Cop who killed doctor on Bangkok zebra crossing jailed for a year - no suspended sentence

webfact

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Five years would have been more realistic.   Sentences as lenient as this do nothing to improve the situation on Thailands appaling roads full of appalling Drivers and Riders !

And those that do runners, due to large fines & jail time, should have their sentenses doubled when caught. Examples need to be made. If this officer is allowed to return to his job in the RTP, clearly an example is NOT being made.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

At 21 he must just be out of medical school and even that sounds very suspect as a medical degree usually takes anything from 5 to 7 years. So was he at most 16 when he went to medical school?

Who on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

This kid literally got away with a murder, apart from riding someone else motorcycle, probably without insurance and whatever else  ????????‍♂️ Now, just imagine if a foreigner, farang, westerner however the name us all was involved in this motorcycle accidents, surely they would’ve thrown the jail keys away unless you’d pay millions of baths ????????‍♂️ 
This is just so wrong ! I feel truly sad for the doctor who  at least crossed the pedestrian lines ( probably without looking as the often do ! ) Who left her young life on the worn out tarmac ????

It cannot be murder because that would mean the he deliberately set out to kill her. Manslaughter at the minimum. For leaving the scene of an accident and all the other illegal bits he should have got at least 1 year for each to run consecutively with no remission or get out of jail free card.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, newnative said:

And, why is it 80kph in a hospital zone?

The police lance corporal who drove a big bike into an ophthalmologist on a Phayathai zebra crossing in January, killing her, has been ordered jailed.

Norawich Buadok, 21, was riding a Ducati Monster at a speed of 108-128 kmph in an 80 kmph zone. 

Waralak Suphawatjariyakul - better known as Dr Kratai who worked at Ratchathewee Hospital - was killed.

Just a slap in the face of the parents and the Dr,  another shameful black eye to this country and their so call justice system and those who oversee it.  

This is what a life is worth if you aren't connected what many miss is " Custodial " <deleted> sound like home detention and 4000 baht this court got the balls to publish the decision.  

The mothet asked for "fair" from the RTP ????

• Like 1

We left LOS in 2013 because after building a home in C. Mai in 2008,  by 2013  I'd had enough of the systemic & endemic corruption at every level of Thai society, plus I'd got throat cancer from breathing the supposedly "fresh air" and we had a 3 y.o. daughter that I would not let breath that ***t. I'm near fluent in Thai (reading & writing) but my wife has only recently learnt written English down here in Oz, as it is free, for (ha ha) foreigners. She and he ex-Thai friends in the English class, all aged over 50, agree on only one thing - that they all will never return to LOS, other than for a holiday. Tonight I asked her why she "won't go back there ever " -  her answer, after watching  the ABC news was " I never realised just how dangerous it was to live there ! " - they had just reported the daily death toll in LOS from motor vehicle accidents. The 'Na Ayuttaya nine dead but no penalty' incident sprang immediately to my mind. She was horrified. She is Australian now. I'm proud that I got her and our daughter out. Thailand kills in one day on its' roads, what Australia kills in months .... no kidding ... 

• Like 1

No papers for the bike?  Flashing the badge, that's all the papers he needs right there. 

Insurance?  Had a pal of Chinese descent in the US (what he'd call an ABC) who told me his old-country parents didn't believe in insurance because you invest in harming yourself: in other words, investing is about getting more money in return, and by purchasing insurance the only way to get the payoff is your own misfortune, and who wants to hope for that?  He told me this is a common way of seeing it by Chinese people.  I would guess it would carry over into the rest of East Asian cultures.

I wonder what kind of inmate justice he'll experience in lockup.

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't forget that he and the RTP are still being sued by the family for B70m

So that's alright then, as this is what you are implying. Come on we know you are an apologist but this you have to own it? The doctor wont be able to spend any of that 70 million if the family gets it. So what is your justification with this bizarre statement?

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, nikmar said:

he killed someone illegally and gets a year. Yet some who have just expressed a different opinion to that of the establishment are facing 15 years. Truly bizarre!

did anyone look into how a 21 yr old can afford to run a big bike on police wages?

Wasn't it an impounded vehicle he simply took for a spin?

Every once in a while there are curious applications of the law which don't appear to follow standard practice.

I assumed - perhaps this is my error - that the Doctor's family has higher status than the policeman. And that this would insure being charged with additional crimes, getting a longer sentence and being bounced from the rtp.

But either he comes from a higher lineage, or he gets a status bump for being with the brown gang? 

Did he plead guilty? Did he do the "re-enactment"? Did he lose his driving license?

IMO, the State needs to inform the public on the details of the legal process.

Challenging to expect everyone to obey the law when there seems to be different laws for different people.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just by way of comparison, vehicular manslaughter carries a 14 yr - LIFE sentence in the UK.

Now that or near that, would have been more appropriate and send the right message to others. (IMHO)

Very recently a UK guy on drugs who killed 2 kids by running into their car on the hard shoulder of the motorway received 9.5 years.. and that was after the 30% ‘discount' applied for early guilty plea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Can he appeal severity and get bail while awaiting  outcome of appeal?

Seen some reports that he has chosen not to appeal, makes sense as I think the assumption is that he plead guilty to the reduced charge(s).

But still unclear why he wasn't remanded immediately? I assume "the worst". And that he'll serve his sentence under house arrest, with an ankle monitor.

Then it's back to the rtp.

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Probably some litigating circumstance

Mitigating? Sure. Just share these with the public. Blaming the victim, deceased no less, is always a winning go to strategy.

Any "litigating" circumstances might favor the Doctor's family in their civil suit?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just by way of comparison, vehicular manslaughter carries a 14 yr - LIFE sentence in the UK.

Now that or near that, would have been more appropriate and send the right message to others. (IMHO)

Wow,that seems a bit stiff for a car accident which unfortunately resulted in death.

In comparison, if you stab someone, you'll get just a few years for attempted murder. Strange.

• Like 1