Open season on foreign driver reigns

tomyami

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not easy to put a camera on a bike, but when on the car, the perpetrator is immediately busted. No excuses, no weak, anemic, juveline lies. Just bald faced guilt.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, perhaps the perpetrator in this case was the OP's friend and it was him, not the other driver. who was a "juvenile, weak, anaemic excuse-ridden, barefaced, guilty liar", to use your description.  Seems to be his word against the other's.  

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Rule #1 when living in Thailand:  YOUR LIFE is worth about 500 baht, and you can die from AIDS, bad food, bad water, some disease, accident, anything......and it will be YOUR fault.   These are the terms.   OK!! 

....and it will be YOUR fault.   These are the terms.   OK!!" 

Complete garbage.   Unless it actually was your fault, of course.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO, the left lane is the most dangerous.....   

People pulling out from the left without looking. 

Dogs and people stepping out into the street. 

Cars parked, food carts etc forcing a lane change. 

Then we have vehicles  speeding up to pass us, then cut across us turning left. 

The left lane is the very lane I avoid where ever and whenever possible, unless I’m actually turning left at the next junction. 

As I said before, I seem to survive OK on the left shoulder. For ten years.

I don't get above 40 km/hr, and I check my mirrors constantly for traffic. If I am forced into a lane change, I'd rather stop before the obstruction than try conclusions with whatever is behind me.

I'm in full agreement with your Golden Rules. There's another one - I only travel within the city on short trips, take the car for anything longer. Two wheels demands too much concentration for long journeys.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage.

Is it really garbage?

At some stage in the past some bar owner said to a customer if you want one of my staff to go with you then you will have to compensate me. (bar fine) 

It then spread across Thailand as a new money maker. 

The Thai's come up with new ways to extract money from foreigners because they have tried it, and it worked, and the word then spreads.  Prime example is the "sick buffalo" scam story. 

Not saying that is, or will be, the case with this accident, but there is some truth to money making BS / scams spreading across the country. 

Another one that comes to mind is the jet ski scam.  It got tried on years ago, worked, and then spread across Thailand. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Well Im out everyday and  almost everyday I record  stuff  like this...... this from a  few  days  ago, its   got to the point where Im almost oblivious and something Id  never  see in my home country ever.

SOP here, scooters and cars both. The etiquette is to stay on the RHS of the vehicle going the wrong way.

IMO it's not particularly dangerous, because the wrong way vehicle usually travels quite slowly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

The problem here is we only have your "friend's" version of events, and I find it hard to believe every inch of Sukhumvit is not covered by both police and private cameras. I suspect the car driver had a dashcam and was able to prove his assertion.

The friend of mine is a retired ambulance driver and paramedic I met him hours after the incident and quote he never was in a crash in his life but attended lots

The immediate demand for money had full backing of RTP liability was a given.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

SOP here, scooters and cars both. The etiquette is to stay on the RHS of the vehicle going the wrong way.

IMO it's not particularly dangerous, because the wrong way vehicle usually travels quite slowly.

Death rates   differ  with your  view.

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I see it a lot. Driving fast in the right hand lane and overtaking when approaching a U turn opening is pretty stupid. ISN'T IT!

Talk about calling the kettle black!

what the hell  are  you  on about?

44 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

what the hell  are  you  on about?

He's talking about your video, where you are approaching a U-turn intersection at speed, without any attempt to slow down.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He's talking about your video, where you are approaching a U-turn intersection at speed, without any attempt to slow down.

rubbish no speed  is shown so at best hes  guessing  and a nyone  looking can see  slowing down clearly visible, god  some <deleted> is  said on Thai  visa, next youll  be  telling me Im not a  safe  distance from the car in front, obviously  drunk and  any other BS that can be spouted. Yeah we  never  read of motorcycles  travelling the wrong way being  killed  here regularly.

Then in other threads  get  told they must travel at the same speed  as  traffic  in the lane they are in, none of which slow  down at U  turns, do that and have some retard drive into the back of you.

But is does  remind me to stop  posting on Thai  Visa, thanks for that, am sure  youll be grateful also.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

24 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

have you

I asked the question first. If you don't want to answer it because it's only your opinion a lot of deaths are caused by vehicles going the wrong way, fine by me.

You do know what they say about opinions, don't you?

29 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

rubbish no speed  is shown so at best hes  guessing  and a nyone  looking can see  slowing down clearly visible, god  some <deleted> is  said on Thai  visa, next youll  be  telling me Im not a  safe  distance from the car in front, obviously  drunk and  any other BS that can be spouted. Yeah we  never  read of motorcycles  travelling the wrong way being  killed  here regularly.

Then in other threads  get  told they must travel at the same speed  as  traffic  in the lane they are in, none of which slow  down at U  turns, do that and have some retard drive into the back of you.

But is does  remind me to stop  posting on Thai  Visa, thanks for that, am sure  youll be grateful also.

You are a safe distance from the car in front. You are traveling in a straight line, so presumably you are not drunk.

Whether you do or don't post on ASEAN because someone disagrees with you is of no interest to me.

I suspect the policeman and Thai guy had a little discussion and decided 2000 for him, 3 for the driver. A forward facing camera on the bike may have proven no lane change.... a rear facing one would have been incontrovertible. 

Don't expect integrity here from many parties. 

There is also the expectation of the rich one (foreigner) or the one with insurance, pays up. One would need Thai language skills and a strong nature to defeat them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect the policeman and Thai guy had a little discussion and decided 2000 for him, 3 for the driver. A forward facing camera on the bike may have proven no lane change.... a rear facing one would have been incontrovertible. 

Don't expect integrity here from many parties. 

There is also the expectation of the rich one (foreigner) or the one with insurance, pays up. One would need Thai language skills and a strong nature to defeat them!

Not quite the Insurance guy made it clear to my friend he was to be handed 1k for his part

23 hours ago, bbko said:

Actually it is easy, especially on an Aerox, they have a auxiliary power port near the handlebars, all that's needed is a USB adapter (small change at any Mr DIY shop) a dash cam with cord and a micro SD memory card and a mount.

I have an Aerox and all the items mentioned above, just need the motivation to mount it, maybe this is it.

i have front and rear cameras mounted on my bike, comes on with the lights and records a 1 hour continuous video cycle on both cameras 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO, the left lane is the most dangerous.....   

People pulling out from the left without looking. 

Dogs and people stepping out into the street. 

Cars parked, food carts etc forcing a lane change. 

Then we have vehicles  speeding up to pass us, then cut across us turning left. 

The left lane is the very lane I avoid where ever and whenever possible, unless I’m actually turning left at the next junction. 

you are 100% incorrect, the left lane is safe if driving slowly, I have been riding here a long time, I would feel very exposed if I could not safely ride slightly faster than the traffic around me, the only time I feel threatened/exposed is the rare occasion I have been riding a scooter, my bike tops out at about 300kph so staying ahead of other vehicles is very easy, not so easy on a scooter - if you can't keep up stay on the left and drive slowly well out of the way

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:56 PM, aussiexpat said:

Sounds like when I was in Saudi. I was shopping in a mall when a local rammed into the back of my parked car. I turned up about 30 minutes later and then spent 6 hours in the police station with threats of being jailed until finally the local admitted it was his fault and they let me go lol

I know Saudi and that is a totally different world but you are correct in what you say.

Normally, if you are hit from behind, it is always the fault of the rear vehicle. The cops know this, and normally will assess the fault as such.

If the front vehicle cuts off the rear vehicle, the rear vehicle should have braked  to share the road, or hit the front vehicle on the side. If the rear vehicle hits the front vehicle on the side, then the front vehicle is at fault, meaning the front vehicle clearly cut-off the rear vehicle and the front vehicle did not share the road.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Lacessit said:

He was going in mid lane.

I assume everyone on the roads in Thailand is trying to kill me, and drive accordingly. That means I travel on the left shoulder as far left as it is possible to get.

I've been doing that for ten years now in Thailand. One minor shunt at the Chiang Rai Clock Tower, female driver very apologetic.

The friend of the OP may well be in the right, but I don't think much of his sense of self-preservation.

The inside lane, unless you are going at walking speed, is the "death" lane on a motorbike here.

Countless people on all manner of transport pull out or cut in , right in front of you without looking. It's also the lane with the worst potholes and is likely to have anything parked on it from Noodle sellers to artic trucks.

I find that the safest place to be is on the outside right of the first car lane as this gives you the most freedom of movement to get out of the way of other traffic. It also helps if your going faster than the general speed of the surrounding traffic as this minimises the risk of being rear ended...

2 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

The inside lane, unless you are going at walking speed, is the "death" lane on a motorbike here.

Countless people on all manner of transport pull out or cut in , right in front of you without looking. It's also the lane with the worst potholes and is likely to have anything parked on it from Noodle sellers to artic trucks.

I find that the safest place to be is on the outside right of the first car lane as this gives you the most freedom of movement to get out of the way of other traffic. It also helps if your going faster than the general speed of the surrounding traffic as this minimises the risk of being rear ended...

If that is the case, please explain how I have been accident-free for ten years using the left shoulder. The left shoulder IS NOT the inside lane, can't you read?

I agree the inside lane gets the worst potholes. Because the traffic on the left shoulder is mostly scooters, I have found it's actually the smoothest surface, except for the occasional gravel patch.

It's about reaction time. At 40 km/hr or less, I have plenty of time to assess and react to threats, and take avoiding actions.

So you are on your chosen lane, doing 100 km/hr to stay ahead of the traffic. How much reaction time do you think you have when someone behind you is closing at 150 km/hr, or someone in front of you decides to change lanes? How much time do you have for threat assessment?

You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Good luck, you're going to need it. Or super-fast reflexes.

• Sad 2