Are children getting a fair deal at Schools in Thailand?

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Surely the lack of proper education will affect this generation of “pandemic year” school children who have missed nearly two years of learning.

They forgot the quotes on ‘proper’ too. ????

Generally kids here don’t get a good deal at home or school and the advent of the ‘smartphone’ has made things worse. Best part of Thai schools is that they generally don’t get to use them. 
Expect schools to ping pong open close when infection rates soar. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Appears that the authorities and media brought these sorted dilemmas on themselves regarding the mish-mash manner in how they handled the COVID Era as well having little farsighted strategy regarding the education infrastructure. Even more so, they lack the recognition skills as to how to resolve such things.

.....and they're still asking why?

Mirror.  Look.  

kids.  Look.

Smart kids will get smarter, and parents shouldn’t be blaming schools.    Put the time in.  Books. Check.  Time.  Check.   Motivation…..haha.     Desire…..depends.

I need to brush my teeth.  Can I do it by myself?   Let me find out….

The foundation of any nation is the education of it's youth.

So, how educated does a  feudal nation need to be, overall, in general? This isn't the west folks, you are not, however admiral,  expressing eastern values. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Schools across Thailand need to score more than 95% on a Covid safety level scale before they can reopen for the new term on May 17.

nice little earner to those carrying out the scores

will it be the military? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Even private schools have been struggling to find enough competent teachers to take online classes

Hah, tell that to a certain, famous BKK private school that makes a habit of letting go half their foreign staff every term.

They can't all be incompetent. There must be some other motive for them to do so, I'm guessing involving insurance or taxes. It certainly isn't education, as every term they then wind up with a fresh crew, who must again learn their way around all the school's ridiculous paperwork and procedures. Not to mention being unable to form any meaningful connections with the students, as they're always being let go.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1

Kaosarn backpackers, weirdos, brittish accountants, South African donkey breeders, Central Asian diplomatic offspring and anything but "teachers" - I thank you from the depth of my heart. We changed 3 kindergartens and 3 schools just to realize that you can't get any (any) valuable education until you will personally desire it.

Home schooling is the answer and I'm very proud of my kid.

So, dear teecha Andee, Steev, Maikl and the rest of your league: <deleted> you and Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Simple answer is a resounding NO, because in many cases thai culture interferes with schooling, as Respect is demanded by tachers no matter how bad they are and QUESTIONS are almost never allowed, this has the effect of dumbing down the normal childs quest for information and we see that is the general lack of knowl;;edge in Thai children, anything outside a book is never taught. Critical thinking an important part of learning is NOT taught or even encouraged as Teachers are unable to grasp it either. 

and so many Sino-Thai (and other rich) families choose overseas schools for their kids, or at least one of the many International schools in Thailand to give them a chance ...

Even the current King went to a UK boarding school........

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Schools across Thailand need to score more than 95% on a Covid safety level scale before they can reopen for the new term on May 17.

Once again this will involve temp checks. These morons have absolutely no idea. I have known 10 people who have had Omicron. One had a slight fever and only for one day.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to my little one getting back to school especially for the social aspect of it.  She was in a great school when "the plague" hit and she was doing very well and she had made friends who she misses.

No. And they never have. <deleted>, they don’t even find it necessary to give them clean toilets in many cases. So don’t be expecting a passable science curriculum anytime soon. This is my only real peeve in Thailand. All else are lesser peeves. Unless they’re parents are well heeled, they don’t stand a chance. 

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Good that we can afford private education.

It's not so much about how much money you can afford to throw at private education as what you get for the money and how much the child wants to do well. From what I have seen of it in Thailand some are wasting good money and time with some of the private schools there. I myself could not see a way to educate my children in Thailand and it simply came down to a choice. Ether we stayed in Thailand or we moved to where my children could receive a good education. We chose our children's education and opportunities in later life over our short term enjoyment and are glad we did. Now we holiday visiting friends in Sweden, Spain, Florida and sometimes Thailand, so get the best of both worlds. It's not always easy to make the right choice, but you will know who took preference when you do decide.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Simple answer is a resounding NO, because in many cases thai culture interferes with schooling, as Respect is demanded by tachers no matter how bad they are and QUESTIONS are almost never allowed, this has the effect of dumbing down the normal childs quest for information and we see that is the general lack of knowl;;edge in Thai children, anything outside a book is never taught. Critical thinking an important part of learning is NOT taught or even encouraged as Teachers are unable to grasp it either. 

Yes I agree about teachers not wanting questions from the class, thinking is not encouraged and some of the online stuff my grandchildren have asked me to explain makes no sense to this 72 year old. When there is a 3 option question and none of the options make any sense to the question what hope is there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1