If Thailand is getting tougher for expats, how about Vietnam?

webfact

If people are not happy retiring in Thailand for what ever reason 

Have a look at other countries go there and see if it's what you want

Meets your needs so to speak 

No point in complaining if you don't try 

Don't talk the talk 

Try walk the walk 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flink said:

I think you misunderstand the OP's point. It's not that he doesn't like foreigners. What, I believe, the OP is getting at is how foreigners arriving in their home country are changing it in ways that are not necessarily for the better. When you live in a foreign country, like Vietnam, you expect not to be able to read the road signs, find shops catering only to people of a different ethnicity/nationality to you. When those things begin to happen in your own country it begins to show you that the foreigners in your own country are getting the upper hand. Case in point, the recent furore over the new signs appearing at Whitechapel Underground station. When a council decides to change the some of the name boards at an international airport or arrivals hub to a foreign language we understand the logic. Lots of foreign tourists so make it easier for them to understand. When it is happening at a local underground station it conveys the notion that the area is no longer an area dominated by the natives. When you fancy a "City Break" with the wife for a weekend but find it hard to book a hotel because they've been block booked by the government to house people who entered the country illegally. When you see churches closing down but more and more mosques being built month after month. When you find yourself being accosted in the street by men in strange costumes calling your wife unspeakable things because she is wearing a sleeveless summer dress on a hot day. THAT is the "too many foreigners" people don't like. It is not a xenophonic thing, more a feeling of losing your own national identity.

Those bloody Welsh Signs LOL before you can pronounce  the name of a town you have driven through it. :cheesy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

The usual talk about Thailand is so bad, so need to chose another country garbage. Vietnam is not an option for most retirees at the moment. Nothing wrong with Thailand, and no need to make it sound more bad than it is. Most people that planned their retirement well have no problem at all. It´s just in this forum, all the ones that wish to complain on a daily basis gather to measure their levels of negativity.

Absolutely spoton.  Couldn’t have said it better

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No not in Thailand.

Yes, but that's only a recent change. Up until 2019 you had to notify immigration when you'd been away from your place of residence for 24 hours (TM30) and all the hassle that entailed. Lived in China for 7 years and never had to do that. Never had to report to immigration every 90 days. Only time I ever saw the immigration guys (when not renewing my visa/FEC or travelling in/out of the country) was when one arrived at my front door because the estate warden of the community where I lived thought I was an illegal alien.

1 minute ago, Flink said:

Yes, but that's only a recent change. Up until 2019 you had to notify immigration when you'd been away from your place of residence for 24 hours (TM30) and all the hassle that entailed. Lived in China for 7 years and never had to do that. Never had to report to immigration every 90 days.

That TM30 thing was temporary right? I remember it was attempted and fell apart. This was the worst I've seen Thailand get in terms of respecting foreigners and was a symptom of the current government AKAIK. Hard to say if this reflects new trends or just a hostile government in power.

The 90 day reporting in Thailand is the worst thing they do here and certainly gives you the impression they see us as potential invaders that need to be kept a close eye on. Other that that I can go anywhere I want here and it feels very free. I got the impression China was not at all like that.

Da Nang is beautiful and cheap .It still has no expat community left after 2 years of lock down.Everyone in a tourist visa was told to leave. At one stage you were not allowed to leave your appartment .People were relying on gov handouts.as in Shanghi

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2009 I arrived in Thailand with a 1 year ME non 'O' VISA given so I could 'look around the country'. ZERO paperwork, just a 1 page form to fill in and post off with my passport and 120GBP, granted and returned in 5 days.

Then all the guys I met here living here for years on monthly 'waiver on entry', with a van ride to MaeSai every month.

If nothing has changed ...... why can't I/they get that now?

I have no idea what '...a 1 year ME non 'O' VISA...' is and no idea why you can't get it now.  I said nothing had changed for me since my arrival in 2010 except the insurance requirement.  I think that is true for a number of expats over 50 on regular retirement visas.  

27 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

The 90 day reporting in Thailand is the worst thing they do here and certainly gives you the impression they see us as potential invaders that need to be kept a close eye on. Other that that I can go anywhere I want here and it feels very free. I got the impression China was not at all like that.

Nope, I was totally ignored by the authorities in China, and Vietnam/Philippines/Cambodia.

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

I have no idea what '...a 1 year ME non 'O' VISA...' is and no idea why you can't get it now.  I said nothing had changed for me since my arrival in 2010 except the insurance requirement.  I think that is true for a number of expats over 50 on regular retirement visas.  

ME = Multi Entry.   Valid for 12 months but you have to leave/re-enter the country every 90 days.   I believe still available.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, eggzthaioz said:

Lived in Viet Nam for 6 months in 2019 and in my opinion it's a  better country to live. 

Majority of the forum posters were there as tourists and therefore they don't get a real Viet Nam experience.

I taught English and lived in a Vietnamese neighbourhood and found the Vietnamese people to be friendly, welcoming and much more diligent and ambitious than Thais.

After 35 years living in Thailand it's time for a change so in a few months I'll relocate to Vung Tau for 6 months.

Thailand isn't the country I grew to love anymore. 

Can you get proper retirement visa there?

Can you buy and own a condo / house / car etc?

Do you have to leave and return to the country ever few months or yearly?

Can you get legit legal long stay visa without fiddling it? 

Can you have a bank account?

I just like to have security that I won't suddenly be kicked out of the country and loose my home.

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

t will probably take longer for expats to be allowed to own a motor car and drive it freely around Viet Nam.

A little bit misinformed part of your post. The part that you can not own a car is 100% correct, but there is no problem in the world driving around freely in Vietnam. A friend, or girlfriend, can own the car. After that it´s possible for most Americans and Europeans to convert their driver license to a 10 year Vietnamese one. After that you are free to drive any regular car wherever you wish in Vietnam.

• Thanks 1

Do the people of Viet Nam have any resentment towards westerners; especially Americans?

And what about the three most important things, Beer, women and fishing? Are there fishing parks like Bansumran? And the ladies? Are they a friendly lot? Price of beer?

I was informed that one can get a train from Nong Khai to Saigon. I'll check that out for w/e get away.

Prior to covid I would buy four 3 month multi entry tourist visa every year as I went to Saigon every month. 

Living with a vietnamese chick can be tricky. 

Cheap visa wise. 

More simple in so many ways.

Screenshot_20220422-095907~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SirHonkersTheFirst said:

I've lived in VN for nearly three years, China for 13 (did my head in), Taiwan for three, and spent about 6 months in Thailand, and 6 months in Cambodia.

I work here. The scammy, <deleted>ty bosses do my head in. As does the ever-present, continuous honking.

The food is not that great - Thai food is better.

The women - meh. Some sweet ones, but my Chinese and Taiwan lovers were never deceptive or wanted money.

The people are, for the most part, decent and polite towards foreigners.

China/Taiwan for great food and women. China for earning potential. Taiwan for first world living, mixed with good  cultural heritage, and reasonable salaries, and great health system.

Cambodia = Scambodia (and a vassal state of China).

I'll be heading back to Taiwan when my contract runs its course here. Or perhaps if I'm feeling adventurous Malaysia/Thailand/Indonesia (NOT Bali).

Something that got to me during my last (maybe 10th) visit to Thailand, was I felt a degree of animosity, and that I was a walking ATM. Perhaps because I was mostly in tourist areas.

Great post. This is what we want to hear. First hand experiences.

I've heard about those Chinese ladies

What about  bridge and chess clubs?

In early 2000 Vietnam announced it was, wef July 2020, changing visas to 30 days with NO extensions.  Then Covid shut the place down, so I’m not sure if the legislation was promulgated.