Proposal to scrap Thailand Pass comes as moves to return to normal face a new hurdle: politics

webfact

A website for travel authorization was launched by Korea (K-ETA) separate from covid already. Singapore has it. The US has had ESTA for years. The EU is rolling something out May 2023

Travel insurance is permanent to visit Thailand and so is some form of Thailand pass. The regime will just gloss it over  and call it something else. Who does not have a smartphone now really a non issue.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They are good proposals to attract tourists back to Thailand , buy they need to consider  giving away free plastic bags ay 7/11 as well

You are correct FREE Plastic bags from 7-11  are critical to saving Thailand....We want 100% free plastic bags 100% of the time....

Edited by redwood1

Looking at it dispassionately there is now no justification for the additional covid related entry requirements imposed by many SE Asian countries.

All they are now doing is creating confusion and reluctance among would be travellers

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

You are correct FREE Plastic bags from 7-11  are critical to saving Thailand....We want 100% free plastic bags 100% of the time....

I bought about 8 items the other day; got to the Till and said 'Bag Please'.   Didn't happen; so i said  'Call Manager Please' and this scruffy looking Pleb came out of a back office and said 'Uh ?'.  I said 'Uh; no, i want a Bag for this many items, whereupon he told the Young Girl to give me a Bag !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

A website for travel authorization was launched by Korea (K-ETA) separate from covid already. Singapore has it. The US has had ESTA for years. The EU is rolling something out May 2023

Travel insurance is permanent to visit Thailand and so is some form of Thailand pass. The regime will just gloss it over  and call it something else. Who does not have a smartphone now really a non issue.

I call this nonsense - posted on Tuesday :post-4641-1156694572:

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Well, everyone at the army barracks needs a pass to enter and leave, right? So should every visitor to the country, then, yes? Thailand is just one big army barracks after all.

"passport"

am I missing something  ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I seriously disagree with you - you think the Chinese are going to put up with billions of baht in insurance scams and doing thai passes to get in ? When China starts travel again the pass will melt away.

It will be included in the cost of the zero baht tours - as will the kickbacks.

How the number of "tourists" is counted here has always been questionable. Without the Thai passport and compulsory insurance, day and weekend tourism with neighboring countries would certainly be significantly revived. With the abolition of the midnight curfew for bars, parties and discos, Thailand could re-establish itself as a party metropolis in SEA in the medium term.

With a modern and progressive tourism policy and a corresponding visa policy, Thailand could have significantly more tourists (long and short term). But with these small, fearful and hesitant micro-changes practiced by the current government, that won't happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, starky said:

Yep thats correct i just came back again 2 days ago. You have a 3 day window. Having said that you get your TP almost instaneously. Literally took less than 10 minutez for me to apply and recieve my TP.

I've just done one for a land border crossing and the window is 5 days (valid from today until 12 June).  Had the same fast processing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

It will be included in the cost of the zero baht tours - as will the kickbacks.

For the umpteen times, zero baht tours have been clamped down by authorities in Thailand as well as China back in 2016. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If they scrapped the pass, it would be a good start. But, the clowns do not want to give up the control it gives them. Tourism here, as an industry, is pretty much finished. 1 to 5 million tourists annually, for the rest of our lives. They slaughtered the Golden Goose. 

The new motto. "Come visit the land of cowards, where there are masks as far as the eye can see". Even outdoors. Even on motorbikes! Masks, and more masks everywhere. A recipe for a great vacation. Masks and reduced nightlife. Come and have some fun! Thailand is unique. We are one of the few nations left that asks you to wear a mask everywhere you go, and grovel for permission to enter online. And though we already said masks would be scrapped in two weeks, we had a one day spike, and since we are neither courageous nor do we practice common sense, we will keep wearing them for a year or more.

Even outdoors. Even on the beach. Hopefully, we will see alot of civil disobedience.

Looking at the picture i would say masks are off again?

Talk about creation confusion but that is nothing new here.

We will see which way the wind blows tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Thai Pass has already been removed for those that matter.

The farang will just have to deal with it.  No one cares if you feel "muh discrimination".

toomuchyabba

• Haha 1