You're from where ...

KhunLA

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Somewhere in the middle of it is this Buddhist museum, I think it was private.  Made for a interesting day-trip date.

I am honored to meet the OTHER person who has been to the Tibetan Museum in Staten Island. I knew someone who interned there and said days would go by without a visitor. It's not easy to get to.

The rich woman who assembled that small room of nice bronze statues never left America. Nor was she a Buddhist. It was all bought at auction, about half of them in a single spree.

Sadly, Jimmy Hoffa being interred in the bridge has been debunked.

I always tell Baseball-loving foreign visitors to give the rightly ignored Staten Island baseball team a visit. They're stadium is on the water and it's like visiting a baseball game 50 years ago in terms of low key ambience. 

Thankfully, there is no specific Staten Island Culture. It extends to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and then in the other direction to Bayonne, New Jersey. Says my genius brother, "3 tribes connected by 2 bridges."

SI culture is: being a blockhead, 8 hour red sauce, and having a girlfriend who thinks sex is dirty, but will still put out.

OK, OK, I miss 2 of those things. 

20 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

SI culture is: being a blockhead, 8 hour red sauce, and having a girlfriend who thinks sex is dirty, but will still put out.

Yeah, with neighborhood girls in NYC 'no' can sometimes mean "you're going to have to try harder than that, buster!"  This can lead to culture shock when venturing west of New Jersey.

Thanks for the info re the Tibetian museum, I don't think I've seen any sort of media mention of it.  I think it involved 2 buses after the ferry.

• Haha 1

Sex with woman who think it's shameful but are also gagging for it may have gone the way of the Stagecoach. I pity the young who can dial up anal on tinder. It may be as tight, but no way is it as hot.

My experience is that this is unavailable at any price in the sex-mecca known as Thailand. Them being repulsed by me is a weak consolation prize for being fake-repulsed by the act itself, but still ready to seal the girlfriend-deal.

I had a GF (Italian-American, Fordham Road, like a chubbier Marissa Tomie) who used to have a statue of the Virgin Mary on top of her toilet, so she could look at it instead of her body after drying off after a shower. Just demented sex at Story of O levels.

This has always made me curious about dipping a toe in the Muslim pool -but the honor killing thing is a downer.

16 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Where do you come from? also generally infers in most cases  a subtle bigotry as well.

Or a simple curiosity as stated in the OP.  Got some very interesting & funny replies also.

It is in the 'fun' forum after all.

3 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I had a GF (Italian-American, Fordham Road, like a chubbier Marissa Tomie) who used to have a statue of the Virgin Mary on top of her toilet, so she could look at it instead of her body after drying off after a shower. Just demented sex at Story of O levels.

555 - laughed at that being raised a good Catholic boy !

Had a GF from Western Africa - ballet dancer. Fanatic Christian.

Crawled out of bed on my hands and knees many a time - and I was 18, same age as I am now

9 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I applaud your wisdom on staying on the ferry, the area around the terminal is pretty nothing.

But your story dates you; post 9/11, you have to exit the ferry and wait a half hour for the next one. On the other hand, they have a nice, big fish tank to entertain you for 2.5 of those minutes. 

I thought people would be asking me about P4P in Haiti.

It costs a dollar, don't wear a condom, wear a space suit.

My dates go back to the 1970s and I really don't remember much... 

I don't own a suit of any kind - - so, I will stay here

5 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I had a GF (Italian-American, Fordham Road, like a chubbier Marissa Tomie)

Hey, I think I knew her.  Was her name Donna?

I lived around there in the 1970s.  I married my gf after her mother caught us going at it.  I moved to that neighborhood.

It was there I first saw a guy (a civilian, not a celebrity) get the Tom Jones treatment, meaning the girls would throw themselves at him.  And these were hard-to-get Bronx girls.  Even my wife/gf was affected (she was PR, that's all I'll say).  Of course I didn't get it.  He had that olive-skinned Italian look.  Every girl knew he was a real air hole as well as lousy in the sack, but still the whispers "ooo,  there's Tommy!"  I came to the realization that if I could figure what is causing these women to behave this way life could be real sweet for me.  I never did.  But I did move to California a few years later, where things were not so difficult.

17 hours ago, bendejo said:

Hey, I used to do that too! 

They don't call it Richmond anymore, do they?  I remember when they named it that, but I can't recall hearing anybody saying it.  Somewhere in the middle of it is this Buddhist museum, I think it was private.  Made for a interesting day-trip date.

Also the Statue of Liberty island.  I realized everyone gets off the ferry, goes directly to the statue, then comes out and gets back on a ferry.  NO ONE (in 1970s) walked around the island, not even the park police.  So I'd find a peaceful spot on the edge of the water, smoke a joint and take in the view.  I did that a number of times.

The Narrows bridge took forever to build.  In the distant future, when all we have has turned to dust and a new civilization emerges, archeologists are going to find what's left of that bridge's foundation and find all those human remains the mobs threw into the cement, and they are going to puzzle over the strange funeral practices of the ancient peoples. 

It was just a romantic night trip.. out on the water and cheap too. I think i only did it a couple of times. Rarely left the west village

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It was just a romantic night trip.. out on the water and cheap too. I think i only did it a couple of times. Rarely left the west village

This sounds like a "too cool to go above 14th Street" claim.  Haven't heard one of those in a long time.  Ohio?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

This sounds like a "too cool to go above 14th Street" claim.  Haven't heard one of those in a long time.  Ohio?

After rolling stone magazine moved to nyc i would go to central park once a week to play softball on their team. I was a ringer center fielder. That was abt it for going past 14th street. 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:31 AM, Captain Monday said:

Where do you come from? also generally infers in most cases  a subtle bigotry as well.

Not at all. It is like discussing the weather. It is simply an ice breaker. I don't ask unless I already have an idea, So really I am asking for confirmation. One cannot break the ice with a Kiwi by asking "What about them Yankees" as Kiwis don't generally play baseball. Likewise silly trying to break the ice with a yank buy mentioning Man. United. Really no point in asking a guy from Rwanda if he is from Naples.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Not at all. It is like discussing the weather. It is simply an ice breaker. I don't ask unless I already have an idea, So really I am asking for confirmation. One cannot break the ice with a Kiwi by asking "What about them Yankees" as Kiwis don't generally play baseball. Likewise silly trying to break the ice with a yank buy mentioning Man. United. Really no point in asking a guy from Rwanda if he is from Naples.

I already know where somebody "comes from" by a combination of appearance, spoken language or accent and clothes. So if I break the ice I use something less banal. You don't know how many times I have experienced "where u from mate? " as a rejoinder to launch an anti- American tirade. They should stop beating about the bush.  

I also think it is racist and stupid to assume somebody speaks English just because they appear to have "white skin". 

12 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You don't know how many times I have experienced "where u from mate? " as a rejoinder to launch an anti- American tirade.

Never ask a question unless you already know the answer????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually the accent is a giveaway but with a lot of Chinese learning American it can get confusing????

One has to listen for clues. Restroom vs washroom.

A different area. Thongs vs jandles, 

Etc.

Of course being exposed to different accents helps. 

as a rejoinder to launch an anti- American tirade.

Oops.????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You qualify that Pattaya is in Thailand, but where is Alabama please

I grew up in Anniston and moved to Mobile, on to Birmingham and finally landed in Troy, Alabama where I worked for a university radio station for the final 12 years of my working life. Alabama is in the southern part of the United States.

Edited by Nickelbeer
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:53 PM, KhunLA said:

Only Russia & Ukraine (EU) are larger than Texas.  So yes, many states are the size of countries.

Gosh Oz / Canada smaller then Texas...I think I will throw away my maps .

Oz 7.688 million km²

Texas 695,662 km²

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Gosh Oz / Canada smaller then Texas...I think I will throw away my maps .

Oz 7.688 million km²

Texas 695,662 km²

Since the overlay was on EU, and I had added (EU) along with except Scandinavian countries, I thought the implied comparison would be obvious. 

Silly me, apparently taking too much for granted.

38 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

I grew up in Anniston and moved to Mobile, on to Birmingham and finally landed in Troy, Alabama where I worked for a university radio station for the final 12 years of my working life. Alabama is in the southern part of the United States.

The sarcasm was not realised.

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Silly me, apparently taking too much for granted.

I am much to thick for most of these posts  KhunLa....and I find that the sauvignon this time of night doesn't help to much--but keep trying mate I might stumble open the odd post that I read correctly ..................:omfg:

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The sarcasm was not realised.

You are correct. I saw no hint of sarcasm. I suppose that means I am a “hillbilly” or any number of OTHER ad hominems that those from Alabama and the south are subject to. Go ahead, have your fun. I may be a hillbilly but I managed to get a Master’s Degree.  Why don’t you drag out the tired old subject of the Confederate flag?  I have Confederate toilet paper in my bathroom. Frequently surprised by the temerity exhibited here. ????

10 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

You are correct. I saw no hint of sarcasm. I suppose that means I am a “hillbilly” or any number of OTHER ad hominems that those from Alabama and the south are subject to. Go ahead, have your fun. I may be a hillbilly but I managed to get a Master’s Degree.  Why don’t you drag out the tired old subject of the Confederate flag?  I have Confederate toilet paper in my bathroom. Frequently surprised by the temerity exhibited here. ????

You've got me all wrong. I am English and could not give a 4uck about the Confederate flag, or your Master's Degree. I was just having a bit of fun with my reply. Sorry if it upset you.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:19 AM, KhunLA said:

People do learn from their mistakes.  The Republic has been going strong for 235 yrs, minus 1 major speed bump.  Not bad at all for a country that's only 246 yrs old.

The native Indians owned it for a zillion years before, though, shame they were ousted....????

2022  Doi Saket  (H)

2015=2020  Lamphun (Farm)

2005 - 2021  Chiangmai (H)

2002 =2005  Doi Saket (H)

between 1986 through  2004  :  more than a year each place

San Antonio, TX     

Kerrville, TX (H)

Chiangrai, Thailand (H)

Fang , Thailand (H)

1984,85    Sonoma County , CA

1973 = 1983  SF, CA

circa 1970  Austin, TX