How can this be acceptable ?

Siam & Asok BTS at rush hour leaves quite a few standing on the platform (pre-covid), waiting for the next train.

One time at Asok, we couldn't even get pass the turnstiles, so walked to Soi 4, and probably much faster than attempting the BTS.   Best to avoid traveling at all during rush hour in downtown areas of BKK.

It takes 30 minutes to get across greater Tokyo by train. In a car, which has a lifespan of two years due to strict environmental regulations, it takes 4-6 hours.

The Japanese culture of extreme politeness arises from being forced to live cheek by jowl. Without it, there would be mass slaughter.

I've been on one of those trains, I probably got more room because I was a foreigner. Definitely not recommended for anyone who is claustrophobic.

I wonder what a Japanese would make of the London Tube, not as crowded with people, but a new olfactory sensation for anyone not a Brit.

• Like 2

Just becomes part of the "living" part of life....

I don't like people in my space, so this would be intolerable....I like to have a little control over the space around me....For safety & decency....

I remember going through an airport in the middle east for a flight leg/transfer.....A few hundred crowded people waiting in  cordoned zig zag lines to be processed....Some fat westerner German lady said loudly "we don't have to put up with this" and unlocked the cordon to cut straight through = everybody stampeded, some were ruthless....Some fell or were knocked down by the crush....Roller bags became weaponized....I pulled my lady out of the way behind a pillar until order was restored....

I don't like being locked into a herd....

images.jpeg

• Like 1

I've seen thus before in Tokyo.  The guy in the black suit had best idea. Walk away wait for next train.

The Victoria line in London gets busy as this but the next train is only 1 or 2 minutes behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Reminds me of the London tube underground at rush hour. 

You not wrong there. I live near Finsbury Park and Victoria line in the morning is so busy I wait for the 2nd or 3rd one which is always only a couple of minutes away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

You not wrong there. I live near Finsbury Park and Victoria line in the morning is so busy I wait for the 2nd or 3rd one which is always only a couple of minutes away.

I went on the underground after parking up by a tube station and try to miss rush if I was able. 

What annoyed me most was people not waiting for other people to get off and instead started to push there way on the train against the flow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

I went on the underground after parking up by a tube station and try to miss rush if I was able. 

What annoyed me most was people not waiting for other people to get off and instead started to push there way on the train against the flow. 

And people not taking off their bloody back packs.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I encountered similar in London... Its just so busy...

I recall exciting a bus and a guy was trying to get on the bus at the same time (through me)... I think he was also fare dodging as I exited through the muddle doors, he ’should’ have go on at the front doors. As he tired to get on through me I just continued to exit with everyone else and he ended up getting pushed back....   He was so angry by the time he got on the bus, he was on the bus looking out through the window screaming at me....  punching the window !!!... (*nutter !!... so I blew him a kiss !).

Thailand does very well, it gets very busy and crowded yet people try to be as respectful of each other as possible. 

Japan of course takes this to another level where behaviour and restraint are paramount - Japan is quite *unique in the expectations of behaviour society places on itself.

Living in extremely busy areas and having to use rush our traffic is simply unavoidable for many. 

Those who have retired here can comment - but we all needed to work at some point, some of us were luckier than others. 

I recall driving to work (Rama IV to Ratchada) it took 1.5 hrs !!!....  I did that once... So I started taking the BTS then the MRT which was horrible. 

Motorbike to Ekammai BTS, then change at Asoke, then off at Thai Cultural Centre.... 

The return was so busy I simply chose to walk home from Asoke - by the time I’d get home I was sodden with sweat...  not exactly pleasant. 

Fortunately that was a shorter contract - but I’ve worked in many capital cities and working in busy cities in the tropics is horrible....  Its so humid walking any distance is horrible and sweaty so we are forced to use crowded public transport.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I wonder what a Japanese would make of the London Tube, not as crowded with people, but a new olfactory sensation for anyone not a Brit.

You've obviously not tried the Moscow Metro in summer. 

Can't you see how polite they are? The staff who 'helped' get the last passengers in was wearing white gloves, as they all do.

I was once waiting for the train at Roppongi, and it was packed like in the vid when it pulled up. One woman's face was pressed against the glass of the door. When the door opened it pulled her mouth to one side in a bizarre smile.

Such is Japan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

You've obviously not tried the Moscow Metro in summer. 

True enough, Russia is not on my bucket list. Come to think of it, is it on anyone's?

Edited by Lacessit

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True enough, Russia is not on my bucket list. Come to think of it, is it on anyone's?

Yes. I very much wish to spend some time in Russia some day. Have a good friend who will be my guide.

• Like 1