is it time to go live in a wooden shack on a deserted island?

bob smith

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Maybe you should spend some time in your man cave 

brushing up on, your reading and comprehension.

It will help with the blisters on your right palm. 

I???????? you will go on my aseannow weird list. ????

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Beats me why anyone would want to do that.

The three imperatives for most people are food, shelter and sex. Thailand has all three in abundance at low cost, I'm staying put.

Well said.

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

U think 2022 is worse than 1943?

I imagine that 1943 was a year of soaring optimism for our parents and grandparents - maybe not others amongst us...

2022 has been a dreadful year, but brought about by harvesting the fruits of our own stupidity as much as the trials and tribulations that fate dealt us in the preceding years.

I have no idea if 2022 is worse than 1943, and I am sure it pales into insignificance compared to the horrors of 1916 or 1919, but it is much fresher in the memory.  My memory, at least.

19 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I imagine that 1943 was a year of soaring optimism for our parents and grandparents - maybe not others amongst us...

2022 has been a dreadful year, but brought about by harvesting the fruits of our own stupidity as much as the trials and tribulations that fate dealt us in the preceding years.

I have no idea if 2022 is worse than 1943, and I am sure it pales into insignificance compared to the horrors of 1916 or 1919, but it is much fresher in the memory.  My memory, at least.

1543 vs 2022

Life is easy now

26 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

1543 vs 2022

Life is easy now

Everyone enjoys a bit of struggle, except those that have to.

I don't remember 1543, but 1453 was a particularly momentous year, with the fall of Constantinople to the army of Mehmet II (not a spelling that I have seen recently - don't get me started on that), and the discovery of the world by the Chinese (strictly speaking, 1421 according to Menzies).

Times change, people move on, things are not the same as they once were, then is not now.  We can whinge if we want to, but that is our choice. 

SC

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

with the state of the world now, wars, economy, disease

Cheer up mate, the world is great place to be, I'm living the dream. 

BTW, put those knives away, I don't want to see you hurt yourself. 

Get some help if you're struggling. 

• Haha 1

We actually have a handbuilt wooden shack on a remote island! But it's in Canada & my blood has gotten too thin for that climate. It's an expensive paradise & a bit too close to Big Brother for safety.

I'll take my chances here. If Bangkok sinks, we've got a country property, no house, for refuge.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand why you state that it's cheap to live here and I have no problems with police or immigrantion.

Cheaper than western countries and I always hated going to immigration; so much so that I paid an agent to do it for me.

Never had a problem with the cops but only because I did nothing for them to notice me.

18 hours ago, marin said:

Koh Chang is in no way deserted. In fact it is overbuilt. Next time go to Koh Kut same area but no cars. Only song taew trucks and motorbikes.  

Now you've mentioned Koh Kut that'll be overun next time you go????

51 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Barter = give everything to a roaming band of teens w/machetes and hope they don't kill you anyway? 

Not the best idea to bring a machete to a gunfight

• Like 2

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Would this shack on a desert island have Internet,

and a girl friday, if so no problem.

regards worgeordie

Yep W. I gotta have the www so I can watch the apocalypse unfold ... To our original poster; Nowhere is safe mate, nowhere. Go buy an island thousands of miles away for others, off main shipping routes, no air strip, and build yourself a survivalist fortress  and you'll last a little while longer.

• Like 1

If only camping was allowed on Area 51 USA ....,???? we could have a chance those aliens pick us up by their next visit .....our  only chance ....????

????

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, grain said:

Been a few years since we last went to Koh Changy. We live in Koraty but for this past week we've been on a motoring trip, first to Khony Kaeny, then to Udony Thany, now we're in Nongy Khaiy. Been having a very nicey timey. ????

“Are you all sitty comftybold two-square on your botty? Then I'll begin"   - Are you related to Stanley Unwin ? 

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 1