Electric Vehicles in Thailand

16 minutes ago, transam said:

That reads a bit like a dodge to me. How about......

"Mums been taken ill, better get over there quick"

"Can't, not enough juice in the battery ".....????..or..

"Let's have a couple of day's at _______, car won't get that far, will have to do a bit of research on where we can stop for an hour to charge it up, how tiresome"...????

You can use the same excuses with ice vehicles, left lights on all night battery drained.

Many countries where petrol stations only operate 08:00-18:00 if your petrol station is in a remote area are you going to stay open 24/7 for the off chance of maybe 1 or 2 cars so you need to plan.

Ever been to a petrol station where all the pumps are closed because they are refilling the tanks I have many times

Petrol Stations across Lochaber

Lochaber is a remote and wild region. Petrol stations are few and far between. Plan your journey beforehand to ensure you are well topped up with petrol.

https://www.wildlochaber.com/travel/petrol-stations

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You can use the same excuses with ice vehicles, left lights on all night battery drained.

Many countries where petrol stations only operate 08:00-18:00 if your petrol station is in a remote area are you going to stay open 24/7 for the off chance of maybe 1 or 2 cars so you need to plan.

Ever been to a petrol station where all the pumps are closed because they are refilling the tanks I have many times

Petrol Stations across Lochaber

Lochaber is a remote and wild region. Petrol stations are few and far between. Plan your journey beforehand to ensure you are well topped up with petrol.

https://www.wildlochaber.com/travel/petrol-stations

How often have you left the car lights on, me, never...

In LOS we do have all night garages. We have a couple nearby.

I don't think most folk let the gas tank get near empty, plus a few litres gets you quite a way...

We are not in Scotland.

Never been to a gas station closed for refilling stock, but even if there was, there is probably another just up the road...????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, transam said:

How often have you left the car lights on, me, never...

In LOS we do have all night garages. We have a couple nearby.

I don't think most folk let the gas tank get near empty, plus a few litres gets you quite a way...

We are not in Scotland.

Never been to a gas station closed for refilling stock, but even if there was, there is probably another just up the road...????

Not every garage in Thailand is open 24hr and your travelling in the sticks sometimes you can go 20-30km without seeing a petrol station.

I myself normally refuel when guage is showing about 20% but I do know people that still drive when the fuel light is on and your trip is showing 2-3km left.

I know people that have had a flat battery in the morning in ICE vehicles

and yes if petrol station is refilling their tanks normally they close access to all the pumps

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Neta U pro 610 is being launch in December with extended battery 610km (NEDC) so you should get 700km easy with 1 stop to recharge

That's better but that's another hour back home if this can be charged in that time.

Still 2 hours of messing about.

I am sure in about 5 years I expect it will be much quicker

Still don't want to wait that long when I go on holiday I like to get there quickly .

At the moment these cars remind me of when I used to stop in different countries to save money rather than pay extra to get the direct flight.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

In case you do 700 km multiple times a month in Thailand, a BEV is not the right solution for you - a PHEV could fill the bill. If you do long trips a few times per year, it could be worth the hassle - mind you, few people drive 700 km in one shot, so taking a food/toilet break and recharge the battery is typically not a hindrance and might not add significantly to trip time.

I do at least 1 trip a month and probably have short stops of maybe 20 minutes max so the PHEV could work in the future

Not really wanting to wait for maybe an hour to charge fully but i understand what your saying and we will all be changing to electric one day although still not yet convinced its a good thing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I do at least 1 trip a month and probably have short stops of maybe 20 minutes max so the PHEV could work in the future

Not really wanting to wait for maybe an hour to charge fully but i understand what your saying and we will all be changing to electric one day although still not yet convinced its a good thing.

Yep, at the present time in LOS, the PHEV is the way to go, in my opinion.  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

300 kms is about 4 hr in TH ... yea, give me that break, munch, pee, walk dog.  

Relax, enjoy life, take it all in.  Best part of most our O&A is the journey.

Unless you're a working sales, long distance service person, who the hell wants to drive 700 kms at 1 shot, as that's 9-12 hrs.

All the anti EV/China/Solar folks' arguments are silly, and why they are on my ever growing ignore list.

Shouldn't you all be on the 'REAL EV thread' vs this 'fanboy' thread.

I am not an anti-EV, chap, I look at the REAL facts in LOS, this is an in LOS thread...????

You have just said, "Who wants to drive 700km", well, you are looking at stuff that revolves around "you".

I like to think outside my own box, which has nothing to do with China regarding owning an EV.....????

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

In case you do 700 km multiple times a month in Thailand, a BEV is not the right solution for you - a PHEV could fill the bill. If you do long trips a few times per year, it could be worth the hassle - mind you, few people drive 700 km in one shot, so taking a food/toilet break and recharge the battery is typically not a hindrance and might not add significantly to trip time.

I do 700km trips fairly often.

I can do a full benzine fill in less time it takes me to do a <deleted> and buy a coffee.... will a battery charge be the same or do I have to wait hours ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I do 700km trips fairly often.

I can do a full benzine fill in less time it takes me to do a <deleted> and buy a coffee.... will a battery charge be the same or do I have to wait hours ?

Same here I understand some people don't mind waiting hours to charge the car and I do enjoy having a break and a walk around new areas of interest but not sure eating a sandwich waiting an hour to charge would be ideal.

I have never wanted to spend much time at the Pt filling station that's for sure.

Much prefer to get where I am going and enjoying the beach/scenery than sat waiting to charge my car up .

Phev seems good but will wait for a few years as still enjoying normal fuel while I can.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Same here I understand some people don't mind waiting hours to charge the car and I do enjoy having a break and a walk around new areas of interest but not sure eating a sandwich waiting an hour to charge would be ideal.

I have never wanted to spend much time at the Pt filling station that's for sure.

But many hours of fun to be had at the OTOP shop !!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know if this is the right place but it's about battery driven vehicles (please mods feel free to change, if you think another location would be better)

I am thinking of buying a 3 wheel  battery driven vehicle, preferably one that the seat configuration can be changed to seat 2 adults and one child. You must have seen them running around. As I get older I find my sense of balance isn't as good as it was and I dont own a car. Have always hired one when needed (not very often).

Does anyone have any knowledge of these things, I have checked out a couple of shops in Pattaya but they don't have what I want.

I live in a condo and don't have access to a socket in the car/bike park, so I need one with a detachable battery which I can take upstairs to my condo.

Can anybody help me here.

5 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I don't know if this is the right place but it's about battery driven vehicles (please mods feel free to change, if you think another location would be better)

I am thinking of buying a 3 wheel  battery driven vehicle, preferably one that the seat configuration can be changed to seat 2 adults and one child. You must have seen them running around. As I get older I find my sense of balance isn't as good as it was and I dont own a car. Have always hired one when needed (not very often).

Does anyone have any knowledge of these things, I have checked out a couple of shops in Pattaya but they don't have what I want.

I live in a condo and don't have access to a socket in the car/bike park, so I need one with a detachable battery which I can take upstairs to my condo.

Can anybody help me here.

DECO - removable lithium battery

I own their SUSU model, excellent, and no issues, and coming up on 1 yr old.  

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles/family-3

image.png.f4928b6e8510aa983b4b463db07622ce.png

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Some facts for those who don’t drive EVs in Thailand 

A few days ago I charged at a PTT charger. CCS2DC was rated at 120kW. Assuming 100kW capacity and 6km/kWh a 30 minute charge would equate to 300km added range.

33527C0C-D5A1-40B5-9285-119267DE92A7.thumb.jpeg.52a90c2159ceec601233f4fc1f611d73.jpeg

With charging stations less than 150km apart in Thailand, you don’t need to wait hours to charge on a trip

B01CF87D-FDFF-4981-8E49-BB06A7830631.jpeg.7ab32167f64822eea1f83e89b2b7cb36.jpeg

Yep ... and that's how the trolls stand out with their silliness:

Not enough CS

Wait hrs to charge

Takes so long to charge

IGNORE IGNORE ... IGNORED

IF you're more impatient than myself (hard to believe) and enjoy driving for over 4 to 12 hrs straight, then an EV is not for you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

DECO - removable lithium battery

I own their SUSU model, excellent, and no issues, and coming up on 1 yr old.  

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles/family-3

image.png.f4928b6e8510aa983b4b463db07622ce.png

Thanks for that but I was hoping for a slightly smaller vehicle at somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand.

1 minute ago, roger101 said:

Thanks for that but I was hoping for a slightly smaller vehicle at somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand.

You're not going to find anything, that will carry 2 people, with a lithium battery in that price range. IMHO

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You're not going to find anything, that will carry 2 people, with a lithium battery in that price range. IMHO

The ones I looked at had a reasonably size battery it was just to complected to remove them quickly although they looked like the battery had carrying handles and 1 picture I saw the battery was out of the vehicle and looked as though it could be recharged.

25 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

It is just that on this thread people paint a rosy picture of EV ownership with no problems at all, and that just isn't the case at the moment.

Really ... and your 1st hand experience of it NOT being the case.  Or even a friend of a friend's uncle's grandfather having a bad experience with their EV in Thailand will qualify.

Yet to hear or read 1 negative experience of EV in Thailand that wasn't 'user error'.

What if, what if, what if ... ????

Buy a car that takes E85, then get back to me.  More charging stations in Krung Thep not being used, not having a Q, then PTT stations selling E85.  Or on the main inter-province highways.

Troll on ... 

I'm thinking about getting one of these for the village...

image.jpeg.c87749825950e7b92eb7ff9c85791abf.jpeg

L&P Funbike GVX500II

Motor power : 500 W

Battery capacity : 48V 20Ah (12V 20Ah 4 balls)

Battery charger : 220v (48v20ah converter)

Max speed : 20-25 km /watch

Top speed : 25 km /watch

Continuous Running Distance : 40-50 kilometres

Charging time: 7-8 hours

Braking System : Drum Brake Front/Rear

Size of car :

Tyre Size : 3.00-10 Front/Rear ( Alloy Wheel 10“)

Going up the hill : 20 degrees

1 hour ago, Encid said:

I'm thinking about getting one of these for the village...

image.jpeg.c87749825950e7b92eb7ff9c85791abf.jpeg

L&P Funbike GVX500II

Motor power : 500 W

Battery capacity : 48V 20Ah (12V 20Ah 4 balls)

Battery charger : 220v (48v20ah converter)

Max speed : 20-25 km /watch

Top speed : 25 km /watch

Continuous Running Distance : 40-50 kilometres

Charging time: 7-8 hours

Braking System : Drum Brake Front/Rear

Size of car :

Tyre Size : 3.00-10 Front/Rear ( Alloy Wheel 10“)

Going up the hill : 20 degrees

Might want to reconsider, as the DECO give you more power, more battery (power & usable ah s) & better warranty.

https://m.facebook.com/lpmonkeyshop/posts/4183513461777242

17 hours ago, vinny41 said:

If we focus on EVs with a price tag of 1.3 million baht or less then you are looking at approx 7 EVs ( I believe Nissan Leaf is no longer for sale in Thailand)

https://www.headlightmag.com/full-review-2019-2022-nissan-leaf-ev/

https://www.facebook.com/Techhangout/photos/a.1576235062687531/3178652879112400/

A few years go Brands would build up stock before they would launch a new model not sure if they do that anymore and its simply build per colour batch

At the moment its Catch 22 for the car buyers that ordered in March at that time and at the price point of 1.3 million or less there was only 2 brands to choose from  and if you were looking for a type example suv only 1 model available

From next month there will be 4 brands to choose from and on the  b-size suv front 3 models to choose from 

So March buyers that haven't received their order's the choice is to stick with that brand or cancel their order and go with a different brand

I can't seen it happening but it would be good if when a customer goes to a dealer to view and order a car they show you the approx wait times for different paint colors

that way you know if you choose an unpopular colour the wait time will be x number of months longer than one of the popular colours

Right now in the more popular chinese BEV companies they seem to be doing a pre-order strategy for new releases, not sure if its funding constraints or if they just want to gauge demand before production. I.e Xpeng, Nio, are using that strategy for the G9 and ET5

BYD announced not too long ago that they are building a factory in Thailand, maybe that would help bring EV's to Thailand, another issue is Thailands foreign taxes, I still can't understand how some people are okay with buying a $50,000 car for $100,000-$200,000, I am guessing cars like Tesla's are no different. 

I personally wouldn't trust any of these new EV car brands other than Tesla, too many issues can arise from a product not being tested with time. Explosions, car issues, defects, etc. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, and that is fantastic as long as you are guaranteed to be able to rock up and charge straight away and not have to wait in a queue of cars.  No problem you say, there will be another one close by - but what if that is the same ?  Someone even said you can book them in advance, but what happens of you strike a traffic delay and miss your spot? I'm not anti EV, I see myself having one and charging it pretty much solely at home, and having in addition to that the old faithful diesel SUV for long journeys which I'll keep and not sell. It is just that on this thread people paint a rosy picture of EV ownership with no problems at all, and that just isn't the case at the moment.

The reality will set in eventually for EV owners in Thailand, it's not a matter of if but when. In 2012 when no one had a Tesla, the same could be said about no one having to wait for the few EV chargers that existed in Toronto although you had to drive through traffic and long distances just to get to an EV charger, until people started buying EV's.

Even new condos only have a few chargers and people fight about them all the time in the condo group chat. Can't imagine having to deal with that. 

But for some who never experienced the hassles of owning an EV yet, they think they are myths, unfortunately that doesn't mean they don't exist just because they aren't believed. 

Imagine if everyone had an EV in the condo, 500 EVs using 2 chargers, sounds practical to me...

Edited by dj230

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

The reality will set in eventually for EV owners in Thailand, it's not a matter of if but when. In 2012 when no one had a Tesla, the same could be said about no one having to wait for the few EV chargers that existed in Toronto although you had to drive through traffic and long distances just to get to an EV charger, until people started buying EV's.

Even new condos only have a few chargers and people fight about them all the time in the condo group chat. Can't imagine having to deal with that. 

But for some who never experienced the hassles of owning an EV yet, they think they are myths, unfortunately that doesn't mean they don't exist just because they aren't believed. 

Imagine if everyone had an EV in the condo, 500 EVs using 2 chargers, sounds practical to me...

Reminds me of when a group of you only have 2 phone chargers between 5 of you as they forgot their cables.