Tobacco is bad for the planet and the health

webfact

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Smoking is the one (and only) vice I don't have.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to smoking by "Big Boys" behind the bike-sheds.

I was maybe 12 and was given a Woodbine, a UK brand which I'm 100% certain contained the floor sweepings from the factory, no filter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbine_(cigarette). After a couple of tentative puffs I was told to "take it down", a deep drag later I was puking all over.

Never was tempted again. Thankyou "Big Boys".

Your experience sounds strangley like mine, even down to the bicycle sheds, never smoked since that one puff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

What doesn't have a negative impact on something.

Until we all become subsistence farmers, we'll all be part of destroying what we need to live.  Some more than others of course.

Planet itself is fine, has been before we were here and will survive long after we extinct ourselves.

Can't remember who said it but it was on the lines of   every time you start to think you're important just consider that you are one small part of the greatest infestation that is poisoning this once pristine planet.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

This is laughable.

What about the systematic burning down and slashing of rainforests everywhere? If we go with Dr. Nievera's argumentation, the resulting mono-cultures of oil palms, sugar cane, maize, rice etc. etc. are therefore "bad for the planet", too, and should be eradicated. And I don't even want to begin mentioning the practice of burning fields post-harvest. If you live in Southeast Asia, you know exactly what I am talking about.

As per manufacturing: Have you actually seen the thick black fumes emanating from sugar factory and palm oil refinery smoke stacks? By contrast, there are NO noxious fumes wafting from tobacco manufacturing plants. 

Last but not least, if you're living in one of Asia's mega cities such as Bangkok, for example, I would dare claim that you are harming your health considerably more by simply breathing the toxic air on a daily basis than by occasionally getting exposed to "second-hand [tobacco] smoke. Is Dr. Nievera's solution that we therefore should just bulldoze down all large cities in the world because they're bad for peoples' health? 

In any case, the much touted and controversial "deadly second-hand smoking hazard" appears to be far from scientifically proven, with most studies standing on very shaky ground:  https://www.tobaccoasia.com/features/q-a-simon-clark-the-passive-smoking-myth/

I am not defending tobacco here. But what I am doing is pointing out that tobacco - once again - is demonized as some sort of a global scourge -- because it fits the political agenda.

God knows there are countless other agricultural products that collectively would fit that "bad for the planet" bill and in fact cause considerably MORE harm on multiple levels than tobacco ever will.

And if Thailand allegedly "loses" 350 billion baht per hear in healthcare expenses related to tobacco use, the expenditure for treating diseases and ailments caused by overconsumption of sugar, salt, MSG, unhygienic food in general and the exposure to polluted air and water, airborne dust, pesticides etc. etc. certainly must dwarf those supposed 350 billion.

Yet nobody constantly raps on about that for the simple reason that tobacco apparently has been selected as the sole devil that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.

And while I DO advocate for and indeed welcome smoking bans in certain public places, I still opine that the operators of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. should be accorded the CHOICE whether they want to designate their venue as "smoke-free" or "smoking permitted". And if you are a rabid anti-smoker... instead of complaining that everybody around you is trying to kill you, just DON'T frequent places where you KNOW that you're going to be exposed to smoke.  

But have you given the matter any thought?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

This is laughable.

What about the systematic burning down and slashing of rainforests everywhere? If we go with Dr. Nievera's argumentation, the resulting mono-cultures of oil palms, sugar cane, maize, rice etc. etc. are therefore "bad for the planet", too, and should be eradicated. And I don't even want to begin mentioning the practice of burning fields post-harvest. If you live in Southeast Asia, you know exactly what I am talking about.

As per manufacturing: Have you actually seen the thick black fumes emanating from sugar factory and palm oil refinery smoke stacks? By contrast, there are NO noxious fumes wafting from tobacco manufacturing plants. 

Last but not least, if you're living in one of Asia's mega cities such as Bangkok, for example, I would dare claim that you are harming your health considerably more by simply breathing the toxic air on a daily basis than by occasionally getting exposed to "second-hand [tobacco] smoke. Is Dr. Nievera's solution that we therefore should just bulldoze down all large cities in the world because they're bad for peoples' health? 

In any case, the much touted and controversial "deadly second-hand smoking hazard" appears to be far from scientifically proven, with most studies standing on very shaky ground:  https://www.tobaccoasia.com/features/q-a-simon-clark-the-passive-smoking-myth/

I am not defending tobacco here. But what I am doing is pointing out that tobacco - once again - is demonized as some sort of a global scourge -- because it fits the political agenda.

God knows there are countless other agricultural products that collectively would fit that "bad for the planet" bill and in fact cause considerably MORE harm on multiple levels than tobacco ever will.

And if Thailand allegedly "loses" 350 billion baht per hear in healthcare expenses related to tobacco use, the expenditure for treating diseases and ailments caused by overconsumption of sugar, salt, MSG, unhygienic food in general and the exposure to polluted air and water, airborne dust, pesticides etc. etc. certainly must dwarf those supposed 350 billion.

Yet nobody constantly raps on about that for the simple reason that tobacco apparently has been selected as the sole devil that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.

And while I DO advocate for and indeed welcome smoking bans in certain public places, I still opine that the operators of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. should be accorded the CHOICE whether they want to designate their venue as "smoke-free" or "smoking permitted". And if you are a rabid anti-smoker... instead of complaining that everybody around you is trying to kill you, just DON'T frequent places where you KNOW that you're going to be exposed to smoke.  

What a load of <deleted>. And links a pro tobacco website to counter second hand smoke

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Is that after the taxes are taken into account? Usually tobacco sales make profits for a country, even after health care costs are deducted.

"Each year, Thai Health has the budget around US$ 120 million from surcharged tax from tobacco and alcohol products."

https://tobaccotax.seatca.org/country/thailand/#:~:text=Each year%2C Thai Health has,from tobacco and alcohol products.

It's very rare I see a thai smoking.

Mayber the ladies smoking cigars but otherwise.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

??? In Pattaya about 80% oof males are cigarette smokers. In the country about 42 ,% 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/732857/thailand-male-smoking-rate/#:~:text=Prevalence of smoking for males Thailand 2012-2018&text=In 2018%2C the proportion of,rate was around 47.10 percent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Mayber the ladies smoking cigars but otherwise.

Really ... I'm actually surprised with the amount of Thais I see smoking.  Opposite of my peers, growing up, and think all but 1 quit decades ago, and folks I knew in the workplace, before coming here.  Very few smoked actually.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Smoking is the one (and only) vice I don't have.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to smoking by "Big Boys" behind the bike-sheds.

I was maybe 12 and was given a Woodbine, a UK brand which I'm 100% certain contained the floor sweepings from the factory, no filter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbine_(cigarette). After a couple of tentative puffs I was told to "take it down", a deep drag later I was puking all over.

Never was tempted again. Thankyou "Big Boys".

My father, who smoked a cigar maybe once a month, did me the favor to offer it to me to try.

I tried, I definitely didn't like it, and I never did it again.

Thanks for that.

• Like 1

Many moons ago a fellow apprentice smoked a pipe, his favoured baccy was "Clan" a highly aromatic blend. It actually smelled pretty good, it certainly wasn't unpleasant (unlike the roll-ups the other chaps smoked).

I was never actually tempted to try it.

Still available https://www.smoke-king.co.uk/clan-pipe-tobacco-50g-packet although at 18 quid for 50g I will continue to give it a miss.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Tobacco is utterly heinous, and one of the filthiest habits any person can pick up. It is unbelievably unpleasant for most non smokers to be around these highly addicted, weak willed individuals. 

Tell the Thai government to stop getting people addicted, through its highly profitable franchise. Such an abomination. 

Agree, but you could have left out 'weak willed' ????

EC was doing an interview one time, and stated cigs were the hardest habit for him to break, of all the substances he had issues with.  That's pretty telling.

• Like 1