Deputy head of Thailand’s corruption watchdog fired for being ‘unusually wealthy’

snoop1130

Quite amazing the level of corruption here. From the 2-20k to move something local through the system, to monthly payments to police, to 100's of millions being skimmed at the national level. I suppose this guy got a bit too greedy and someone wanted him exposed. 

• Like 1

This is not a new case. It first came up in 2019 with a smaller amount of 227 million. Perhaps the news should be that it took NACC three years to fire him. I wonder what cases he worked on in that time.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/senior-nacc-official-faulted-for-omitting-227m-baht-from-asset-declaration/

He was on the junta’s National Reform Committee which unsurprisingly led to no reforms prior to joining the NACC. He is obviously very well connected. I wonder who he crossed so he couldn’t sort this all out. Originally his wife was caught by AMLO taking excessive commissions from a PTT subsidiary in Indonesia as a land broker there. I wonder if she’s ever been there.  No suggestion that any PTT executives are being prosecuted for approving the commissions.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Right, so I assume the assets confiscated will only be in Thailand.

Therefore, he retains his overseas ill-gotten gains.

I wonder why no-one ever picked up his substantial overseas transfers ? Every time I send money home, I am reminded of my daily/monthly/annual transfer limits on my e-banking page. Surely it would not be that difficult for someone to identify frequent/large overseas transfers and review these ? Corruption is bad enough but when the money is leaving the local economy, that only doubles up on the pain for the populace.

I saw the ironic humour in this particular case but that soon wore off for me.

This really is a total disgrace and embarrassment for Thailand. Lord only knows how the locals put up with this nonsense and until something changes, I am afraid Thailand is only going to be operating marginally above banana republic status and the quality of life for the average Thai will increase at a snail's pace. 

One can only hope those in power (across all political groups) are so arrogant, ignorant and complacent that one day they simply push it too far and the house of cards collapses.....

Carried out in suitcases....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Shazam, the watchman's money to see the case disappear, the brown envelope from Prayut and his cronies to see things go there way... etc...etc...etc...., They should all have their wealth and everyone in there family should be checked as well.....corruption in the Anti Corruption investigations department, who would have thunk it.....lol

I mean that must be a huge egg on the face that a really senior guy in this organization is found corrupt. It just shows how deep corruption is routed. Its totally unbelievable. But even worse they probably wont do much more as firing him. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Right, so I assume the assets confiscated will only be in Thailand.

Therefore, he retains his overseas ill-gotten gains.

I wonder why no-one ever picked up his substantial overseas transfers ? Every time I send money home, I am reminded of my daily/monthly/annual transfer limits on my e-banking page. Surely it would not be that difficult for someone to identify frequent/large overseas transfers and review these ? Corruption is bad enough but when the money is leaving the local economy, that only doubles up on the pain for the populace.

I saw the ironic humour in this particular case but that soon wore off for me.

This really is a total disgrace and embarrassment for Thailand. Lord only knows how the locals put up with this nonsense and until something changes, I am afraid Thailand is only going to be operating marginally above banana republic status and the quality of life for the average Thai will increase at a snail's pace. 

One can only hope those in power (across all political groups) are so arrogant, ignorant and complacent that one day they simply push it too far and the house of cards collapses.....

They could confiscate all money in banks around the world...............................if they want to