Brick and mortar retail is dead

VinnieK

hat yai is bigger now than 20 years ago with so much more shopping and eating options. maybe the market is over saturated.

total lack of tourism is probably the biggest factor effecting the city and the things you mention.

plus why bother going all the way to hat yai when you can spend your time in sadao. much of the local entertainment has closed and now concentrated in sadao right ? 

you may find brick and motor start to make a come back in some forms. 

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

WAY too many times I've tried finding items at a mall only to come up empty handed, whereas I can sit in the comfort of my home and find exactly what I want using Lazada.

Apart from food and clothes i buy everything from Lazada.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sezze said:

Visit 10 different shops in Thailand and they all sell the same stuff.  [I added the emphasis] There are few specialty stores , but by far most are just always the same . 2nd , most stores do not know what they sell , they sell the box and the price quoted , anything else is completely unknown . On the other side , i can go from my chair and order all food from Grab , order with all choice i want from Lazada or Shopee , with just the same knowledge ( in fact more since i can look up on the internet reviews or user manuals ...) and it will come to my door in a few days . No need to go driving around for hours and hours to find the item i want .

I noticed that the first time I drove from Pattaya to Roi Et. I couldn't tell where ANY town ended and the next began.

• Like 1

Brick and mortar still seem alive and well in Pattaya.  We just had a huge, new home improvement store called Mega Home open.  Not to be confused with Mega Furniture, which also recently opened.  We already have 2 Home Pro stores, Baan and Beyond, Thai Watsadu, Boonthavorn, Home Mart, and numerous smaller paint, lumber, plumbing, hardware stores, etc.  My partner and I stopped in and checked it out; seemed to be doing ok business.  Partner asked the sales staff and apparently Mega Home is owned by the same entity that owns Home Pro.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Things will go downward worldwide, probably for the rest of the century. And the third world will probably suffer most. Thailand is in the third world, come to Isaan if you want proof (household income/debt, education level, health, etc.)

Pretty negative outlook. There is going to be some downturn while we wait to see if the war in Europe spreads or can be contained and if the Chinese will go ahead with their planned invasion of Taiwan. If the latter happens, things will really change for everyone, especially those in the Western Pacific. If it doesn't happen, then I can't see a downturn lasting for the rest of the century...

• Thanks 1

"Talks of huge automotive manufacturers moving to Vietnam?" international companies are all looking for the highest profit they can get. When tax incentives are offered and labour is cheap they will go anywhere. As soon as their required time, to gain the incentives,  is up they will move on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

One would have to be crazy not to think the entire Thai economy has stalled and is in a serious rut.

Political termoil with who will be the next leader, and their anticipated 4 year corrupt money grab to line their own pockets will make matters even worse.

Talks of huge automotive manufacturers moving to Vietnam?

Tourism is coming no where near predicted expectations and may never return to pre-covid levels.

The real kicker, is you have to ask what exactly has the government done to prevent this negative economic slide the past couple years and what exactly are they doing today? Submarines? F35's? How exactly does that help the nation?

They are too busy clinging to power, to even devote one ounce of effort to solving any of the countries problems.

Debt is going through the roof.

Things can only get much worse.

What you mention about the situation in Thailand is also valid in (most) othet countries, all over the world.

There seems to be no government, anywhere, that had or has an answer to the changes.

57 minutes ago, Inala said:

Pretty negative outlook. There is going to be some downturn while we wait to see if the war in Europe spreads or can be contained and if the Chinese will go ahead with their planned invasion of Taiwan. If the latter happens, things will really change for everyone, especially those in the Western Pacific. If it doesn't happen, then I can't see a downturn lasting for the rest of the century...

I guess you have embraced denial, and chosen to ignore the reality of the immense adjustments we have to make this century if we want to save the planet. This will happen only with "blood, toil, tears and sweat", for which the younger generations are totally unprepared.

23 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I wouldn't say the new Mega Home is doing "ok" !   I went in today to check it out and I was probably about the only one there !   Definite oversupply of DIY stores .  Do Home is another massive store and also very quiet .  There probably was a big demand for building/plumbing /electrical materials over the last 2 years while these huge Condos (CocoCabana et al ) were under construction however most sit empty ( Jomtien 2nd road ) and I would love to know whose buying into these horribly designed monstrosities (probably sold off-plan to the Chinese who now can't pay for them )  . We've had Nordic , whose next ??  Seven Seas ?  Another looming Evergrand ??  and what about the quality of construction -  aaaah !!       

What Quality..NON

12 hours ago, VinnieK said:

No offence but I think politics has nothing to do with it 

Much bigger forces at play 

Online shopping, over-supply of retail outlets and the pandemic are the key factors imo 

Example...two new big home improvement centers opened this year..one in HatYai and one near Songkla..

Hint...they were not needed

As many as 2-3 dozen upmarket restos and coffee shops have opened in Songkla in the last 3 years..even during the pandemic!!!

In a town not known for sophistication

No matter what is selling, people need to have money to buy.

No buyers, out of business, pretty simple

Also, when businesses are built with free corruption money, or never ending corruption money, a loss is not the same as a person loosing everything they own.

Look at who is opening these businesses, and where their money came from

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Brick and mortar still seem alive and well in Pattaya.  We just had a huge, new home improvement store called Mega Home open.  Not to be confused with Mega Furniture, which also recently opened.  We already have 2 Home Pro stores, Baan and Beyond, Thai Watsadu, Boonthavorn, Home Mart, and numerous smaller paint, lumber, plumbing, hardware stores, etc.  My partner and I stopped in and checked it out; seemed to be doing ok business.  Partner asked the sales staff and apparently Mega Home is owned by the same entity that owns Home Pro.

Just because you think the business is doing ok?

Come on man, you have zero idea of the start up costs, inventory and how far in debt this store cost to open.