British / Thai boy - passport

Hi,

my son is 15 with a Thai mum and me (English national) as his father.

I have never taken him to the UK before and hope to go early next year. 

Do I need to get a Thai and British passport - I mean can he leave Thailand on a Thai passport and enter Uk on a British passport?

Also, do i need to get a Thai passport first and then a British passport?

Sorry for niaivity of my questions but Im a bit clueless with administration stuff.

Thank you very much in advance.

Yes, he can leave and re-enter Thailand using his Thai passport, ditto with UK passport.

Doesn't matter which one you obtain first they are not linked.

The Thai passport will be easy to get, provided his mother signs the appropriate papers and also gives permission for him to travel with you to UK.

Getting the UK passport may be harder depending on the level of proof of his entitlement, e.g. If he was born in the UK and has a UK birth certificate should be no problem, but if he doesn't and your relying on your name being on his Thai birth certificate, I may be wrong but I think a rough ride ahead. You need to check with UKPO in VFS offices in Bangkok.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

He cannot travel without a passport.

Best to get a UK passport and a Thai passport for him.

He will need to use the Thai passport to leave the country and then he can enter the UK with his UK passport.

• Thanks 2

i should explain further that he was born in Bangkok, has never been out of the country but I did register his birth at the British Embassy. He has a certificate of registration but Im not sure if this equates to a birth certificate

You will need to get your son Thai Passport (for him to exit and return to Thailand). 

You will need to get your son a British Passport (for him to enter the UK) OR, you can apply for a Visa for him to enter the UK as a Thai citizen with his Thai passport.

Both Passports are simple to get if you have the correct documentation. 

I assume he has a Thai ID card already, a Thai passport will be simple. 

For his UK Passport you will need to present your British Birth Certificate (full version) which shows that you were born in the UK which gives your son automatic rights to British Citizenship. 

If I’m not mistaken you will need a translation of his Thai Birth certificate notarised by the British Embassy. 

Applying for his British Passport could take a number of weeks (i.e. up to 10 at the moment because of delays at the passport office). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Sorry for niaivity of my questions but Im a bit clueless with administration stuff.

Clearly. 

Thai passport is easy to get.  British passport, you will have to prove paternity.  Check out the most recent requirements on.   

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-3

I suggest that you use an immigration agent as its by no means an easy process.  Are you on the Childs Thai Birth Certificate?  I hope so. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Clearly. 

Thai passport is easy to get.  British passport, you will have to prove paternity.  Check out the most recent requirements on.   

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-3

I suggest that you use an immigration agent as its by no means an easy process.  Are you on the Childs Thai Birth Certificate?  I hope so. 

Would that be an immigration agent in the UK or Thailand ?

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You will need to get your son a British Passport (for him to enter the UK) OR, you can apply for a Visa for him to enter the UK as a Thai citizen with his Thai passport.

Not sure about the UK rules but I could not get an EU visa for my kids as they have citizen rights. We had to get them their Dutch passport through the embassy in Bangkok or could not go to Europe.

• Thanks 1

Were you married before his birth? Seem to remember there being a difference if not for fathers. Mothers automatically pass on nationality whether or not married, fathers don’t (or didn’t) necessarily if not married. Still doable but more paperwork. But yes doesn’t matter which passport you get first, and no doesn’t need a British passport, but would need a UK visa in that case. Agents this side can help.  

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Were you married before his birth? Seem to remember there being a difference if not for fathers. Mothers automatically pass on nationality whether or not married, fathers don’t (or didn’t) necessarily if not married. Still doable but more paperwork. But yes doesn’t matter which passport you get first, and no doesn’t need a British passport, but would need a UK visa in that case. Agents this side can help.  

I think you might confuse 2 issues.

In Thailand, if not married to the mother, you don't have parental rights without a certain process. Also, some countries might demand an official DNA test results for proof he\she is your child, but most countries will accept the child's birth certificate as a proof.

Anyway, the op wrote that he has registered the child's birth with the British Embassy so I guess the child is already considered a British national and getting a passport should be easy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Whether you are married or not no longer makes any difference for a UK passport.  The British parent will need to show that they are British Otherwise Than By Descent and will need their long-form birth certificate or other citizenship documentation to prove this.  You apply via VFS in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  An agent can be used if necessary.  Seems like you will need to allow up to 11 weeks to get the passport!

A UK visa won't be issued if the child is eligible for a British passport.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For his UK Passport you will need to present your British Birth Certificate (full version) which shows that you were born in the UK which gives your son automatic rights to British Citizenship. 

What's the process for getting a British Birth Certificate (full version) from Thailand for a parent (UK pp holder)?

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

5 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Would that be an immigration agent in the UK or Thailand ?

Thailand, I would suggest a Bangkok based agent with a track record in that area. Sorry that I can't recommend one to you, but someone will I bet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Think of his long-term future and get both passports now. Fom the details you have shared seems to me getting both right now will be just mechanical.

But who knows what changes could happen in the various regulations and processes in the future. e.g. decades back it was close to automatic to get an Australian passport for Thai wife of Ozzie citizen. Not the same today, totally different regulations/process with multiple steps which take many years. 

• Thanks 1

I've just done my 2nd UK passport for my 11 year old. It's pretty straight forward if you read up on it. I've attached a booklet. It takes 12 weeks at present. You can apply from the UK as long as you have the relevant passport photos of correct size and documentation. You have to write a letter explaining the situation, the passport has to be sent to Bangkok for collection. Or if you are still in Thailand you can go the British Embassy and sort it there, but the application is still sent back to the UK to be made. You need his mother to write a letter of consent. I just wrote it myself and emailed it to my wife, she printed the letter out, and signed it. I then sent the letter by email back to the passport office, with a photo of my wife holding her I.D. card. 

6.4824_HMPO_Overseas_Guidance_Booklet_Applying_outside_the_uk.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bamboozle40 said:

I've just done my 2nd UK passport for my 11 year old. It's pretty straight forward if you read up on it. I've attached a booklet. It takes 12 weeks at present. You can apply from the UK as long as you have the relevant passport photos of correct size and documentation. You have to write a letter explaining the situation, the passport has to be sent to Bangkok for collection. Or if you are still in Thailand you can go the British Embassy and sort it there, but the application is still sent back to the UK to be made. You need his mother to write a letter of consent. I just wrote it myself and emailed it to my wife, she printed the letter out, and signed it. I then sent the letter by email back to the passport office, with a photo of my wife holding her I.D. card. 

6.4824_HMPO_Overseas_Guidance_Booklet_Applying_outside_the_uk.pdf 2.11 MB · 0 downloads

The passport photos have to be signed by someone of authority. I have a retired policeman lives next door. They have to know the child, and sign the declaration on the passport application, and sign the passport photos, saying it is a true likeness.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What's the process for getting a British Birth Certificate (full version) from Thailand for a parent (UK pp holder)?

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

• Thanks 2

If you are planning to travel in the next few months a Thai Passport, usually mailed to you after 4/5 days after applying and apply for a visa, British Passports are taking 10 weeks plus, We applied to renew my sons U.K. Passport the first week in March, still waiting for it be returned.

I would wait till he was 16 years old and then he can get a 10 year U.K. Passport.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He cannot travel without a passport.

Best to get a UK passport and a Thai passport for him.

He will need to use the Thai passport to leave the country and then he can enter the UK with his UK passport.

Yes. Have Thai / British son myself. 
Thai Passport was really easy with his Thai Birth Cert and Mother / Father matching Passports / Thai ID. 
One Hour at Bangkok Passport Office. Son took my family name so no mother travel permission needed (unless some court order in place)? 

UK Passport much more process but no problem. UK Embassy Birth Cert & Western Professional Signatory needed then VFS application from here ( best as avoids needing a UK Visa if Thai Passport Travel Only). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Yes. Have Thai / British son myself. 
Thai Passport was really easy with his Thai Birth Cert and Mother / Father matching Passports / Thai ID. 
One Hour at Bangkok Passport Office. Son took my family name so no mother travel permission needed (unless some court order in place)? 

UK Passport much more process but no problem. UK Embassy Birth Cert & Western Professional Signatory needed then VFS application from here ( best as avoids needing a UK Visa if Thai Passport Travel Only). 

I think it might be difficult to find a western professional signatory in Thailand more so they are supposed to have known the child for 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think it might be difficult to find a western professional signatory in Thailand more so they are supposed to have known the child for 2 years.

If the signatory has a reasonable.  I think their signature is acceptable. 

I have had friends sign for me in the past (lawyer)...  I think it would be ok for a teacher at an international school etc to sign (if you know any)... or any expat you know with a reasonable job.

It's not something that seems to be taken so seriously. 

I even signed for someone once, they had no one else (my work is overseas on rotation) - that seemed to be fine. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

If the signatory has a resemble job.  I think their signature is acceptable. 

I have had friends sign for me in the past (lawyer)...  I think it would be ok for a teacher at an international school etc to sign (if you know any)... or any expat you know with a reasonable job.

It's not something that seems to be take so seriously. 

I even signed for someone once, they had no one else (my work is overseas on rotation) - that seemed to be fine. 

It's all just another bit of UK officialdom gone crazy.  You could have known a child a few days after it was born and never see it again until asked many years later to sign and say that this is that child. Utter BS and on the odd occasion then yes checks can be made on the signatory which will show nothing other to say he or she was who they said they were.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If the signatory has a reasonable.  I think their signature is acceptable. 

It's not something that seems to be taken so seriously. 

so not difficult and IS required. 

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

It's all just another bit of UK officialdom gone crazy.  You could have known a child a few days after it was born and never see it again until asked many years later to sign and say that this is that child. Utter BS and on the odd occasion then yes checks can be made on the signatory which will show nothing other to say he or she was who they said they were.

I countersigned U.K. Passport forms online for a friends kids, I was emailed by the Passport Office to verify I had known the kids, from what I remember they accepted my signature for the first child, renewal but rejected it for the second one for some reason, it was his first Passport.

The same friend went to VFS Global in Bangkok to get his older son a U.K. Passport, he forgot to get the photograph and form countersigned, fella in the queue signed them for him, received a Passport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

No good for births in Thailand as here . I speak only of my case eight years ago. 

I assumed you were talking about the birth certificate of the British parent which is required to prove that they are British Otherwise Than By Descent and can therefore pass on their citizenship to a child born outside the UK.