Can you save on petrol and diesel costs in Thailand?

webfact

tk.jpg

File photo for reference only

OPINION | by Michael Bridge

With the global rise in fuel costs, all of us are thinking twice before taking the car for a long journey.

Currently the average price of gasoline in Thailand is THB 52.650 per litre while across the world for this period it was THB71.68 a litre.

So, making fewer journeys is perhaps the most obvious way to save our money as the cost of filling up a car has almost doubled in the past few months.

But what other ways can you reduce fuel consumption?

Here are five popular tips from motoring experts, and whether they really work.

1.    Is 90kms the best average speed to drive?

Many motorists consider driving at exactly 90kms to be optimum for fuel-efficiency.

However, there is no ideal fixed driving speed, according to many motoring groups.

The 90kms myth, it says, came out of old fuel consumption tests at 90kms and at 120kms.

The most efficient was 90kms, which led people to think this was always the best speed.

However, depending on the type of car and its size, most motoring experts say 72-80kms is the most efficient.

2) Should I switch off the air conditioner?

Thailand is hot so our air conditioner is always on.

However, if you've ever tried to resist the urge to turn on the air conditioner on a hot summer's day to save fuel, you were right to do so.

Extra energy is needed to power a car's air conditioning system and turning it on can increase your fuel consumption by up to 10%.

The impact might be more noticeable on shorter trips because the air conditioner must use more power initially to bring down the inside temperature of your car.

Opening your windows might be a better option, however, this may create a separate problem called "drag". 

This is where your engine must work harder to compensate for the air resistance created by the open windows.

If you're forced to choose between two, the best option will depend on your speed. 

The air conditioner is probably better above 80kms because the faster you drive the greater the drag caused by open windows.

3) Does coasting save fuel?

Coasting is when you drive with the car in neutral, or with the clutch pedal held down.

Most experts recommend against coasting. 

Not only could it be unsafe (because you can't accelerate out of a tricky situation), they say it's unlikely to save you any petrol.

It says most cars have electric controls which cut the supply of fuel each time you take your foot off the accelerator - so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.

4) Does cruise control save fuel?

Cruise control is a device that keeps your car at a constant speed without using the accelerator pedal. It is often seen as a surefire way to save fuel, as it avoids unnecessary acceleration and harsh braking.

However, this may only be true when it comes to motorway driving, due to the constant flat surface.

On other road types, you are more likely to come across hills and your cruise control will take time to adjust to the change in gradient, using up more fuel in the process.

Normally you take your foot off the accelerator as you begin to descend a hill, but as your cruise control can't see what's in front it spends extra time using power - leading to worse fuel consumption.

5) Will the wrong tyre pressure use more petrol?

Underinflated tyres will definitely use up extra petrol. 

The advice is to check your pressures regularly, especially before heading off on a long journey.

The correct pressure will be listed in your car's manual, but you may need to increase it to the recommended maximum if you're carrying several passengers and heavy luggage.

6) Empty the trunk

Many of us drive around with items in the trunk that we do not need.

Therefore, any extra weight will still use up additional fuel. So, leave out anything you don't need, like a heavy set of golf clubs!!!!

Apart from taking to a bicycle or walking these tips may help a bit to reduce your weekly fuel bills.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My ruminations on this may well be flawed as I'm rubbish at Maths & would welcome input from more skilful people. 

If you drive fast you use more fuel?  A bigger engine uses more fuel?  Fierce acceleration is wasteful?  Braking = wasted fuel?

Given the above is it possible to arrive at a figure in baht for some of these driving methods? (small/medium/large car.)

If these figures were publicised in Thai mass media, would this deter the average Thai motorist from emptying their tank to get one place ahead of me at the next red light?  Would it stop them using the car in front as a tool for braking?  Will it be the death of speaker vans holding traffic up with announcements no one will hear?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

My ruminations on this may well be flawed as I'm rubbish at Maths & would welcome input from more skilful people. 

If you drive fast you use more fuel?  A bigger engine uses more fuel?  Fierce acceleration is wasteful?  Braking = wasted fuel?

Given the above is it possible to arrive at a figure in baht for some of these driving methods? (small/medium/large car.)

If these figures were publicised in Thai mass media, would this deter the average Thai motorist from emptying their tank to get one place ahead of me at the next red light?  Would it stop them using the car in front as a tool for braking?  Will it be the death of speaker vans holding traffic up with announcements no one will hear?

Thanks that saved me some typing. 

I try to drive smoothly without excessive or unneeded acceleration and breaking but that's made more difficult by the drivers you mention. They see anything more than a one and a half vehicle length space that you've left to facilitate smooth driving as a vacuum they need to urgently fill. 

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Don't use a petrol driven motored vehicle. 

Issues resolved.

I find diesel to be cheap enough, wife keeps cursing when she has to put petrol in hers, I said, I told you, diesel Tiruk, diesel, at 35.65 baht a litre, I find it affordable, only up around 5 baht more to what I used to pay.

"Currently the average price of gasoline in Thailand is THB 52.650 per litre"

Where did he get that from never seen that anywhere.

On another note I've noticed when I switch the air con on the revs go up but if I've been driving a while before turning it on they stay the same.

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

My experience here in Isaan is that it has been very noticeable over the last few months that many drivers are driving slower to save money. Can be irritating, but overall not much effect because the slower vehicles make it easier to plan a non-consumptive overtaking manoeuvre!

Edited by SantiSuk
typo

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

LPG conversion starts from some 20k, gas price is 1/3 of petrol.

Within a few months return on investment.

Alternatively NGV conversion, but 2x more expensive and not that many stations. 

NGV is the cheapest at around 15.6 baht/kg.

But you're right there aren't many stations around, luckily I live right next to one.

At first I thought LPG was cheaper but it's sold by the litre and the density is much lower so one litre is only around half a kilogramme.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:42 AM, webfact said:

Many motorists consider driving at exactly 90kms to be optimum for fuel-efficiency.

RPM is more of an indicator of fuel burn.

Plus driving skills can save fuel.

Drive smoothly instead of erratically and you notice the difference.

20 hours ago, kokesaat said:

38mpg+ in my 2018 Revo, diesel 2.4l engine, 90-95kph, but I can squeeze out 40mpg if I drive 70-80kph.

Is that a 4.54 litre gallon, or a 3.78 liter gallon ?

• Haha 1