I was given the middle finger in Pattaya for stopping at a zebra crossing using my hazard lights.

jack71

I was driving down the road (on the left side) heading towards Pattaya main beach. The big aeroplane / shopping centre was on the left. I think it was the zebra crossing before the roundabout. Im unsure but maybe that road is 3 lanes or just 2. Anyways we were all driving around 50 approaching the zebra crossing and a guy and his lovely wife assertively walked on the zebra crossing forcing us to slow down and stop. Im in the habit of putting on my beeping hazard lights, when stopping at a zebra crossing, due to the fear of being rear ended. I came to a stop and he looked at me angry and gave me the middle finger. 

All I could think of was what a tosser. Lucky I wasn't a Thai national whose foot could have been taken off the brake and alternatively put on the accelerate pedal to run the guy over. 

Why was this guy <deleted>? I believe he might have been Russian. He was an obese guy wearing white shorts and white short sleeve shirt. Bad shoes. She was equally unappealing. 

What did I do wrong?

was he old too? probably too much estrogen 

Edited by dj230
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

You're posting about a Russian giving bad attitude?  For your own mental health you should have been over this by the time you cleared the intersection.

It was probably just his way of saying "ha-ha, you have to stop for me, _ssh_le!"

On youtube type in "russia dashcam" for some examples of how they drive in Russia.

..obviously your 'beeping hazard lights startled'...think about it. Maybe you should have given a stop hand signal out of the window to alert following vehicles you were stopping. Just drive for the road rules and not for the users.

maybe he was simply triggered by the sight of a farang in a motor vehicle. I always get nervous when I see you guys around Pattaya, I can't put my finger on it but there's something about the non-Thai way y'all drive that gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve just read the following on another forum... 

I’d gone for a walk to exercise in my comfy old gym shoes, I have a thyroid issue and have been battling weight all my life...   I was walking when I saw an old lady trying to cross the road by the big aeroplane / shopping centre....  While I was helping this lady across the pedestrian crossing this ayhole farang screeched to a halt started flashing his lights and beeping his horn....   was I wrong to give him the finger ????

????

Is there another forum other than Asean Now TV?? I wasn't aware of anything outside of Thai Visa. Can I join?

20 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I find the main reason they use them here is to give them the right to double or triple park with impunity.

Yes, and I always think back to a comment I felt valid. If someone parks illegally with their hazard lights on, they should be subjected to harsher punishments. They broke the law, knew they were doing it, but did it anyway. 

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

My experience with hazard lights in Thailand is that Thai drivers use it to indicate that they're going straight in a crossing. 

And mine too. I assume you meant straight on.

I first came across this up here Isaan, at a local village  crossroads.

I thought the guy in front had stalled/broken down so I started to drive around him when he pulled off directly across the road.

• Thanks 1

Your beeping hazard lights.  I’m guessing you just mean they make a beeping noise inside the vehicle when activated. 
If your vehicle was actually making an external beeping noise that could be the issue. 
I would be annoyed if this happened also.   Who knows why he did it. 
Just consider him as another quality tourist or expat in the LOS.