so how would it be a “death knell for the EV industry” if we are increasing subsidies for EV adoption?

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Did you miss that I said: “increasing taxation on fossil fuels to fund a transition to cleaner fuels”

so how would it be a “death knell for the EV industry” if we are increasing subsidies for EV adoption?

so if you have increasing taxation on fossil fuels that means additional costs  on each component require to assemble each vehicle. shipping  costs increases from country of manufacturer to selling destination and final transport costs from shipping port to dealership

17 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just checked your trip on PlugShare and you are correct 166km  - I will be writing to MG to complain about their advertising.

344914586_MGchargerupdated.jpg.c2a17a656af9b79b4302be5cc8ed721e.jpg

You can't trust anyone any more ...

... first Toyota ... and now MG ????

image.png.756acc2bdf1de1a2e29403d26b205859.png

Since I can't find any other ones in between ...

DISCLAIMER:  didn't look for, so probably none available ... 

image.png.b40163191a6b5ae84f7c8dcb93dc3441.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just checked your trip on PlugShare and you are correct 166km  - I will be writing to MG to complain about their advertising.

344914586_MGchargerupdated.jpg.c2a17a656af9b79b4302be5cc8ed721e.jpg

Wow, it's like Volkswagen Dieselgate scandal all over again.  Except electric. And miniscule.

MJCM will go down in history for this discovery!!

• Haha 2

On 11/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Come on @fredob43 this discussion on EVs in Thailand has over a thousand posts and you think you are the first one to suggest that there are not enough charging points in Thailand!

You can't be bothered to look though any previous posts yet you expect those of us who own EVs to answer the same question every couple of weeks!

The reason you haven't seen any charging points is you aren't looking for them. You don't have an app on your phone that show you where they are. 

As an EV owners I can confirm as a fact that there are more EV chargers in Thailand than there are EVs needing to charge.

1251130712_MGcharger.jpg.90eafab0e90b0f30b48e22381e96d8da.jpgPlugShare.thumb.jpg.08d14de6c44a10b2aa4b7fe3b588428f.jpg

My question was in two parts. First the lack of convenient chargers. Second who can service them if the electrics go wrong??? Reason for the second was, I asked in my local Big Toyota garage last week if they had any people who can service same. Reply NO. They send them to BKK. They did add that they Might be getting service people sometime in the future. Sorry but I still can't see any reason to buy one here.

In and around BKK I'll give you that. Also, maybe they are ok for local trips, but for long trips I'll stick to my Deisel.

EG last week I did a 1000km return trip. Filled up with Fuel took around 5 min: Then went on to complete the journey without a stop. Next question. How many times would you have to stop to do the same sort of journey also how long would it add to the time???   

19 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My question was in two parts. First the lack of convenient chargers. Second who can service them if the electrics go wrong??? Reason for the second was, I asked in my local Big Toyota garage last week if they had any people who can service same. Reply NO. They send them to BKK. They did add that they Might be getting service people sometime in the future. Sorry but I still can't see any reason to buy one here.

In and around BKK I'll give you that. Also, maybe they are ok for local trips, but for long trips I'll stick to my Deisel.

EG last week I did a 1000km return trip. Filled up with Fuel took around 5 min: Then went on to complete the journey without a stop. Next question. How many times would you have to stop to do the same sort of journey also how long would it add to the time???   

Toyota Thailand only launch their 1st BEV last week I doubt if anyone in the country has a Toyota electric car if you asked the same question in a MG,GWM that do sell electric cars

as to your other question on how many km your can do that depends on size or battery 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

MJCM will go down in history for this discovery!!

I was just checking some routes we regularly drive and was a bit surprised that on the whole route from Nang Rong -> Wattana Nakhon not one charger is available, many petrol stations (of course) but no chargers.

And if anyone has ever driven that route will know that it is sometimes a very low traffic route.

We personally won't drive that route during the night.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I was just checking some routes we regularly drive and was a bit surprised that on the whole route from Nang Rong -> Wattana Nakhon not one charger is available, many petrol stations (of course) but no chargers.

And if anyone has ever driven that route will know that it is sometimes a very low traffic route.

We personally won't drive that route during the night.

Any routes that follow an international border will automatically reduce the likelihood of finding a charger by 50%. Fortunately for you the trip is only 142 km  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Any routes that follow an international border will automatically reduce the likelihood of finding a charger by 50%.

Did not know that

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Fortunately for you the trip is only 142 km  

Then you still have Wattana Nakhon - Sa Kaeo as that is where the first charger is. MG garage ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1